Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

all this engine tampering talk can be solved in one sentence..

if your caught cheating, your banned for life, period, no negotiation(s)

if each organization follows that plan, we wouldn't have umpteen pages of disagreements after EVERY race

just a suggestion..
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    all this engine tampering talk can be solved in one sentence..

if your caught cheating, your banned for life, period, no negotiation(s)

if each organization follows that plan, we wouldn't have umpteen pages of disagreements after EVERY race

just a suggestion..
    Good point!
    Steve

3. Collapse Details

At a minimum, instant disqualification for the race at hand and make the infractions public knowledge thru a formal announcement that is legitimate and factual to control hearsay and rumor.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckdoctor View Post
    Steve I agree, your idea on data recording and then making the data public knowledge for all to see would stop any infractions with higher rpms, and would make top speeds and I assume acceleration public knowledge.

I guess my point I'm trying to make is that right now, nobody truly knows what is in any of the motors that are currently racing, or how much power they are truly producing,

My opinion is that we dyno all exhisting and future motors coming into the class and make that information public as well, I feel the powerplant that we use along with the hull are the foundations we all start with.
    If these are common then we move on to step two, but without verifying what power we all truly have then the rest is all for nothing.

I'm pretty sure that a motor producing 650 hp will out perform and out
    accelerate a motor producing 550 hp. While turning the exact same rpms.
    If you can spin a larger wheel and be on the rev limiter you are going to go faster, it's pretty simple.

The fact is having a sealed motor right now means absolutly nothing to me. Seals can be purchased, manipulated, etc. So my solution is to verify all motors currently racing, by an independent source, mark them, seal them, and then we all start at zero with power, until a torque meter or some other device comes along that by your admission, probably isn't going to be provided, then the only solution is to dyno the motors to assure parity among all the boats as power.

Once that is done, then we work on maintaining how the power is applied at the prop, thru data loggers, gps that can track acceleration, etc.

As to ecms, I'm sorry, it is too easy to manipulate an ECM currently, and unfortunatly, as nice as someone seems, and how much you may respect them,and feel they can be trusted, infractions will happen if we are all allowed to choose what ECM we use without being closely monitored.

We are a great group of people, but without rules and enforcement I see no way that we can all race on a level playing field.
    It is both time consuming and expensive to police our small class for the organizations, the simpler we can make that process for them, the better off we all are.
    I am for dyno, sealing and then further policing the engines with data aqusition. You can easily have a motor sealed with one ECM cal and run another afterwards. If we all went MEFI-4 ECM (it can and is done all the time on 525's) you can log the entire ECM map 40 times persecond under $2000.00.

The ECM then can also be "flashed" race morning by the inspectors. With as many GPS's that OPA and SBI look at it is clear that both org's have the skills.

Steve

5. Collapse Details

Steve I totally agree. Whichever way we or the organizations go with ECM rules I think we as racers owe it to the organizations to make class management as easy and painless as possible with very specific and clear rules, then give them total control and the ability to enforce the rules set in place, with very specific harsh penalties if these rules are broken.

As a governing body these rules need to be enforced to insure that everyone realizes that if you are found to be illegal, a simple slap on the wrist is not what is coming, rather very swift and harsh penalties and sometimes worse,
    Public knowledge of your infractions. I think having your peers informed of any indiscretions is sometimes worse than simple penalties.

6. Collapse Details

forgive me for sounding uneducated here but exactly what imformation does the data logger give you

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by heater63 View Post
    forgive me for sounding uneducated here but exactly what imformation does the data logger give you
    In base form you will get: RPM MPH (gps based) volts G force location in lat/Lon all 40 times per second.

This data will allow you to also have acceleration (time or distance) predictive lap times prop slip

Additional modules are endless: ECM parameters temp senders air pressure drive tab locations etc.

Steve

http://www.racepak.com/Road_Racing/IQ3.php

8. Collapse Details

Sounds pretty impressive,How much of a project is it to install? Is this what you are using Steve? How much of this information do you really use?

9. Collapse Details

RacePak is a contingency sponsor for a variety of racing organizations. Maybe someone should approach them to sponsor SVL class with a reduced price for the units.
    I'd rather be on the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with my boat on the rocks.

10. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Sounds pretty impressive,How much of a project is it to install? Is this what you are using Steve? How much of this information do you really use?
    I can tellyou he uses every inch of it ,,,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

11. Collapse Details

so it sounds like it would be a worthwhile investment?

12. Collapse Details

Doug so would another svl......Oh yea CONGRATULATIONS on your OPA Class 5 World Championship.

13. Collapse Details

Thanks for the congrats Eddie,we miss you at the races! I still have SVL in my blood,just want to see what happens before I go spend a ton of money on a new boat.I really think it can come back around if we can keep the peace.Take care buddy!

14. Collapse Details

I know you do, and that only makes sense, hope to make a come back myself next season. See you then.

15. Collapse Details

We use it all the time and have a large archive of race data. The installation is very simple for the basic functions you need 12 Volts DC a tachometer line and a place to mount a small GPS antennae. If you are ever in the Tampa area I will take you for a ride and then show you the data from the ride.

If anyone is attending PRI in Orlando they display there. We are going I most probably on Thursday. We have Racepak but if it were decided another system was the standard we would have no problem changing.

Thanks
    Steve

16. Collapse Details

So is it compatible with Mercurys smart craft system

17. Collapse Details

So is it compatible with Mercurys smart craft system
    Unfortunately, it is not. It can do everything except ECM's features on any boat car etc.. The fact that there is now a Smartcraft to NEMA 2000 gateway is encouraging that almost anything will work soon.
    Steve

18. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Steve taking a bath ..good shot ...do you remember it ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010windowwashkw.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	67625

lucky you did not have a merc ,it would have went stright into guardian ,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    Steve taking a bath ..good shot ...do you remember it ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010windowwashkw.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	67625

lucky you did not have a merc ,it would have went stright into guardian ,

Must have been Saturday thats when we shower!
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Miklos; 11-18-2010 at 04:15 PM.

20. Collapse Details

Just so you guys don't think I am asleep at the wheel. I am very close to finishing the OPA SVL rules. Sealing is solved, dyno is solved, ecu's are solved. parity is solved. And I have a class sponsor. I am willing to put forth the energy, tech, and money, to move your class forward. Are you willing to support our efforts. I am a firm believer in the Spec Classes. The SVL class, MUST maintain it's present platform. Sealed un altered 525/Vortec power. Lifting the limiters is out of the question. They are hydraulic roller motors, not designed to run at 6000 rpm. They will not last long. I have the ability to flash/check all ECU's. I have a program for all new SVL's to run with the existing boats. There will be parity. I know some think that is a dirty word, but it is a nessesity. I know this past year we all made mistakes. Including myself. Lets put it in the past, and move forward. I am also holding the line with the Cat lights as well. Lifting the limiters is only the Orgs, not wanting to put in the time to police the classes. OPA has been a bracket class organization. That is where our focus has always been. But if someone doesn't step up a take Spec class by the horns, it will fade away. My vision in OPA was to bring new racers into Bracket style racing, with the hopes of one day moving to the spec classes. Many have. Many love bracket racing, why, because we have taken the time to make the classes fair, and competitive for all. ALL OPA boats this year spec or non spec will be equipped with our GPS tracking device. I will be able to monitor excelleration times as well as top speeds all over the coarse. You would be surprised what we can determine from these results. There is one catch. OPA will put forth all the effort your class deserves. But, there will be a five race minimum requirement if you want any part of prize money, sponsor money TV coverage. Sorry but that is your end of the deal. I think you got the easiest part of this. I have spoken with many of the teams, boat builders, tech people, and prior race series owners, to come up with the rules, that I feel will move the class forward. I give you all a lot of credit for all your efforts this past year, in trying to keep the class together. The racers cannot run the class. It's my turn. At the end of the year you will either love it or hate it, but 2011, is going to be my way. I know you have options on where to race, that is a good thing. Race where ever you want. Just want you to know what we are going to offer. Smitty
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing