1. Collapse Details
    Single-axle day cab / Sliding 5th wheel / Ft. Lauderdale Area
    We are looking for someone with a single-axle day cab (or maybe sliding 5th wheel?) in the Fort Lauderdale area that can be hired to move our European trailer away from the port (just the trailer not the boat) around October 25th.

Last spring this same trailer was moved around Florida using a rented single-axle day cab so we know exactly how to modify it (electronics, air brakes, and king pin). When renting the truck, the special trucking insurance policy was very expensive (since we are not a trucking company) so I am trying to find a more reasonable cost.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks, Janet

Janet@Racewater.com

Last edited by Racewater; 10-16-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: changed brakes to be "air brakes"

2. Collapse Details

Penske will not rent to you if the driver has a class A?

3. Collapse Details

even if you find someone with a single axel tractor, the problem is that 99% of them will not have an electric brake controller. But if you are only going from the port to a wherehouse with no boat then I would not worry about trailer brakes. The tractor should have more than enough stopping power. I can't begin to tell you how many boats that I have towed where the trailer brakes were useless. Good luck

just reread your post, the trailer should have air brakes and the hookups should be the same for the tractor and trailer. Although some trailers have the air lines connected to it with the quick release at the tractor end. Most commercial tractors are connected at the tractor end witht the quick disconnect at the trailer side.

4. Collapse Details

Hi, Thanks for your replies.
    The brakes are air brakes, however the connections are all European so we have to change out the wire connectors.
    The insurace problem is related to the company renting the tractor (and not the driver who does have class A). Commercial Liability Insurance is required and that is very expensive since we are not a trucking company. Please let me know if you have any ideas on who might be able to help us in Florida. Thanks, Janet