Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    BLACK THUNDER UP GRADES
    Mine is a 2001 46EC with 500 EFIs and XRs. How much can the XRs handle vrs the B-MAX.

2. Collapse Details

Bmax is definately a much stronger drive. My dad and I knew Dean and got to peak around the bmax when Dean was building them. It has always been a good design (fix for the bravo blues), but I'm glad to see the design being excuted properly by John P.
    Last edited by Coolerman; 10-30-2010 at 09:46 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BDARCHER View Post
    Mine is a 2001 46EC with 500 EFIs and XRs. How much can the XRs handle vrs the B-MAX.
    The XR drive is good drive but the BT even with stock power is just to heavy of a boat for the XR to hold up.

4. Collapse Details

The new 4 blade props never slip. Maybe a little slip might help them live a little longer. The B-Max uses the XR lower doesnt it. The XRs have been ok, but it sucks waiting on them to blow. Its just a matter of time on a big boat.

5. Collapse Details

Just the gear set [for now] all the rest of it is The Bravo Shop.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    Just the gear set [for now] all the rest of it is The Bravo Shop.
    Let me help you here John....

Bobby, The gear set in the upper is considerably larger, john would have to provide exact specs, and the vertical shaft is also larger. Now I do know that John is working on a new lower that will be stronger.

7. Collapse Details

Here is a Pic of the difference between the two pinion gears.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bmax pinion to Merc Pinion 001.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	67052
    Last edited by John P; 11-01-2010 at 01:30 PM.

8. Collapse Details

Why hasnt anyone went with the bravo arneson upgrade kit?????? Going with it this winter. I know the gear size has something to do with it but i think the oil temp has alot to do with it to. Our boats are so much heavier then everyone elses. It doesnt have to say Mercury on it for it to work............. Rik probably will agree

9. Collapse Details

Thats a much larger gear. How much HP can a BMAX handle. and is it a bolt on swap with the XR. Now are the BMAXs in production and what do they cost. New, used or rebuilt.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CSCinc View Post
    Why hasnt anyone went with the bravo arneson upgrade kit?????? Going with it this winter. I know the gear size has something to do with it but i think the oil temp has alot to do with it to. Our boats are so much heavier then everyone elses. It doesnt have to say Mercury on it for it to work............. Rik probably will agree
    I slipped off the BTs swim deck and went swimming, not to the hospital I think Ill stick with the Merc myself. What are you gona do with the XRs.

11. Collapse Details

Arneson has prop gaurds to....

12. Collapse Details

Will be selling two complete xr's with hp gimbals and one complete xr without gimbal. All will be disassembled, checked if any repairs are needed and reassembled with new seals and pressure tested. Will put some pics up and open to reasonable offers.

13. Collapse Details

Thats a much larger gear. How much HP can a BMAX handle. and is it a bolt on swap with the XR. Now are the BMAXs in production and what do they cost. New, used or rebuilt.
    850 Hp and is a direct swap, yes they are in production and will be out in Dec, all the parts are avilable now. Becareful of used Bmax's because there hasn't been any parts for some time available in the market place so most have used old parts in them. Also becareful of rebuilt ones, if you don't know who rebuilt it and with what parts also. Call me for the pricing of new units.

14. Collapse Details

A option. Did BT ever offer a option for the tall dated Plexiglas windshield. Like the low fiberglass pieces with the flip up wind visors. It would really change the look of the boat.

15. Collapse Details

I slipped off the BTs swim deck and went swimming, not to the hospital I think Ill stick with the Merc myself. What are you gona do with the XRs.
    This is one of the most ignorant things I've heard. I hope you are aware that the propellers on the Merc drives are just as exposed they are on the Arnesons. Granted, no matter what drive is on the boat I do not want to fall on it and yes we have a propeller guard for the Arnesons just for the reason of these fearful comments.

16. Collapse Details

I have to agree that was one of the things that stoped me from going with the arneson drive on my BT we use the rear of our boat for getting in and out of the boat when we are coved out and it just makes it to hazardous with the props sticking out there. I understand they make a guard for the top of the prop but when you are in the water getting in the boat you are exposed to the bottom of the prop. Also I can't tell you how many people have slipped off the back swim deck of the BT it is at just enough angle it will take your feet out from under you and you will be in the lake that quick.

Here is a pic of what you are talking with the arneson sticking out behind the boat. We also have trips on ours so it would be even worse. The Bravo drive is 28 inch's off the back of the boat and if my memory serves me correct Rik told me his drive is 52 inch's off the back of the boat.

Name:	arneson drive.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	67087
    Last edited by John P; 11-03-2010 at 08:50 AM.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    I have to agree that was one of the things that stoped me from going with the arneson drive on my BT we use the rear of our boat for getting in and out of the boat when we are coved out and it just makes it to hazardous with the props sticking out there. I understand they make a guard for the top of the prop but when you are in the water getting in the boat you are exposed to the bottom of the prop. Also I can't tell you how many people have slipped off the back swim deck of the BT it is at just enough angle it will take your feet out from under you and you will be in the lake that quick.

Here is a pic of what you are talking with the arneson sticking out behind the boat. We also have trips on ours so it would be even worse. The Bravo drive is 28 inch's off the back of the boat and if my memory serves me correct Rik told me his drive is 52 inch's off the back of the boat.

Name:	arneson drive.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	67087

The Bravo's are closer to 34-36" without a box and on a box are within 4" the length of the Arneson Kits.

The bottom of all propellers are exposed so once again I do not see how the drive being made by Merc will make the pain feel any better and the photo you posted was before I made the guards...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hustlerr.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

I went and measured mine before I posted so unless 28 on the tape means something else please fill me in on the change.

Lets see swim up between to 2 props that are maybe 20" apart and a then over the tie bar and up the ladder oh there is no ladder on that boat.

Don't get me wrong I think the Arneson is a great drive but I don't think its place is on the family boat. We use the back of our boat way to much to have Arneson's on it and the grand kids playing around them would make me nervous for sure. If I had go fast boat they would be at the top of my list.

19. Collapse Details

I just like the rooster tails. Damn it, time to go jet boat hunting again

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by endeavor1 View Post
    I just like the rooster tails. Damn it, time to go jet boat hunting again
    rooster tails are just wasted energy..... poser.