1. Collapse Details
    Question for T2x - Shadow VS Conquest
    Question
    OK, simple question. The Conquest Cats, the Jesse James 35 in particular, has a more "aggressive" entry from the running surface - meaning, it looks more aggressive and/or sleeker in entry design as it starts its upward angle from further back. The Shadow/Chris Cat is more "blunt" and seems to have a longer running surface. This longer running surface is what I thought made the Shadow/Chis better in rough water. But then, the Conquest was a later design that was supposedly the best of experience.

Can you please explain the differences and if the conquest design was and wasn't better? Of course, we need to consider running lengths as on is 35 and the other is 30....and if I am not mistaken, the Jesse James 50 had more of a "blunt" entry.

2. Collapse Details

That's a great question, I am sure Rich will give us the details. I think the 48 foot was designed with a front end that would pop back up out the water in case of a stuff accident.

3. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The Conquests were a single step sponson design and the Shadows were a twin step design. The Conquests had less frontal area and stronger construction and the benefit of infinite design changes between hulls. As a result, given the power we had back then and the speed ranges we ran in, the Conquests were faster.

The forward entry on the early Conquests, like the early Skaters was designed for higher speeds in normal racing conditions. The Shadows and the later Conquests (Captain America, big JJ) had very similar forward entry as we went back to the earlier design to prevent stuffing accidents in extreme seas. We also added a "shovel nose" to the forward sponson/deck area to widen the bow(s) even more. If you look at Peter's designs he went through the same evolutionary changes over time with the result that the current 32 and 30 foot skaters (standard decks) have very similar overall dimensions to the Shadow 30's. (Although his styling, spray control and construction is much more up to date.......and he eschews pads on the sponson bottoms).

P.S. How do you come up with the screen name "McCaffertee", when your name is Steve Wilson? I get confused........

T2x
    Last edited by T2x; 11-15-2010 at 10:05 AM.
    Allergic to Nonsense