Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Look, I'm as guilty as anyone since I lent my name and voice to a lot of the closed course "revolution" back in the 90's. Please don't confuse my excited announcing (for which I was well paid) with where my heart was, and is.

The beauty of hindsight is that it is 20/20. in the late 80's a handful of racers took a sport that wasn't broken....and "fixed" it. We have been paying the tab for that mistake ever since.

Offshore racing to have any credibility, needs to be in big seas. I don't really care if navigators are used or not, but I do think that a 40 foot vee or cat on a 5 mile flat water course is a complete contradiction. We already have numerous inboard and outboard closed course classes and they are the core of APBA's (and boat racing's) history. They certainly are designed for inshore courses and are unfit for open ocean racing in most cases. The same can be said for Offshore boats in reverse.

T2x
    Last edited by T2x; 10-22-2010 at 09:25 AM.
    Allergic to Nonsense

2. Collapse Details

Remember when Bob Saccenti Bounced off wave tops for 100+ miles at 90mph? With Todays Racing Bob Barker could throttle and run up front if he could afford the equipment cause he would never have to launch off a wave and need to be trimmed correctly do it right. Heck a full load of fuel for todays race boat probably wouldn't fill one tank of old. Once I drove from VA to sarasota and had the race shortened to two 26 mile laps cause it was too rough, there where 2'-4' waves