Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Slandrew View Post
    Who cares lets hope they all continue building all 3 brands and not wind up like Detroit
    I would have to guess that even with this move, greater Detroit still outproduces Washington NC. But it's just a guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Detroit_Skyline_1.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Not that they are bad boats to own--so if you have one don't be offended by my two cents!!!!!

With bean counters obviously running things, moving to cut production costs, etcetera. Can see Donzi producing more mass appeal runabouts like the Regazza again. In short, like the car biz, I'm betting its all about the badge and name Donzi brings to the table over carrying on the legacy of why that badge means something! Badge engineering--well it sucks, but can work well--Time will tell if they'll build boats that carry on the legacy or sell out badge engineering to up sell boats that`have nothing to do with their badge--like a Regazza Donzi in name only!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    I would have to guess that even with this move, greater Detroit still outproduces Washington NC. But it's just a guess.
    Are you talking about employment or boat production

4. Collapse Details

Are you talking about employment or boat production
    I guess I was talking about everything that factors into making a place qualify to be referred to someplace that "wound up" like Detroit. Loss of jobs, loss of employers, eroded tax base, bad real estate and well... historically speaking, as Michigan pretty much revolves around Detroit, boat production. Perhaps you meant something else. If I misunderstood, I apologize.

My guess was that a reduced capacity or "wound up like" status Detroit/Michigan production level of anything would be more than the total GDP of Washington, NC which has a population around 13,000 people and a per capita income of around $14,000.

I do a lot of business in Detroit. I have never been to Washington NC, so I admit that I could be guessing way off. Washington NC looks very beautiful.

I hope that helps.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    It's kind of funny that the marine industries "Big 3" are being compared to Detroits
    "Big 3" ......these 2 Big 3's are Worlds apart!!!!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    BTW I just did a job at the Pontiac GM plant whose power plant is now operated by DTE and it is a complete ghost town with everything cannibilized with nothing left but empty buildings and 25000 unemployed from GM alone 90000 for the entire industry from that area!!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

7. Collapse Details

Who cares lets hope they all continue building all 3 brands and not wind up like Detroit
    Zactly!!!!

8. Collapse Details

Registered
    the next Thunderboat row . Why not ,might get intersting.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mdkeywest View Post
    the next Thunderboat row . Why not ,might get intersting.
    Hope not

10. Collapse Details

Also there was a lot more than boat building going on @Thunderboat row sad but true!Different state different world
    Last edited by Slandrew; 12-04-2010 at 01:47 PM.

11. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    I guess I was talking about everything that factors into making a place qualify to be referred to someplace that "wound up" like Detroit. Loss of jobs, loss of employers, eroded tax base, bad real estate and well... historically speaking, as Michigan pretty much revolves around Detroit, boat production. Perhaps you meant something else. If I misunderstood, I apologize.

My guess was that a reduced capacity or "wound up like" status Detroit/Michigan production level of anything would be more than the total GDP of Washington, NC which has a population around 13,000 people and a per capita income of around $14,000.

I do a lot of business in Detroit. I have never been to Washington NC, so I admit that I could be guessing way off. Washington NC looks very beautiful.

I hope that helps.
    Although Detroit, Flint , Pontiac have taen huge hits the industry still employs a bunch of people, example -
    The GM tech center alone is home to 16,000 GM engineers, designers, and technicians
    ed

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TCEd View Post
    Although Detroit, Flint , Pontiac have taen huge hits the industry still employs a bunch of people, example -
    The GM tech center alone is home to 16,000 GM engineers, designers, and technicians
    ed
    That's what was on my mind. Not that the damage isn't extensive. Just that the scale was so big that a reduced capacity detroit/michigan is still well, alive. The challenges remain and are great, no question. The Crain's Detroit Business book of lists will be out soon. It's a great reference for who the players still are, numbers of employees, gross sales, etc.

Hopefully things go very well for Donzi in NC.

13. Collapse Details

Hopefully they do or I am out business.

Both Florida factories are small and not getting any younger. Plenty of room at Fountain. Each boat line will remain seperate. No more Baja by Fountain either, just Baja. Look for Donzi to be almost custom, Proline to build performance fish boats, Fountain has already redesigned the fishboats through SKA focus groups. No more rocks and sticks, Liberty seems to be using Lazors. FYI Reggie seems very happy!

14. Collapse Details

Well having been around boat building so long, I think that when it comes down to a boat that needs to be completed by the end of the day, the Donzi guys will be asked to help the Fountain guys complete the boat, and the reverse. The Baja's will not have balsa coring, or gelcoat graphics to help speed-up and streamline production. Hey, I bet all the decals and models ID's will be on the same shelf in the warehouse. Boat buyers are more brand loyal than in other industries, so I say if your a "Fountain guy" but want a 27' bowrider to make the wife happy, Liberty can grab the 277 Baja Islander molds, and build a boat with Fountain logos all over it! Everybody's Happy!

XT

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by hugo View Post
    FYI Reggie seems very happy!
    Im not so sure thats even close to being true!!

16. Collapse Details

ther is no such thing as a Fountain guy buying a bowrider to make his wife happy. There is also no chance of the donzi guys helping the fountain guys finish a boat. The companies are in the same location but are completely seperate. I talk to these guys everyday.

17. Collapse Details

ther is no such thing as a Fountain guy buying a bowrider to make his wife happy. There is also no chance of the donzi guys helping the fountain guys finish a boat. The companies are in the same location but are completely seperate. I talk to these guys everyday.
    True

18. Collapse Details

The companys must keep seperate to keep their true idenity.

19. Collapse Details

I have been to the plant its not big enough to have all these companies separate. They will have to work together. Couldn't imagine 4 different companies working separately in one building(fountains actually a bunch of separate smaller buildings).

20. Collapse Details

I talk to these guys everyday.
    It is good to have someone so close to what is going on with all the changes. I worked many years with Blane at Baja, and he really knows the product well, but can you tell us all how many employees currently work for each indvidual company? I think that would give us all a good idea of the size of each company now. Thanks.