Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I can tell you this is one of the best idea's I've heard in a long time. If it were to get on it's feet and knew it were going to last more people (myself included) would want to "invest" in a race boat. I can't afford to have the rules changed every few years but if it were a spec class and my boat would be competitive for a decade that would be a different story.

Well said mark...
    Still searching for the ultimate old school project....

2. Collapse Details

The whole idea of this really has me thinking.
    Some of my favorite racing was the F-1, and F-2 two classes.
    AND, that got attention.
    You could see that stuff televised - which is something this sport needs.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    No reason you can't have both racing and a show. IMHO I don't think either can survive without the other. There is already a show- add in some spec racing to improve on that.

You have to commend the "big boys" for all that they do; not ostracize them for being able to do it. The guy going in this spec class can't do what the big boys do- money or time wise. Most in this class can't travel across the country doing charity, going to hospitals to see sick kids, setting records from city to city, etc. Joe Six-pack (or plumber) wants to see the flashy big boys- and so do I.

I love "racing"- deck to deck, same setup where skill, testing and training determine the winner.

I love the "show"- big top tents, 20 vehicles rolling in like the circus coming to town, flashily trucks/boats/cars/chicks, shirts/hats/posters for sale/freebies, fan involvement and the like.

Adding this class will be awesome and I can't want to see it happen. The ones that want this the most already attend the races; you have to get the non-boaters involved and interested which is what the big boys bring.

Sponsors want ROI. Get more people there, then more people see their product which gets more coverage which gets even more people involved and on down the line. Then comes TV and sponsorships which leads the racers in to being able to race full time. Now they are professional racers and have the time and money to make record runs, see sick kids, do charity, do poster signings which gets more coverage. Make it happen and it can evolve in to a self supporting sport.

I can tell you this is one of the best idea's I've heard in a long time. If it were to get on it's feet and knew it were going to last more people (myself included) would want to "invest" in a race boat. I can't afford to have the rules changed every few years but if it were a spec class and my boat would be competitive for a decade that would be a different story.
    It was not my intention to bash the big boys, I appreciate what they bring
    to an event as much as anybody, because I am a fan of the sport.

My personal opinion is however, if I had a budget like some of the big guys
    have, I probably would race in Gino's series. To me the racing is the
    key. I probalbly would have all the goodies (trucks, golfcarts, scooters, etc..)
    but I would be more interested in competitive racing with 15 boats in my class
    going 70 mph than 3 boats going 160. Just my preference, mind you.
    Rich Smith
    Smith Brothers Offshore Racing Team
    Cotnertrailers.com 611

4. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post

This will be no differant then a lot of motorsports out there today....
    Spec sealed crate engines....inspected and dyno..there are alot of engine manufactures out there today doing this in road racing and are backing these Series....we will do the same only on water....I have had a number of meetings with munufatures and engine builders that are very involved in this today in road racing, and for the bussiness we will be giving them and the way the economy is today....this is great publisity and work for them....I'm really concentrating on the final engine sponsor because they will be the foundation of the Series...they will get the most work and most visability from the Series....and I want it to be a long term relationship.

The rules will not change because the engine package will stay the same...
    Every team will have the same amount of money invested in there race boat....there will be nothing you can purchase to go faster....other then your skill level and ability to drive and throttle....

5. Collapse Details

Sorry sbracing if it sounded like I was calling you out- not my intention at all.

If I had the loot of the big boys I'd be running both..

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MANITIE View Post
    After the 1st year I may lease my boat out
    Looks like I'm 1st on the waiting list..

So is this like the bat boat thing- run the snot out of it and you fix it when I break it? LOL! Them just jokes...

7. Collapse Details

This will be no differant then a lot of motorsports out there today....
    Spec sealed crate engines....inspected and dyno..there are alot of engine manufactures out there today doing this in road racing and are backing these Series....we will do the same only on water....I have had a number of meetings with munufatures and engine builders that are very involved in this today in road racing, and for the bussiness we will be giving them and the way the economy is today....this is great publisity and work for them....I'm really concentrating on the final engine sponsor because they will be the foundation of the Series...they will get the most work and most visability from the Series....and I want it to be a long term relationship.
    when mercury does this they get hung out as the big bad guy pushing out the other builders, I wonder if you will feel the wrath of the "but i can build my own cheaper" crowd.

I like spec racing, may the fastest and best team win. period.

so with some quick math, I am guessing you are hoping to have 5 or 6 boats for the start of the 2010 season? (2 months per hull?)

8. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=Sean H;44946]when mercury does this they get hung out as the big bad guy pushing out the other builders, I wonder if you will feel the wrath of the "but i can build my own cheaper" crowd.

I like spec racing, may the fastest and best team win. period.

Hi Sean....

Here's is what I'm working on and working with on the engine package...
    Mercury Racing has a great product and nothing against them....
    But for what I need and what I'm looking for in return will not work with Mercury Racing....
    1. I will only need around 424 to 450HP....cost will be a lot cheaper then a 525.
    2. The engine Manufactures that I'm looking for and working deals on are ones that will be putting up a good portion of the first 5 engines so the cost of the first 5 teams are very low and will be rewarded for the early investent. (aprox. 6k - 8k+ less then the normal package).
    3. Granted some racers may say I can do it cheaper....but it wont be much cheaper + the reputation of the engine builder I will get will be very well known for there work. (already have talk to 3 canidates).
    4. The cost of engine work will be posted up front so any interested owners will know all expenses up front before joining the Series.
    5. This is a spec class with exactly the same everything...hull, engine, prop, drive, ects. I only want teams that are interested in this type of racing...not who or what can do it cheaper.
    6. One of the main reason of starting this Series is to keep cost down to the racers....and have a number of contingency programs with the differant equipment we are running that gose back to the racers....the other main reason is deck to deck racing with a class that dose not benifit a big wallet team over a low budget race team.

9. Collapse Details

Hi Sean....

Here's is what I'm working on and working with on the engine package...
    Mercury Racing has a great product and nothing against them....
    But for what I need and what I'm looking for in return will not work with Mercury Racing....
    1. I will only need around 424 to 450HP....cost will be a lot cheaper then a 525.
    2. The engine Manufactures that I'm looking for and working deals on are ones that will be putting up a good portion of the first 5 engines so the cost of the first 5 teams are very low and will be rewarded for the early investent. (aprox. 6k - 8k+ less then the normal package).
    3. Granted some racers may say I can do it cheaper....but it wont be much cheaper + the reputation of the engine builder I will get will be very well know for there work. (already have talk to 3 canidates).
    4. The cost of engine work will be posted up front so any interested owners will know all expenses up front before joining the Series.
    5. This is a spec class with exactly the same everything...hull, engine, prop, drive, ects. I only want teams that are interested in this type of racing...not who or what can do it cheaper.
    6. One of the main reason of starting this Series is to keep cost down to the racers....and have a number of contingency programs with the differant equipment we are running that gose back to the racers....the other main reason is deck to deck racing with a class that dose not benifit a big wallet team over a low budget race team.

oh I agree with ya, I was just saying I have read too many times that a one source supplier is bad for racing. I don't think it is. I wasn't implying that you should have gone merc either... as long as you got somebody to support the series that is great.

10. Collapse Details

so with some quick math, I am guessing you are hoping to have 5 or 6 boats for the start of the 2010 season? (2 months per hull?)[/QUOTE]

The first hull is already done....my thinking is and hope is as soon as I pull the trigger on the first hull that Brian will be set up to do the next one...
    I will run my boat in OPA class 6 till we have 4 or 5 boats and any of the following owners that do the same I will still pay the contingency money till we get the 4 or 5 boats...my hope would be to even do a couple little exibitions with even 3 boats so people can get an idea of the Series.
    Depending on how well it is taking off...if 2 other owners purchase boats I will purchase the 4 boat to keep the building going....and put it up for sale...If I have to, I will lease the 4th boat for a couple of races to get as many boats out there as we can to put on a show....if all gose as planned and I have 3 or 4 other commited owners...we could have 4 to 5 teams by Sept or Oct. of 09.
    My goal is for the second team owner after contingency paid out by Oct to only have aprox. 34k - 37k in his race boat. There will not be to may boaters that can go out and buy a 26 foot performance boat with the equipment in for that type of money....

The second option I just started to look into but I'm not saying I am sold on it yet is having a leasing program on the engine. I may look at it after the first 4 or 5 boats are sold....

If we had 8 to 9 boats by the start of the 2010 season in May I woud think it would be diffinatly on the right track....

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    oh I agree with ya, I was just saying I have read too many times that a one source supplier is bad for racing. I don't think it is. I wasn't implying that you should have gone merc either... as long as you got somebody to support the series that is great.
    Yes I agree with you and I have heard the same....but I really heard it in the bigger class's, in F1 none of us said we need multible engine builders and packages.....we were all fine with the Merc HP500....it was Merc that had the 500 carb...then threw in the 500 EFI...then the 525...and said we are doing away with the HP500....it keeps putting the racers into a position to spend more money and there equipment was becoming obsolete....that to me was not a good thing and hurt Factory racing....here I'm saying...the engine package will be the engine package....no trying to upgrade to get the racers to buy newer equipment every 3 years....

12. Collapse Details

This should be a great program for offshore racing. Taking a tried-and-true formula that worked in the past, fine tune it for present day economics,This could easily become a true "Race of Champions" series for the future of Offshore. Affordable yet competitive. Best of luck to all the teams getting in on the Ground floor !!!
    Abbysomeone

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
    This should be a great program for offshore racing. Taking a tried-and-true formula that worked in the past, fine tune it for present day economics,This could easily become a true "Race of Champions" series for the future of Offshore. Affordable yet competitive. Best of luck to all the teams getting in on the Ground floor !!!

Hey Gordo..it was great to see ya in Key West......this would be a great class for you and the wife to kick some butt in.....

14. Collapse Details

Gino,

Will these be closed cooling systems or open?

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
    Gino,

Will these be closed cooling systems or open?
    '

On the original package it was going to be closed....with the new builders that have shown interest, I am letting them summit to me what they feel is the best overall packages they can supplie....I feel confident with the number of builders I have talk to and there work is more then proven...I have open my choises on other manufactures blocks. I want a manufactures backing..but at the same time I want a manufacture that has a proven product and reliability....We all can find someone to build a engine cheap....but I need to find both worlds...inexpensive but very reliabile and has the expertice to be able to put this package together on a Series level...

On the hole Series project...I have spent the most time on options of engines,sponsorships and programs....I have a good feeling with the hull pick of Joker Powerboats....I want the same good feeling on the engine package and builder and make sure it will work on the budget we need to be on....

Any input from you is more then welcome....feel free to email me....

Thanks
    Gino

16. Collapse Details

Just to add some information about our 26 Joker. We built Tyler's boat in 10 weeks and right on schedule. Tyler's boat has a solid fiberglass bottom (no core) and is bullet proof. Tyler will gladly tell you how we operate and he's told me more than once " My 26 Joker is the best boat I've ever owned"! We now have a 17,000 sq ft shop and can produce the boats faster and even better. One thing I committed to Gino was to change the dash and make it just like a 36 Gladiator (flat panel). The 26 Joker is a straight v and will turn like a go cart , it's fast , safe and race proven. It's a great rough water boat also. We're supporting Gino 100% and our hearts and soul is in his series. We truly appreciate the opporunity to show you our passion for spec offshore powerboat racing!

Brian Hollis and David Goode
    www.JokerPerformanceBoats.com

17. Collapse Details

Gino,

Check you PM...

18. Collapse Details

Thanks Brian and Doug....

Just an update....I'm meeting again with one of the manufactures reps on Friday..and the info being brought back to the table from both the Munufactures and builders have been great info.....the one thing that is a very possitive aspect to the Series is...the Manufactures and some builders are very farmilar with this type of Road Racing Series...and they can see the potental for it....the only differacne is its on the Water...they have seen its success over the years in road racing so I'm not fighting a uphill battle...they can vision it quite well. So even in this economy its good to see there excitment and possitive attitude on there feelings on the Series.......

19. Collapse Details

Can you please give an idea on the race sites you are thinking of?

Thanks.

Randy Taylor

20. Collapse Details

Gino and Brian, I hope this takes off. Best of luck with it. You have some great ideas and like Gordo said, it worked in the past. You will always have the cry babies complaining about this and that but you will also have the loyal few that will keep it going. Dave
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the
    American Military. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.