Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Something to think about...What's changed?
    Blog Entries
    The sport misses marathons......

The recent Around Long Island race reminded me of just how much the sport of boat racing was stimulated by long distance enduros. The boat and motor manufacturers all competed for bragging rights about which product had the most endurance capabilities. The local marine dealers and service shops, most of whom had boats entered, all spent weeks of late nights preparing hardware while simultaneously piquing their customers' interest in the upcoming event. The various races ( Albany-NY, Gold Coast, Havasu, Salton Sea, Orange Bowl, Miami-Nassau, Around Long Island, Bahamas 500, Milwaukee-Chicago-Milwaukee, Parker, Berryessa, etc, etc,) touched most of the major markets , and some of the minor ones, in the U.S. During this era, the Offshore, OPC, Outboard and Inboard divisions all participated in long distance events and grew dynamically at least in part because of the tremendous interest generated by these iconic events. I guarantee that a reality show filmed at any one of the above events would generate enormous interest on TV.

There is a clear lesson in that the sport of track in the US only really caught fire in recent decades after various cities and communities started putting on half and full marathons, while spectator interest in sprinting has been relegated to every 4 years at the Olympics. Isn't there a parallel here in which boat racing has been reduced to heat races, 15 minute "mains", and 1/4 mile sprints, in the OPC, Outboard and Inboard ranks, or 80 mile "beach, bay and lake" races in the offshore arena...and gone steadily downhill as a result? Do racers really want to spend a fortune on transporting rigs and teams thousands of miles, with disposable, high horsepower, grenade like engines, in ever more lightweight boats, that you get to race for only a few minutes? Do spectators want to watch a race where you have no idea what boat is in what class, and if you step away for a soft drink, you miss most of the racing? With the new web based GPS tracking technology you can follow these races from anywhere on earth (Perhaps put a lap counter on closed course marathons?)

We should take a lesson from, not only the road runners, but our own history as well.

The shorter the race, the less interesting it is.

There is a new effort in Europe to bring back longer point to point events........and Ron Hill and his cohorts have begun to resurrect the Parker Enduro. With all of the hoopla surrounding the Miami Marine Stadium...shouldn't we be looking to recapture some of the old Orange Bowl Magic?

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

2. Collapse Details

We (Popra) have been talking about having a race as a part of the Salton Sea Kilo run next year in January. Speed Week.

I think that the enduro and the long runs San Franciso to La etc are what the sport was based on and should go back to as a part of a championship. Handling, Speed and endurance.

Bring the wing!

pat W
    Unique Innovative Drivetrain Solutions

3. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shifter View Post
    We (Popra) have been talking about having a race as a part of the Salton Sea Kilo run next year in January. Speed Week.

I think that the enduro and the long runs San Franciso to La etc are what the sport was based on and should go back to as a part of a championship. Handling, Speed and endurance.

Bring the wing!

pat W

The wing might pound itself to pieces on the road trip out to California....
    Allergic to Nonsense

4. Collapse Details

Its better than freezing to death in NJ. Put air ride on the trailer and head west.

pat W
    Unique Innovative Drivetrain Solutions

5. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    I started racing in the late 50's in a 85 mile marathon around Narragansett Bay. I had a little 14 foot Whirlwind with a 35 horse outboard. What I didn't have, was any idea of how much fun this was going to be and how addictive it would prove to be.

I finished second the first year and came back the next year with an upgrade in raw power to a 40 horsepower and won. I even polished the bottom of the boat with Turtle Wax or something like that of that era.

My love of long distance racing has never stopped since that first time. All we (the older racers) want is for the racers of today to experience the magic of a marathon. It doesn't matter if you are in an outboard at the Salton Sea, or an offshore boat for Miami to Nassau. Just try it and you won't forget it quickly.

At the OFF meeting last week, we spoke about the wonderful times we grew up in and the heroes we watched and emulated from afar. I believe the same opportunities are out there today in this era, waiting for the racers of today, who will take the chance to innovate and improve the products. But unless you have the chance to race in these events, you will never know.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shifter View Post
    Its better than freezing to death in NJ.
    pat W
    Good point....is Nancy Pelosi still in California?
    Allergic to Nonsense

7. Collapse Details

No, she's in DC screwing up the rest of the country!

8. Collapse Details

I've rarely if ever chimed in on these race discussions mostly because its been 30+ years since I participated in some of the old POPRA events. I remember the pre-race jitters and feelings of "how are we ever going to compete against some of this machinery?". I also recall how thrilled we were to experience the great leveling effect of ALL the factors in a longer race - the milder engines/durability, systems/rigging, navigation, hull type, driving skill, fuel management, weather and sea state, and just plain dogged persistence. I never ceased to enjoy the comraderie back at the pits and the endless stories of how the myriad of small things made all the difference in the course of 70+ miles. I think you hit the nail on the head Rich in your post detailing the 30' Sonic. Your post on the 35 hp boat, Charlie brought back fond memories of trying to go the distance in my old 18' Sea Ray and just getting beat to pieces and loving every minute of it.
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

9. Collapse Details

If your pulling tape each lap for 60 miles or going around long Island 250 miles it's all good challenge& fun!!Do that with a boat race the same day ending&recording boat or team @end of event 2 peas in a pod

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slandrew View Post
    If your pulling tape each lap for 60 miles or going around long Island 250 miles it's all good challenge& fun!!Do that with a boat race the same day ending&recording boat or team @end of event 2 peas in a pod
    No it isn't....... it takes a LOT more endurance both physically and mechanically to race the long distance point to point events...and you don't need GPS limits to equalize the opportunities.
    Allergic to Nonsense

11. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Since you want to bring back races with "navigation", will you outlaw GPS's?? Just curious.

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Shafts View Post
    Since you want to bring back races with "navigation", will you outlaw GPS's?? Just curious.
    I wouldn't...... The addition of GPS makes the Navigator "obsolete", but so be it. Maybe you can replace him with a riding mechanic.

Certainly the GPS web tracking would add to the excitement.

Also, for the record, I have no quarrel with closed courses.....for closed course boats.

Havasu , Parker, The Orange Bowl all were 6 to 9 hour races on closed courses of as little as 4 miles around, ....and that is perfect for inboards and outboards up to about 20 feet. On the other hand, I think that putting a 30'-45' Offshore Cat or Vee on such a course is like putting a Sprint Cup car on an 1/8th mile go cart track. We have taken boats designed to run in Big Seas and , strictly to appease guys who want "more power, more power, more power" and "top speed, top speed, top speed", we have bastardized the "offshore" race courses into absurd parodies that make no sense at all.

Case in point, back in the 60's we raced on a course in Great South Bay at Sayville much like the current Patchogue "Offshore" course....... The difference is we ran in boats that were between 13 and 20 feet.....and that was a nice challenging local 2 hour marathon. The turns are too tight, the course is too short, the waves are too small and the depth is too shallow for a true Offshore event...... again IMHO......

The interesting thing is that many of the boats in the current GPS classes...are almost "race ready" for longer distances and I think these guys would love a chance to stretch their legs and run heads up with no "limiters" against each other in big seas....

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

13. Collapse Details

In order to save the sport, the racing needs to go back offshore. I have heard the same tired argument about the fans not being able to see the whole course for way too long. Short courses designed to allow the spectator to see the whole course have not added a single fan. Look at the state of offshore racing and try to argue that it has.

I would really hope that all of todays racers would love to have the opportunity to race offshore. There really is no experience like it.

14. Collapse Details

I think its wishful thinking. I dont expect to see offshore powerboat racing the way it was years ago. However, maybe someone can make it happen

15. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Quote Originally Posted by DrGaryDC View Post
    I think its wishful thinking. I dont expect to see offshore powerboat racing the way it was years ago. However, maybe someone can make it happen
    Perhaps you have been away this summer and missed something.

June the Around Ireland race
    August the Cowes Torquay Cowes race
    September the Around Long Island race.

Offshore racing the way it used to be, is already up and running and attracting more interest every day.

Next year 2011 the Sept 24th race will be Around Long Island and in November, a new race from Fort Lauderdale to Key West will be held.

Dust that Apache off and come on our for some fun, we will show you what you have missed.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

16. Collapse Details

onshore racing is not offshore racing
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    I wouldn't...... The addition of GPS makes the Navigator "obsolete", but so be it. Maybe you can replace him with a riding mechanic.

Certainly the GPS web tracking would add to the excitement.

Also, for the record, I have no quarrel with closed courses.....for closed course boats.

Havasu , Parker, The Orange Bowl all were 6 to 9 hour races on closed courses of as little as 4 miles around, ....and that is perfect for inboards and outboards up to about 20 feet. On the other hand, I think that putting a 30'-45' Offshore Cat or Vee on such a course is like putting a Sprint Cup car on an 1/8th mile go cart track. We have taken boats designed to run in Big Seas and , strictly to appease guys who want "more power, more power, more power" and "top speed, top speed, top speed", we have bastardized the "offshore" race courses into absurd parodies that make no sense at all.

Case in point, back in the 60's we raced on a course in Great South Bay at Sayville much like the current Patchogue "Offshore" course....... The difference is we ran in boats that were between 13 and 20 feet.....and that was a nice challenging local 2 hour marathon. The turns are too tight, the course is too short, the waves are too small and the depth is too shallow for a true Offshore event...... again IMHO......

The interesting thing is that many of the boats in the current GPS classes...are almost "race ready" for longer distances and I think these guys would love a chance to stretch their legs and run heads up with no "limiters" against each other in big seas....

T2x
    Rich,
    Years ago, how many races were won or lost due to a navigator doing or not doing his home work on a race course, It was a part of the race.
    I wonder how many racers/boaters can plot a course without GPS today?
    Keep the web tracking and bring back the compass and plot real race courses and run offhsore. , have your beach front runs and then offshore for a leg or two.

Just a thought
    thank you
    jim
    Last edited by dammmagnum; 10-20-2010 at 07:32 PM.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    onshore racing is not offshore racing
    It's driving a car

19. Collapse Details

I guess I meant inshore
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

20. Collapse Details

I saw pictures from a race two weeks ago that had two 36 Skaters with the #13 on them. As if Parading around a 6 mile course doesn't get confusing enough, Lets put two boats with the same Numbers on them That'll leave them Scratching their heads