Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Positive SVL thread
    Ok guys 2010 is in the bag.Can we have a discussion about how we can bring the SVL class back together.Please refrain from any type of negative comments.Name calling, trash talking and take caution to the ball busting as it can sometimes be misinterpreted.Lets hear your positive thoughts.

2. Collapse Details

There is a line in the TAO, that roughly translated states "the greatest athlete does not enter compition for victory, he enters competition because he views it as play, as in a child" HAVE FUN!!

When I was racing desert, my roomate and one of my best friends at the time consitantly came in dead last, but he had the biggest smile of everybody after the race. He enjoyed racing and the comradery of the guys he raced against. would he have enjoyed winning, sure, but he enjoyed simply being on the course more. HAVE FUN.

Your not goingto come close to making more money than you spend racing SVL, at most you will get beer money and a fancy chunk of wood and plastic... So just HAVE FUN.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

3. Collapse Details

If anyone is thinking of entering the class or thoughts of a new boat we can have a SVL Outerlimits ready for next season!! Congrats to Typhoon on a great year and hope to see everyone race together next year!

4. Collapse Details

Phragle,your desert racing career sounds alot like my SVL racing career

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by heater63 View Post
    Phragle,your desert racing career sounds alot like my SVL racing career
    upside down?

6. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Ok guys 2010 is in the bag.Can we have a discussion about how we can bring the SVL class back together.Please refrain from any type of negative comments.Name calling, trash talking and take caution to the ball busting as it can sometimes be misinterpreted.Lets hear your positive thoughts.

How convenient to request this after the Fountain is caught so very deliberately cheating. There is much to discuss and silence fixes nothing.
    Steve

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SVL66 View Post
    upside down?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Miklos View Post
    How convenient to request this after the Fountain is caught so very deliberately cheating. There is much to discuss and silence fixes nothing.
    Steve

Only 5 posts in - and blamo

9. Collapse Details

Not asking for silence Steve,Nor am I taking sides on this one.You,Mike A. George,Bruce ,Mark,Randy,Wil,Jim and more have a wealth of knowledge about how to make it work.I think during the off seasons you will all work it out if we can keep this thread positive

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SVL66 View Post
    upside down?
    Ouch!Brucee,you funny guy!

11. Collapse Details

Originally Posted by Mike A.

From my perspective, 2010 is over and everyone should look toward 2011 right now. There are two real sanctioning bodies. Both groups should adopt the same rules for their common classes. I think the racers should tell anyone trying to put a third sanctioning body together to forget it and work within the existing two groups. The sport does not need another sanctioning body.

If it were me, I would take all of the existing non-P classes and put them in P. Maybe tweek the rules a little to separate twins from singles, but that is it.

Then, I would create one single engine spec V class and one twin cat class that all existing 36'-40' cats could fit in. I would go to Ilmor and get them involved as an engine provider, and then allow the 525's to be modified up to the Ilmor spec. I might even have some rules laying around that could be used as models to make this a little easier. Talk to the racers for input but do not let them vote on anything!!!!!!

You might have something then, but the current mishmash of classes and rules does not work too well IMO. When Bob Teague cannot get the classes straight while giving radio commentary you know, or at least you should know that there is a major problem.

Originally Posted by imco offshore:
    i love the Ilmor sound ,,but i think it would be much easier for ilmor with all their resources to detune to 575 ,,than all the teams to try to build up to 625 ,,plus ,,after 600 you will see a lot of drive issues ,,so then comes ,,let the indy in ,,then let the #6 ..and the exspense goes thru the roof ,,the 525/vortec on an bravo/ IMCO has proved to be very reliable ,,and cost effective,, I like the Ilmor,, but it being a v-10 the torque benefits are much better ,,just like the vortec ,,merc,,,torque parity was 200 rpm
    Ilmor 5200 merc 5400 vortec 5600 (or something like this)

Good points, particularly on the drive issue, but these are details that can be worked out easily. Been there, done that. The key is to create a platform which permits older boats to remain competitive while the class grows. Believe it or not, once the rule makers (not current racers!!!!!!!) get down to business, competitive balance can be maintained and costs can be contained.

At the end of the day Ilmor needs to be a prominent part of the sport going forward IMO. They have a great racing heritage and appear to be dynamic at the moment. Therefore, I would include the Ilmor drive too.

The important thing to remember anytime changes like this are being discussed is to remain calm. It can be done, but as Jimmy said, it may be that the majority of current "racers" really are anything but. Close, exciting competition is not for everyone.

12. Collapse Details

OK so we all agree there is too many classes?

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
    It can be done, but as Jimmy said, it may be that the majority of current "racers" really are anything but. Close, exciting competition is not for everyone.

That's not really what I said but, more simply and less derogatory Some are drawn toward big classes and others are not..That in part is why there are some many classes.

14. Collapse Details

OK so we all agree there is too many classes?
    Guess we should just worry about the SVLs in this thread.My bad!

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    That's not really what I said but, more simply and less derogatory Some are drawn toward big classes and others are not..That in part is why there are some many classes.
    Sorry, here is what you actually said:

"The trophy collectors wont like that," in response to my Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike A.
    If it were me, I would take all of the existing non-P classes and put them in P. Maybe tweek the rules a little to separate twins from singles, but that is it.

16. Collapse Details

Ouch!Brucee,you funny guy!
    Sorry ..couldnt resist.....you know i love ya. (in a non-gay way of course)

17. Collapse Details

So in other words Mike A.Are you saying to limit the speed in the svl class?May not be a bad idea.Or go with lap times?

18. Collapse Details

Competitor
    I think it would be nice if other hull designs could be let in. Built to fit into the class. I know the concern there is some crazy one off class killer, what most of you thought the fountain would be. the fact remains that it still takes a certain amount of water to float a boat that weighs 4700 lbs. and a 525 will only push it so fast. So as long as Aerodynamic add ons like wings etc. are kept out. one should be able to design a new boat, or retrofit a canopy on an old boat to be able to race in the class. The design and assembly of these types that want in could be watched along the build process for all to see so there would be no crazy one off built in secret designs that would be allowed to race. A pad boat would normally be faster than a straight vee, but won't do rough water as well. If there were rules for boats to be built by it would be cool. I would love to get into SVL at some time but don't necessarily want a Phantom, Extreme, or Lavey..... Or Fountain.

19. Collapse Details

I believe that Mike A. has a set of rules that could be used as a base to start with.Correct me if I am wrong but I think he has offered them to the class.

20. Collapse Details

So in other words Mike A.Are you saying to limit the speed in the svl class?May not be a bad idea.Or go with lap times?
    Yes and no. In the LLC rulebook we established max speed parameters to let the racers know that if the boats started going faster than that then we would adjust the rules accordingly. We used to sit in unmarked boats in the spectator fleets with radar guns and it worked pretty well.