Thread: Winter Projects

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

No go again this weekend. Dave is in Detroit today and has a graduation party tomorrow. And yes, I am not a happy guy. Running the drives up so he can complete it and run it this week. Hoping for delivery next weekend. This sucks.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by redhotsommer View Post
    No go again this weekend. Dave is in Detroit today and has a graduation party tomorrow. And yes, I am not a happy guy. Running the drives up so he can complete it and run it this week. Hoping for delivery next weekend. This sucks.
    Yep ! Sho- enough Just ask the old phart's been there done that Chitt ! mor money, Mor MONEY !

3. Collapse Details

We got ryans motors in today.95 degrees, out in the sun, and working in the bilge was good times!

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    We got ryans motors in today.95 degrees, out in the sun, and working in the bilge was good times!
    Sounds like a great time......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

That sucks Mike. That is the reason I try and do all my own work. If you want it done right, and on time do it yourself. I hope you get the boat back soon. Don't feel bad my boat has been in for 3 weeks and I have not left the slip.

Mark

6. Collapse Details

Hey at least I had a fan blowing on me while running the machine. It was hot out there.

Mark

7. Collapse Details

My winter project is FINALLY DONE! Thanks to Dave and Big D...we've created a monster. Actually...nothing unexpected. Running it with Dave on Lake Macatawa with my 26 Hydros, we hit 5500 rpm and about 78 mph before running out of room...it was still climbing, but I think those props are going to be a little small...but definately usable until I find exactly what I need. The boat came on plane like a rocketship...one of my concerns with adding the shorties was difficulty planing...but it was UNREAL how fast it came up. If I ran the drive out like I used to right when it was coming over, it would blow out badly...so I had to wait until it was planed, then trim the tabs up, THEN trim the drives out and it just took off.

We celebrated our success (NO WATER IN THE BILGE, NO GEAR LUBE IN THE WATER!) with a stop at The Boatwerks, a restaurant on Lake Mac. Couple cocktails, some dinner, then ran the boat back to the launch, put it on the trailer, and went about a mile into the state park where we got a hotel for the night. Watched the sunset, then walked back to the hotel and stopped at a General Store for some...provisions. Wouldn't ya know it...they had Sailor Jerry. It was a good night.

Today we got up and biked 26 miles around Lake Mac and grabbed some breakfast, then changed up the props to the Bravo 30s. Boat came up fast once again, but seemed WAY faster in the midrange. With the 26s, 4000 rpm was about 57 mph, with the 30s, we were at 63. Hit 75 with plenty of stick to spare, then took it out on the big pond to play in some 3 footers. When we brought it back in, I gave it another couple speed runs and hit 80 and 81 respectively, with the tabs at 2 and shutting it down before I speedo stopped climbing. I think its realistically an 85 mph boat once I get it propped right...I want to try some 28 Hydros, but right now the 30 Bravo is the choice.

ONLY PROBLEM I HAD: When we came out of the water with BOTH sets of props...upon landing, they totally blew out. Playing in the 3 footers, it was like hitting the brakes when we came back in until the props hooked up. I am SURE this is horrible on the drives and need some opinions as to why this might be happening. Is it that I'm pulling back too far on the sticks and the big torque number is screwing me up upon re-entry? Or is it that I possibly had the drives trimmed out too far? I usually ran the boat with the standard lowers at 3-4 pins all the time...it would NOT run with the drives tucked all the way in. Now, with the shorties, it seems like it will run tucked in...could that be a solution?

8. Collapse Details

Im wondering if its like we talked yesterday,,,,try trimming out a touch less,,,,unless your still gaining speed of course.

Just like adding spacers on BZ's,,,,now he can trim out farther and still gain speed

Wondering if the opposite might be true on yours,,,, not need to trim out so much for top speed

9. Collapse Details

, NO GEAR LUBE IN THE WATER
    My personal favorite !!!

Sorry about the back of your truck though!!!!!!

10. Collapse Details

Mike, first of all this is good news, glad to hear you are up and running! I am sure you have a 85+ mph boat once its dialed in.

As for the props blowing out, I agree with Dennis. It sounds like you may be trimming out to far for rough water. The shorter drives, are now 2" closer to the surface, add some positive trim, and now even closer. Granted my setup is a little different, but last season in rough water, I never had a prop blow out, (after being on plane) and thats coming off the throttles and re-entering and straight to WFO. In rough water, i'd usually have the drives at 2-3 max, and tabs adjusted accordingly, depending on the seas. If less trim doesn't help you, 5 blades should.

Your planing sounds like mine. The ONLY way my boat will get on plane, is tabs down, drives in, and wait till it lays over. I cannot bring the tabs up, nor drives out, until it is actually on plane. As soon as i start raising the tabs once on plane, its like someone hit the nitrous button.

What RPM were you getting out of the 30P bravo's? Also, what did those dry pipes do for you???

11. Collapse Details

Also, Mike, get in touch with Brian. I would recommend trying his 26P hydromotive quad IV-X. They are more of a round ear/bow lifting prop compared to your hydromotive's. They are real nice props. RPM wise, they should be close to a 28P bravo, maybe 100-200rpm higher r's. More RPM, less pitch, = easier on drives, of course as long as the powerband/valvetrain can take it. I'll say that theory worked for the Miller boys. 6000RPM, 700HP, thru TRS drives, and didnt break them. And they sure did not drive like little old ladies.

12. Collapse Details

Congrats Mike sounds like a good start to the season, your old set up was about 80ish too? I remember I was doing right around 80mph and you were right there.

Mr. Thunder, with 520hp/600tq a labbed 26P Bravo1 prop, I`m under propped a bit?
    This boat gets on plane so easy, seems I don`t even need any tabs, I figured it was due to the twins but the 26P`s can`t hurt.
    I prefer more low end, easier on the drives combo, seems thats what I have?
    The A.T. needed alot of tab to get on plane, and to keep it from shooting for the moon... this boat even a little tab is like putting on the brakes.

Sorry for the hijack Mike

13. Collapse Details

he ran 73 ish with his old setup

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL View Post
    Congrats Mike sounds like a good start to the season, your old set up was about 80ish too? I remember I was doing right around 80mph and you were right there.

Mr. Thunder, with 520hp/600tq a labbed 26P Bravo1 prop, I`m under propped a bit?
    This boat gets on plane so easy, seems I don`t even need any tabs, I figured it was due to the twins but the 26P`s can`t hurt.
    I prefer more low end, easier on the drives combo, seems thats what I have?
    The A.T. needed alot of tab to get on plane, and to keep it from shooting for the moon... this boat even a little tab is like putting on the brakes.

Sorry for the hijack Mike
    As long as your wot rpm is where it needs to be, enjoy! Don't change a thing.

I finally tried a set of props last week that got my boat on plane really well! Ryan and I went down to the river last week to run the boat. Put my new props on, and took FOREVER to get on plane. Then tried his props. Bingo! Bring it up to 4000, and hang on! We looked at each other the first time it shot on plane with his props, and were like "wtf, did that just happen?" I kept avoiding the idea of installing drive spacers, and am glad I did. Tried turning the drives "out" this year. No good. Boat runs like a pontoon with them turning out. So now they are back "in" like they were. Next is smaller pulleys to get the boost up where I want it.
    Last edited by Ratickle; 06-14-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: fixed quote bracket

15. Collapse Details

As long as your wot rpm is where it needs to be, enjoy! Don't change a thing.

I finally tried a set of props last week that got my boat on plane really well! Ryan and I went down to the river last week to run the boat. Put my new props on, and took FOREVER to get on plane. Then tried his props. Bingo! Bring it up to 4000, and hang on! We looked at each other the first time it shot on plane with his props, and were like "wtf, did that just happen?" I kept avoiding the idea of installing drive spacers, and am glad I did. Tried turning the drives "out" this year. No good. Boat runs like a pontoon with them turning out. So now they are back "in" like they were. Next is smaller pulleys to get the boost up where I want it.

Joe, are your new props 3 or 4 blades ?.

16. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My winter project is FINALLY DONE! Thanks to Dave and Big D...we've created a monster. Actually...nothing unexpected. Running it with Dave on Lake Macatawa with my 26 Hydros, we hit 5500 rpm and about 78 mph before running out of room...it was still climbing, but I think those props are going to be a little small...but definately usable until I find exactly what I need. The boat came on plane like a rocketship...one of my concerns with adding the shorties was difficulty planing...but it was UNREAL how fast it came up. If I ran the drive out like I used to right when it was coming over, it would blow out badly...so I had to wait until it was planed, then trim the tabs up, THEN trim the drives out and it just took off.

We celebrated our success (NO WATER IN THE BILGE, NO GEAR LUBE IN THE WATER!) with a stop at The Boatwerks, a restaurant on Lake Mac. Couple cocktails, some dinner, then ran the boat back to the launch, put it on the trailer, and went about a mile into the state park where we got a hotel for the night. Watched the sunset, then walked back to the hotel and stopped at a General Store for some...provisions. Wouldn't ya know it...they had Sailor Jerry. It was a good night.

Today we got up and biked 26 miles around Lake Mac and grabbed some breakfast, then changed up the props to the Bravo 30s. Boat came up fast once again, but seemed WAY faster in the midrange. With the 26s, 4000 rpm was about 57 mph, with the 30s, we were at 63. Hit 75 with plenty of stick to spare, then took it out on the big pond to play in some 3 footers. When we brought it back in, I gave it another couple speed runs and hit 80 and 81 respectively, with the tabs at 2 and shutting it down before I speedo stopped climbing. I think its realistically an 85 mph boat once I get it propped right...I want to try some 28 Hydros, but right now the 30 Bravo is the choice.

ONLY PROBLEM I HAD: When we came out of the water with BOTH sets of props...upon landing, they totally blew out. Playing in the 3 footers, it was like hitting the brakes when we came back in until the props hooked up. I am SURE this is horrible on the drives and need some opinions as to why this might be happening. Is it that I'm pulling back too far on the sticks and the big torque number is screwing me up upon re-entry? Or is it that I possibly had the drives trimmed out too far? I usually ran the boat with the standard lowers at 3-4 pins all the time...it would NOT run with the drives tucked all the way in. Now, with the shorties, it seems like it will run tucked in...could that be a solution?
    I'm only a little north of Lake Mac. Did you go out in the Big Lake and run up the coast????
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

17. Collapse Details

Nope. Just a little loop outside the pierhead. We'll be in South Haven this weekend...you should swing by.

18. Collapse Details

Congrats Mike!

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MILICEVICGM View Post
    Joe, are your new props 3 or 4 blades ?.
    Hey George. They are 4 blades...17x29p. You are welcome to try them out on yours if you want to...I'll give you a call this evening to catch up...

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    I'm only a little north of Lake Mac. Did you go out in the Big Lake and run up the coast????
    Only a lil?