Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Racerguymiami View Post
    Ok, for those that want to know. About four years ago I decided to build a new sport hull, two seater open cockpit boat, 30 feet. This is after building several v hull boats in the 21-23 foot range racing in the islands with 2.5 litre Mercs. The hull and deck lines were designed and then it was time to tweak the hull running surface design. In order to avoid the costs of building molds and hoping they ran according to the design theory, I had a few of the Miami sport center console builders (same 30 foot size range) come on line. They allowed me to use their existing molds and modify them using inserts based on the design I had. This was a great test bed as these boats were being popped out, rigged, tested and sold almost immediately after production in large numbers. Also, I was being paid to make these changes. This allowed me to tweak the design on each boat by modifying the inserts until a massive improvement in handling and speed was achieved.

The hull/deck plug and mold for my boat was then built. First out was a lightweight (4600 LBS) open cockpit version (pre sold). We tested this boat with a high hour 525 with great results. Never satisfied I made a few more changes to the bottom which yeilded even better results. Owner wanted it enclosed so a lid was designed and installed with safety being the utmost factor. Removing the open cockpit section and adding additional bulkheads, deflectors, lid and equipment added another 275 LBS to the boat so the complete boat now weighs in at 4875 LBS. The boat seemed to like the aerodynamics of the lid as it picked up an additional 1.5 MPH even with the added weight. The handling also improved due to the increased weight.

I had a discussion with one of the orgs regarding changes to the original boat, where #2 and #3 may run on a different bottom. I was immediately reminded of Fountain and how he did this with his suer V's and was detrimental to the class.

So now, to avoid any discrepencies with the orgs and competitors regarding modified decks and hulls, a new mold is near completion to include the changes to the original boat. Once complete a new boat will be built. At that time all are invited to visit, view and test run if you like. This is Florida so a nice January test run is more than do-able.
    You should post pictures of those other builds. It is always interesting to seeing how boats and speed evolve with each new version

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    You should post pictures of those other builds. It is always interesting to seeing how boats and speed evolve with each new version
    Yes you should. Are you in Key West? If so, stop by Guy's and do some chatting tomorrow evening. I'll buy you a drink or two.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

I'll be down early Friday morning just for the day. Head back friday night and return again Sunday morning.

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerguymiami View Post
    I'll be down early Friday morning just for the day. Head back friday night and return again Sunday morning.
    Maybe we can chat one of those days.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!