Thread: Winter Projects

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CSCinc View Post
    Think the problem was the old fuel never got pumped out of the boat
    Dave said he pumped 250 gallons of 3-year-old fuel out of it. Plus, he ran it for over 3 hours with no problems...it was the second refill that did it.

2. Collapse Details

Well there are some details left out about this situation, but on another note Dave is standing by his work so you cant complain about that............... Alot more then most engine builders out there

3. Collapse Details

Well there are some details left out about this situation, but on another note Dave is standing by his work so you cant complain about that............... Alot more then most engine builders out there
    Just out of curiousity...what might have been left out? I actually spoke with Dave when I dropped my motors off...

4. Collapse Details

Not bashing anybody so dont get the wrong idea

5. Collapse Details

Didn't say you were...just curious as to what you know that's different from what I know...pm me if you want.

6. Collapse Details

Joe can you throw so stable in the BT too, and maybe a quick wash..... jus askin

7. Collapse Details

Joe can you throw so stable in the BT too, and maybe a quick wash..... jus askin
    No stabil here, but i can put some seafoam in it. Your dad says he loves that $hit.

As for a wash, i have some secret sauce of my own you can try, but with this stuff you gotta rub it out first before you can use it.

8. Collapse Details

TMI,,,,,TMI !!!!!!!

9. Collapse Details
    Your Sick !
    Quote Originally Posted by OBNOXUS View Post
    TMI,,,,,TMI !!!!!!!
    Azz Pig

10. Collapse Details

Bad picture but the intakes and carbs. are on....new Teague polished aluminum valve covers will be installed in the next few weeks. Also the blocks have been sanded and painted. Thanks Schlepp Racing!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intake Pics 1.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SC288 View Post
    Bad picture but the intakes and carbs. are on....new Teague polished aluminum valve covers will be installed in the next few weeks. Also the blocks have been sanded and painted. Thanks Schlepp Racing!!!
    Lookin good! Your carbs would look sweet with some black paint..Maybe some of the black/aluminum AN fittings for the fuel lines??

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    Lookin good! Your carbs would look sweet with some black paint..Maybe some of the black/aluminum AN fittings for the fuel lines??
    Thanks Joe! I am still thinking about painting them but am leaning towards leaving them natural. I am going to wait until I have the valve covers and MSD installed to see how it looks together.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by redhotsommer View Post
    Just out of curiousity...what might have been left out? I actually spoke with Dave when I dropped my motors off...
    Just for the record....................... All the old fuel WAS pumped out when the boat was received at the shop. The fuel filters were new and used. There was 200 gals of fuel put in the boat by Dave before the 2 hour seatrial of runnin the $hit out of it on lake Michigan. The boat was then taken by the owner to Hammond and put in a slip. The next day, the owner and 4 friends ran the boat to Chicago and started heading back to Hammond. On the way back the owner started to run the boat full throttle for a while. Then one engine started to make "weird noises' LMAO so they shut down and opened the hatch. They found oil sprayed all over the engine compartment. So, they came back in the harbor on the other engine.
    Once back on the trailer they called Dave, and he told them to bring the boat back to the shop, which they did that day. Once back at the shop, Dave found that "both" engines were hurt, so he pulled both engines. Upon taking them apart, the one engine had melted large holes into the center of ALL the pistons, and the other engine had pistons that showed serious signs of detonation too.

First thing that they thought, was that they bought a load of bad gas at the gas station. So, Dave went to pump some fuel out to have it tested for specific gravity to determine the octane. When he turned the keys on to run the electric fuel pumps, both fuel gauges were below "E" !! They did'nt even move. So, then he tried running the fuel pumps, and the pump from the side that toasted the engine, would'nt even pump ANY fuel out of it. It was totally dry. So they ran a line into the tank through the inspection hole where the sender is, and they sucked out 6 gals of fuel, out of a 160 gal tank. The other tank had 9 gallons of fuel that was sucked out the same way. The fuel was tested and it was fine.
    The owner was called and was asked when was the last time he put fuel into the boat. He said that it was right before they put it in the water for the sea trial and that was the only time.
    So, the boat was run at WOT for about a 2 hour window to sea trial it, and it had 200 gals of fuel in it. Then it went from Hammond to Chicago, and back towards Hammond at full throttle, and when approaching Hammond the one engine melted down. It RAN OUT OF GAS !!! leaned out the blower motor and melted the pistons. PERIOD

When the guys came back to pick up the boat a few weeks later after Dave rebuilt both engines and reinstalled them into the boat again, he asked all the guys that were in the boat at the time it "blewup" if any of them know how to read a gauge. They all looked at each other and said sure we do. Then Dave asked them why nobody in the boat bothered to look at the fuel gauges, cause both tanks were empty, that's what burned the motors down

They said that they thought that the 200 gals of fuel that was put in before they ran it at the sea trial was enough to last for a while. And how come if the boat ran out of fuel, the engines did'nt just shut off ??? I could'nt believe anyone would even say that. A blower motor don't just shut off when you run it out of fuel and lean out the engine.

Dave completely rebuilt both engines, dyno'd them again, and installed them into the boat, and the problem was'nt his fault at all.

Morrow of the story............... watch your gauges, especially the fuel gauge. LOL

14. Collapse Details

Thanks for the info Frank!

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    Just for the record....................... All the old fuel WAS pumped out when the boat was received at the shop. The fuel filters were new and used. There was 200 gals of fuel put in the boat by Dave before the 2 hour seatrial of runnin the $hit out of it on lake Michigan. The boat was then taken by the owner to Hammond and put in a slip. The next day, the owner and 4 friends ran the boat to Chicago and started heading back to Hammond. On the way back the owner started to run the boat full throttle for a while. Then one engine started to make "weird noises' LMAO so they shut down and opened the hatch. They found oil sprayed all over the engine compartment. So, they came back in the harbor on the other engine.
    Once back on the trailer they called Dave, and he told them to bring the boat back to the shop, which they did that day. Once back at the shop, Dave found that "both" engines were hurt, so he pulled both engines. Upon taking them apart, the one engine had melted large holes into the center of ALL the pistons, and the other engine had pistons that showed serious signs of detonation too.

First thing that they thought, was that they bought a load of bad gas at the gas station. So, Dave went to pump some fuel out to have it tested for specific gravity to determine the octane. When he turned the keys on to run the electric fuel pumps, both fuel gauges were below "E" !! They did'nt even move. So, then he tried running the fuel pumps, and the pump from the side that toasted the engine, would'nt even pump ANY fuel out of it. It was totally dry. So they ran a line into the tank through the inspection hole where the sender is, and they sucked out 6 gals of fuel, out of a 160 gal tank. The other tank had 9 gallons of fuel that was sucked out the same way. The fuel was tested and it was fine.
    The owner was called and was asked when was the last time he put fuel into the boat. He said that it was right before they put it in the water for the sea trial and that was the only time.
    So, the boat was run at WOT for about a 2 hour window to sea trial it, and it had 200 gals of fuel in it. Then it went from Hammond to Chicago, and back towards Hammond at full throttle, and when approaching Hammond the one engine melted down. It RAN OUT OF GAS !!! leaned out the blower motor and melted the pistons. PERIOD

When the guys came back to pick up the boat a few weeks later after Dave rebuilt both engines and reinstalled them into the boat again, he asked all the guys that were in the boat at the time it "blewup" if any of them know how to read a gauge. They all looked at each other and said sure we do. Then Dave asked them why nobody in the boat bothered to look at the fuel gauges, cause both tanks were empty, that's what burned the motors down

They said that they thought that the 200 gals of fuel that was put in before they ran it at the sea trial was enough to last for a while. And how come if the boat ran out of fuel, the engines did'nt just shut off ??? I could'nt believe anyone would even say that. A blower motor don't just shut off when you run it out of fuel and lean out the engine.

Dave completely rebuilt both engines, dyno'd them again, and installed them into the boat, and the problem was'nt his fault at all.

Morrow of the story............... watch your gauges, especially the fuel gauge. LOL

I had a buddy do something similar with a blower motor. he didnt run it out of fuel, but had it setup way lean, with too much compression in the first place with his setup. Burnt up some pistons. I asked what his oil temp was showing before it let go, he said around 320 degrees Oil gets real hot when the pistons start glowing!

Irrelevent though, like Frank says, with a blower motor you dont get second chances. I first heard something about bad gas getting pumped in, but couldnt totally believe that in my head. Running them out of fuel, and melting the pistons and pumping oil all over the bilge, this i can believe 100%. Not that bad gas couldnt do damage, but the boat ran flawless for the sea trial. They probably went thru 150 of that 200 gallons on the sea trial. If the gas was bad, there would have been issues on the sea trial. Once that fuel level drops down that low in the tanks, with sloshing around, pumps sucking air, starving the engines, kaboom. Game over.

16. Collapse Details

You got the picture there Joe. I know 1st hand that a 46 Cig with big power, will burn 2 gals per mile for both engines just cruising at 4000 rpm, without any WOT running. I ran a 46 (strip poker) from Chicago to boaters beach and back, averaging about 70-75 mph, and when I got back to the boat launch the tanks read both at 1/2. 160 gallon tanks, 80 gals per engine to go 80 miles, 2 gals to the mile. Costly trip to the beach. LOL

17. Collapse Details

Can you say fuel pressure switch and a big old shift light shining in your face?

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SC288 View Post
    Those look nice Mike. I sure hope those intakes don't leak like a sieve since we didn't use those cork end seals that came in the package.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by WETTE VETTE View Post
    Those look nice Mike. I sure hope those intakes don't leak like a sieve since we didn't use those cork end seals that came in the package.
    Uh oh, u didn't put the cork seals under the intake in the front and back? What kind of backyard engine building is goin on over there? Lemme guess, wette vette slapped a bunch of silicone in there.....you Indiana guys, Idk..

j/k....your fine. No worries! That's how its done.....

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by WETTE VETTE View Post
    Can you say fuel pressure switch and a big old shift light shining in your face?
    I plan to do this. Warning buzzer is nice, led warning lights are cool, but would like to tap into the ignition
    , so that in the event of oil pressure loss, or fuel psi loss, the ignition cuts out. I'm pretty anal about watching gauges, but there's always that time when you are in rough water running hard and you are watching the water. Merc does this on their new stuff don't they?