Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    OPA Offshore Racing on TV this SUNDAY!
    Charter Member / Competitor Ron P's Avatar
    VERSUS TO BROADCAST WORLD-CLASS OFFSHORE RACING SERIES
    PRESENTED BY GEICO—A TAMPA DIGITAL PRODUCTION
    Offshore Powerboat Association [OPA] Offshore Racing Series
    airs during November and December 2010 on sports cable network

TAMPA, FL—November 11, 2010—Tampa Digital, a visual communications company, today announced that its production of the 2010 OPA Offshore Racing Series will be broadcast on consecutive Sundays during November 2010 and December 2010 on VERSUS. The racing series presented by GEICO will air at 4PM ET, November 14, and continue to run through December 19, 2010, on the sports cable network.

The 2010 OPA Offshore Racing Series broadcast schedule on VERSUS is as follows:
    • 4PM ET, November 14: Ocean City, MD
    • 4PM ET, November 21: Sunny Isles Beach, FL
    • 4PM ET, November 28: St. Clair, MI
    • 4PM ET, December 5: Atlantic City, NJ
    • 4PM ET, December 12: Solomon Islands, MD [National Championships]
    • 4PM ET, December 19: Orange Beach, AL [World Championships]

Tampa Digital shot the entire racing series in high definition and focused production efforts on the racing action, powerboat technology, high-end equipment, charismatic and colorful personalities of the racers, and clandestine drama associated with elite offshore competitions. Jim Kopcik of Tampa Digital served as broadcast producer for the OPA Offshore Racing Series.

“We are privileged by the strong distinction of producing a national broadcast showcasing probably one of the largest, most dangerous, and most powerful racing machines of all time,” Kopcik said.

Tampa Digital, Offshore Racing Series organizers such as OPA, and powerboat racers are highly grateful to John Haggin, team owner of the World Champion AMF/Miss GEICO Racing Team. Haggin, AMF and GEICO have worked tirelessly to help secure the future of the Offshore Racing Series by bringing the sport to national television.

Each Offshore Racing Series episode produced by Tampa Digital will ideally center around the on and off water contests as the world’s top powerboat racers battle for the coveted title of World Champion. The first episode will feature a complete overview of the sport and allow viewers to experience the first race from Ocean City, MD. The final episode culminates with the World Championships from Orange Beach, AL.

“We are excited about having continued providing VERSUS with an offshore racing television package that delivers an unrivaled television and bystander experience,” said Mike McKown, vice president, broadcast management.

For more information about the OPA Offshore Racing Series, please visit online: oparacingtour.com and amfoffshoreracing.com.

2. Collapse Details

Now we're gonna see some Movie Stars!
    .......Augie Pensa.......

The Godfather

3. Collapse Details

ttt

4. Collapse Details
    Thumbs up
    Very well done. If you enjoyed the show, e-mail Versus and tell them so. I plan to.

feedback@versus.com
    I'd rather be on the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with my boat on the rocks.

5. Collapse Details

It was AWESOME to see on TV!!!!!
    GREAT job all around!

6. Collapse Details

It was nice seeing on TV...but would it kill them to announce what models of boats were racing and what power each had? Also...how fast were they going? And what defines each Class? I know most of these things, but to the average, everyday viewer happening across this on TV...these are questions I would most likely have... Otherwise, I liked it. I liked it a lot.

7. Collapse Details

Liked it very much, made me want to have spring/summer back!!!!!!!

8. Collapse Details

Thanks, that's good input for next year. This season's shows are complete, other than Orange Beach.

I hear the next show from Sunny Isles Beach is even better!!!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom1 View Post
    Very well done. If you enjoyed the show, e-mail Versus and tell them so. I plan to.

feedback@versus.com
    This is a good idea and if enough people do it--we can show them how many fans are in TV land!!!!!!

10. Collapse Details

Ron,

When you all promised TV, I have to admit, based on a lifetime of involvement in the sport, and half a lifetime in a race boat, I was skeptical. I can not tell you how many times TV was "in the bag", "in the can", "ready to go" and we got no TV.

Well you all promised TV and DELVIERED TV!

I watched the first show, and I generally liked what I saw. The shots, shot composition, framing, post editing, and 'story line' looked and felt like some of the drag race stuff. It was good.

Frank Fasulo

11. Collapse Details

Thanks Frank. It's nice to make a promise and then actually deliver. But don't thank me or OPA. This home run belongs to Haggin/AMF/Geico. They made it happen for us.

Bravo Haggin!

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
    Thanks Frank. It's nice to make a promise and then actually deliver. But don't thank me or OPA. This home run belongs to Haggin/AMF/Geico. They made it happen for us.

Bravo Haggin!
    Yep!

Thats why I said "you all". Mr. Haggin is a true team player, and I know what he has done for OPA, and many of the teams.

13. Collapse Details

Since Haggin is leaving, I guess this tv coverage of OPA is a 1 time shot this year?

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Donskihp View Post
    Since Haggin is leaving, I guess this tv coverage of OPA is a 1 time shot this year?
    Not true... The TV deal is already in the works for 2011.

Haggin is going to spend more time with his first love - race horses.

Geico remains a sponsor of the Team AMF, Haggin just won't be at the helm anymore. Scotty B, Scott Colton and Big Gary will be calling the shots.

Basically, things remain the same for Miss Geico, they'll just have smaller parties.

15. Collapse Details

Thank you Mr Haggin for making this to happen! Thank you to OPA committee!

Chris

16. Collapse Details

Thanks Ron, thats really good news! I cought the first showing last sunday, and look forward to the rest of the eposides. Don

17. Collapse Details

Don't miss the race from Sunny Isles Beach, FL this Sunday.

18. Collapse Details

Racing from St Clair today.

19. Collapse Details

This week is the race that didn't happen in Atlantic City NJ. It should be a recap show featuring more of the bracket class boats.

Hopefully they got a camera in a chopper for a few minutes to film the ocean. It was WILD.

20. Collapse Details

Still worth watching even though it was more of recap episode! Looked rough from the heli shots. Still just a little comical that "offshore" boats didn't race because of the ocean conditions!!!! Logic does have me going that it wouldn't have been safe though................