Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MANITIE View Post
    Well....I just got off the phone with our leader of OPA....As far as race sites go, Smitty said he is behind us....there may be some ocean races we will not be able to due, but with the C.G. behind us we will have a lot of backing and may be able to works things out as they come along...even if we do 6 to 7 races in the first couple of years...it will be a great start....

Thank you OPA for supporting us and our sport.....

Why would the ocean races be a problem Gino?

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Why would the ocean races be a problem Gino?
    Hey Ted....due to permits in the Ocean races they are a little differant then your race or the races in St Clair....thats why we only have 2 races at Ocean sites....but I can see what the C.G. can do for Satudays...but either way I can work with Smitty to see what can be done....I'm sure Smitty can give you more info why though....

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fastedy View Post
    I don't see this as a low budget or starter class, I see it as show your skills
    class, if this thing takes off it would be great to see racers from all levels
    of racing from Class 6 to Supercat, like the IROC series, especially if it
    races on Saturday.

Eddie
    I remember in 2003 when we were racing in F1 and I was in the Activator....We offered some of the Super Cat guys to jump into my F1 Fountain and race with us in F1...They said HELL NO....I believe it was JT that called us Cowboys in that class...and I took it as a compliment...

Eddie...I would not be suprised to see Jimmy W in one of these....I do like the Saturday racing though...we did that in APBA and it was 2 days of great racing...even if it was only a 45 min. race and then testing after wards...then the folks on the beach can get a look at the bigger boys testing and see how good Sundays racing is going to be also....

4. Collapse Details

I would have seen the Squirrel in this class. This would have been great fun for him.
    R.I.P. Squirrel 553 - Get Better BobbyB 371

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scandelous View Post
    I would have seen the Squirrel in this class. This would have been great fun for him.
    I agree....I miss the little guy....

6. Collapse Details

Eddie...I would not be suprised to see Jimmy W in one of these....I do like the Saturday racing though...we did that in APBA and it was 2 days of great racing...even if it was only a 45 min. race and then testing after wards...then the folks on the beach can get a look at the bigger boys testing and see how good Sundays racing is going to be also....
    You would have to mount the seat on the floor

7. Collapse Details

1. The Series will be kept simple and inexpensive....
    2. With the only set up that you will be able to do on the race boat is picking 1 of 2 props (a calm water prop and a ruff water prop) and adding weight to a box in the bow, it will come down to the racers in the boat, the boats will have to make a min. weight at the completions of the race.
    3. I'm making the set up minimal so that every team will be at the same speeds and it will really come down to who practices the most and who is the better drivers and throttlemen

With this being said, there is no reason to have a gps on board then right????.....By the way this is a great idea with a great boat...
    Still searching for the ultimate old school project....

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fastedy View Post
    You would have to mount the seat on the floor
    Eddie...that or he will look like Dino in the Flintstones car with his head sticking out...

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by nocigarette View Post
    1. The Series will be kept simple and inexpensive....
    2. With the only set up that you will be able to do on the race boat is picking 1 of 2 props (a calm water prop and a ruff water prop) and adding weight to a box in the bow, it will come down to the racers in the boat, the boats will have to make a min. weight at the completions of the race.
    3. I'm making the set up minimal so that every team will be at the same speeds and it will really come down to who practices the most and who is the better drivers and throttlemen

With this being said, there is no reason to have a gps on board then right????.....By the way this is a great idea with a great boat...
    Yes....we will not have a GPS onboard....If we see or have any questions to a boat...we will look at it....we will have a protest system in place....
    But I think with the rule that if your cought cheating, the owner and racers of that team along with that boat (hull #) even with a new owner, will no longer be able to race in the sereis...and not be paid the remaining contincengy money,it will eliminate those type of racers in the Series....By this also I would think the racers and owners will police there own team not to be eliminated from the Seires....

10. Collapse Details

Just like this!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1998ftmeyers.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by THEJOKER View Post
    Gino:

Keep pushing. I love the idea of basically a IROC Series on water. Identical hulls , rigging , etc. We can't wait and we'll supoort you and your customers 100%.
    Good luck with the new venture, I did the same in the UK in 1999, but with my 21ft boat and Honda outboards, it's now grown to be the biggest one design class in the world, although I'm no longer involved in it!

My Hull is still used though, and a Cougar in the larger engine class.

12. Collapse Details

For the final templet on rigging...I will be getting with a number of boat builders and racers who have been rigging these single engine race boats for awhile that have a good knowledge in it along with safety....and look at the best way and most affordable....I want to be comfortable on once the templet is set that this is what we will be using from that point foward...it wont please everyone...and I'm sure that some racers will say this is a better way to rig then another....but thats why will look at a number of options...

After the first boat is done and have all messurements on everything and parts...I then can actually cut all hoses, wiring and order all parts to be in one kit/box to be rigged...

The only thing that I can see that will have to be modified, is a seat hight to a racers liking...which I will work out...

13. Collapse Details

For the final templet on rigging...I will be getting with a number of boat builders and racers who have been rigging these single engine race boats for awhile that have a good knowledge in it along with safety....and look at the best way and most affordable....I want to be comfortable on once the templet is set that this is what we will be using from that point foward...it wont please everyone...and I'm sure that some racers will say this is a better way to rig then another....but thats why will look at a number of options...

After the first boat is done and have all messurements on everything and parts...I then can actually cut all hoses, wiring and order all parts to be in one kit/box to be rigged...

The only thing that I can see that will have to be modified, is a seat hight to a racers liking...which I will work out...
    One thing you'll have to address and maintain is the minimum weight issue. Also I think it's a very good idea to have ballast tanks. This is a huge safety item and we can build them w/ no addittional cost. Pump and dump baby!

Here's a picture of our ballast tank. Simple and effective!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26 JOKER BALLAST.jpg  
    Last edited by THEJOKER; 12-04-2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: mispelled address

14. Collapse Details

Thanks Brian....that will work...will just make sure all ballest tanks are empty in weighting out after the race....

15. Collapse Details

Thanks Brian....that will work...will just make sure all ballest tanks are empty in weighting out after the race....
    With your response right there you just made your series alot safer. I always thought ballast tanks should of been allowed in our F1 days. We can make the tanks very inspectable too , no secret hiding places to catch water and dump later.

16. Collapse Details
    Thumbs up
    I can't wait to watch this happen.

17. Collapse Details

Yes....we will not have a GPS onboard....If we see or have any questions to a boat...we will look at it....we will have a protest system in place....
    But I think with the rule that if your cought cheating, the owner and racers of that team along with that boat (hull #) even with a new owner, will no longer be able to race in the sereis...and not be paid the remaining contincengy money,it will eliminate those type of racers in the Series....By this also I would think the racers and owners will police there own team not to be eliminated from the Seires....
    Not saying anything bad about any organization but i always questioned the accuracy of a gps that you have to drop off at a trailer and pic back up to see where you placed.....I really think this is a awesome idea and cant wait to see where this goes???? Great choice in boat also......I have always loved the joker, a fast safe traditional hull.....
    Still searching for the ultimate old school project....

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by nocigarette View Post
    Not saying anything bad about any organization but i always questioned the accuracy of a gps that you have to drop off at a trailer and pic back up to see where you placed.....I really think this is a awesome idea and cant wait to see where this goes???? Great choice in boat also......I have always loved the joker, a fast safe traditional hull.....
    8 years ago I would have said the same thing...but after racing in OPA for the last 3 years....I'm having a ball....And love it when our compeditors are faster then the brake out speed...we beat them all the time becasue they have to keep feathering the throttles...when you know your boat can't hit the brake out speed its just like spec racing...we have to run it on the edge to be up front....I loved Class 3...and us and Wanted have battle for all 3 years becuase we could not brake out....its been some of the crazyest racing I have every been in....but it looks like its time we both move up and harass another class....

On the New Series side...there was always something about F1 that was great...it was the big boat count and great compitition...it was not check book racing...the 500 and 525's were bullet proof...so you didn't have to brake the bank to race...It was deck to deck even if you were in 12 place...you still were deck to deck with another boat...and don't slow down becasue there was another boat right behind you....but the one thing I learned in F1 the boat you ran also made a differance....that was one disadvantage...
    When looking at putting the Series together there were a few things I knew I wanted to do:
    1. Make it affordable...
    2. All run the same hulls and exact same boats...I watch a number of IROC races over the years...and that stuck in my mind...lets race and leave it to the driver and throttlemen...
    3. Find a hull manufacture that is 100% onboard...the publisity they will get will be like no other.
    4. Find a engine sponsor that would also back the Series and offer money to the racers while we promoted there engines and open there munufacture to a whole new line of boat owners...
    5. Make the boat, race on Sat and take the family on the rest of the week even to go out in it and watch the races on Sunday with the family.
    6. I knew I would have to build the first boat to show that I'm committed to the Series.
    7. Surrond myself around good people...racers, Org, Safety, ect. we don't need the crying, the interfearing, the bi$ching....will keep it simple and fun
    8. Most of all...WE DON'T NEED CHEATING.....

Just some of the things that I tought was needed in some differant type of racing....

19. Collapse Details

Im already onboard for the two mich races with opa, anything else I can do just let me know.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    Im already onboard for the two mich races with opa, anything else I can do just let me know.

Will keep in touch....were we want to take this back to the Factory days...the 20 -25 boats racing deck to deck..and I'm sure we will need as many volunteers as we can get...we would love to also get volunteers involved and get them to see first hand how fun and inexpensive it is and join us in the racing...