Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Smitty, what are the penalties for rules violations?
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

2. Collapse Details

Working on it. I believe we have it all covered. From one minute penalties to a complete DQ. If the Org does it's job, and makes sure there are a fleet of legal boats launched on Sunday morning, it boils down to race coarse infractions.
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

3. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    thanks for your time ,,I know it takes a lot of it.....have a great thanksgiving ,,..

now i need a driver ,,jim has a daughter in college and is going to take some time off,,
    requirements ...female..20/30ish 5'5 / 6'0 ,,,with money,,,willing to wear the new suits
    ( not much ) likes fast and rough,,, and never ,never ,lets go of the steering wheel..
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

4. Collapse Details

You are welcome George. Enjoy the Turkey.
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

5. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    thanks for your time ,,I know it takes a lot of it.....have a great thanksgiving ,,..

now i need a driver ,,jim has a daughter in college and is going to take some time off,,
    requirements ...female..20/30ish 5'5 / 6'0 ,,,with money,,,willing to wear the new suits
    ( not much ) likes fast and rough,,, and never ,never ,lets go of the steering wheel..
    You are killing me lol

Have a great Holiday

6. Collapse Details

Competitor

The "now i need a driver " part peeked my interest, but i can't meet but half those requirements.

7. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
    The "now i need a driver " part peeked my interest, but i can't meet but half those requirements.
    Use some imagination, If you want to drive, just find 2 individuals that fit that profile to mechanic, and crane the boat. I bet George would work with that. Get them to wear some mini aluminum flywheels around there necks, and some of them short shorts I keep hearing about. Score some Serious bonus points wiith George not Doc.

8. Collapse Details

How about Mike A. He has always showed an interest in your Driver

9. Collapse Details

George will you be implementing a weight restriction on that new driver

10. Collapse Details

great idea ,,and i,m in charge of seat belts,,,too,,

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing View Post
    Just so you guys don't think I am asleep at the wheel. I am very close to finishing the OPA SVL rules. Sealing is solved, dyno is solved, ecu's are solved. parity is solved. And I have a class sponsor. I am willing to put forth the energy, tech, and money, to move your class forward. Are you willing to support our efforts. I am a firm believer in the Spec Classes. The SVL class, MUST maintain it's present platform. Sealed un altered 525/Vortec power. Lifting the limiters is out of the question. They are hydraulic roller motors, not designed to run at 6000 rpm. They will not last long. I have the ability to flash/check all ECU's. I have a program for all new SVL's to run with the existing boats. There will be parity. I know some think that is a dirty word, but it is a nessesity. I know this past year we all made mistakes. Including myself. Lets put it in the past, and move forward. I am also holding the line with the Cat lights as well. Lifting the limiters is only the Orgs, not wanting to put in the time to police the classes. OPA has been a bracket class organization. That is where our focus has always been. But if someone doesn't step up a take Spec class by the horns, it will fade away. My vision in OPA was to bring new racers into Bracket style racing, with the hopes of one day moving to the spec classes. Many have. Many love bracket racing, why, because we have taken the time to make the classes fair, and competitive for all. ALL OPA boats this year spec or non spec will be equipped with our GPS tracking device. I will be able to monitor excelleration times as well as top speeds all over the coarse. You would be surprised what we can determine from these results. There is one catch. OPA will put forth all the effort your class deserves. But, there will be a five race minimum requirement if you want any part of prize money, sponsor money TV coverage. Sorry but that is your end of the deal. I think you got the easiest part of this. I have spoken with many of the teams, boat builders, tech people, and prior race series owners, to come up with the rules, that I feel will move the class forward. I give you all a lot of credit for all your efforts this past year, in trying to keep the class together. The racers cannot run the class. It's my turn. At the end of the year you will either love it or hate it, but 2011, is going to be my way. I know you have options on where to race, that is a good thing. Race where ever you want. Just want you to know what we are going to offer. Smitty
    Good Job Smitty,

So good that I won't pick on spelling errors, like excelleration

12. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    Good Job Smitty,

So good that I won't pick on spelling errors, like excelleration
    I have to take the blame on that one...Smitty called me and asked how to spell it...
    2009 Activator/ Powered by ILMOR
    #540 Boat Responsibly Racing
    Presented by your U.S. Coast Guard

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MANITIE View Post
    I have to take the blame on that one...Smitty called me and asked how to spell it...
    Too funny.......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

14. Collapse Details

ACCELERATION?????....I love that word,you guys rock...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX8f1...eature=related

15. Collapse Details

all right then ,,lets start useing this ,,and move foward,, no digs no jabs ,just good sound foward thinking ideas,,

16. Collapse Details

If anyone out there is wanting into the Svl class now is the time to get in!! Next season will be here soon, and I'm betting that there are going to be some strong teams out there with some of the tightest racing in offshore, there are some great boats that are available, i will help anyone interested any way that I can, and I know the rest of our group will to.

17. Collapse Details

Competitor
    SBI is also interested in helping make it work. I have spoke to a few team owners and Richie . We are going to put a conferance class together soon we would like a few of the SVL owner to be part of it. I have spoke to Steve M and he is on board and likes some of the idea we are looking and if anyone else is interested and feels they would like to share some thought with us please feel free to contact me. Like i have said in earlier posts we need to try to keep it as simple,fair, and as inexpensive as posible. The key is to make it afordable for everyone so the class can grow. What has been in the past didnt work so it is time to turn a new page and look toward the futhure. We are looking at all aspects of the cost facts and an even playing field .

18. Collapse Details

An even playing field with very solid rules and diligent tech inspections to keep it fair is what we all want. My team will help anyway that we can and would like to be a part of the positive change for our class that we all want. Please include us in any way you feel we can help.

19. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRacing View Post
    SBI is also interested in helping make it work. I have spoke to a few team owners and Richie . We are going to put a conferance class together soon we would like a few of the SVL owner to be part of it. I have spoke to Steve M and he is on board and likes some of the idea we are looking and if anyone else is interested and feels they would like to share some thought with us please feel free to contact me. Like i have said in earlier posts we need to try to keep it as simple,fair, and as inexpensive as posible. The key is to make it afordable for everyone so the class can grow. What has been in the past didnt work so it is time to turn a new page and look toward the futhure. We are looking at all aspects of the cost facts and an even playing field .
    From the thread we are letting die, discussing gray areas....

Sorry

Wish they were. And I think the racers should have input before the rules are set in stone.

The bigger gray issues are ballast tanks, gear ratios, prop diameters, correcting bottom issues vs modifying the bottom, rpm, modified ecms, aerodynamic tendencies of the hull design, no changes to the design of the drive vs adding a nose cone which must be approved by the org 30 days prior to competition, etc. Many of these things are unpoliceable. Like bottom modifications. How do you make sure a boat still fits the mold of a homologized hull? That is the only requirement in one org, and in another there are no requirements governing hull modifications.

Most of the issues are because of differences in rules between the orgs. Like running the 1.69 gear in SBI vs not allowed in the other two. But, then one team, ran the 1.69 in one of the other orgs, with the bigger prop, because it was legal elsewhere. Same with bottom modifications vs bottom changes and reprogramming ecm's.

I'd like to see no ballast tanks, 1.50 max gear ratio, 15.75 diameter prop max, no hull water pickups allowed, a maximum rpm measured with a data acquisition unit, etc.

If the drive issue and prop diameter are not addressed, one of these days we will see a surface piercing Bravo type drive because of a new hull and prop design. I'd guess a 3 to 5 mph advantage with the right combination.

Another issue is with the ecm's being allowed to be modified, a high dollar team can eliminate all others as we've seen, by reprogramming the late model merc to run at around 6000+ rpm where the earlier merc's will not, but it will probably only last around 30 hours based on testing, but will make an additional 40hp. But, if you have the money, who cares. You can still go collect trophies. That is why a maximum rpm should be addressed.

Anyway, I hope some of these things are addressed. The small improvements to a hull you can do in your garage means nothing compared to having unlimited funds to reprogram ecm's and rebuild engines with a short life span.

And, as we've certainly found out, the tech rules need to be simple enough that the boats get teched who place in the top three at every race. If they are too complex, you have those who know they won't get teched only getting caught cheating by accident when making a tactical error.

I firmly believe a sealed engine program only makes it easy for the serious cheaters to avoid detection because they know they will not get teched if they have duplicated the seals. And, as we know in today's world, duplicating the seals with rapid prototype technology is only a couple days work if you have the funds available to you.

That is why I think Whistler compression units and P&G cubic inch measurement units should be used vs sealed engines. That, combined with the maximum rpm measured while racing, weight minimum, width min/max, height minx, prop diameter max, water pickup in drive, and possibly drive height will make it so that it will almost be impossible to cheat.

No ballast tanks is also to eliminate cronic cheaters. In P1 they have no water pickups allowed other than engine cooling, and it must be external to the engine on entry and exit.

I would also always leave the clause of some kind about parity. My best thought is it should be RPM's so that other boat builders and engine builders can participate.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

20. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Thanks for your in put they are all good points to be looked at. Like everything else in life some I agree with and some I dont. The rules will be made and from that point on it is up to the racers, it is going to be impossible to make everyone happy,and we know that already all we can do it try and make it as fair as posible. No one is going to get rich boat racing so our goal is to try and make it as even a playing field as posible so everyone can go out on any given day and have chance to win. This isnt that hard guys we are all smarter then this and i know we can make it work if we try just a little .

We have looked at the prop issue, and drive fight. We also agree with you that sealing the engines is a waiste of the racers money and not the way to go. There was someone in KW selling brand new Merc seals I spoke to him myself. That has been going on for yrs it isnt something new.