Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    $$$ COST FOR AN SVL (total working order )?
    Registered
    I see one is for sale ,However no price .( for "SERIOUS enquiries only )I can see why ,the " stupid " phone calls would never end .

I ask only because when oss reared its ugly head the svl,s went up for sale .
    That was 7 years ago . At that time , a good hull with outdrive and some little goodies went for $50,000. ( No motor ) No upgrades from " A " class .

So an svl boat with 496 was about $ 65,000
    With 525 about 87,000

These were phantom or extreme .

Now with Lavey , and Fountain on board ,I am sure it has changed .
    ( I know others have threatened to come onboard , as of yet not seen so leave that out )

What would it real;ly cost to get one of the SVL,s running race ready right now ?

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    From looking at race boats...
    You can see SV's owners are trying to get from 115k - 140k for there boats and are still for sale..
    You would think at 95k -100k might bring in some bits for a SV....but I'm sure Dean and others can chine in on the offers they are getting...
    But going into winter time..
    A single engine SVL that is 10+ years old might get some offers at 40k - 55k..
    That is if there would be a owner thats willing to sell it for that..
    I thought the Activator SVL was up for sale last year for around 35k - 40k...I think that was the most recent SVL sale....
    Boats are dirt cheap still....I think having a race boat is that much harder to sell with a roof on it...unless you can find a racer who wants it....
    Last edited by MANITIE; 10-11-2010 at 04:28 PM.
    2009 Activator/ Powered by ILMOR
    #540 Boat Responsibly Racing
    Presented by your U.S. Coast Guard

3. Collapse Details

Registered
    Gino How do they (old svl ,s) compare in price to the already race ready p-4,s ?

Also if they had a class in place ( CVL or whatever WITH RULES !!!!!!!! ) would that help retain their monitary value ?

4. Collapse Details

I guess it would depend on the year boat for P4...
    You know what Mike A. paid for his 38 Donzi...and thats a P4 boat ready to race and pleasure boat all in one...and that you can't beat...
    Also there was a couple of 38 Formula's and Donzi's out there with 525's that were 01's and 02's that were under 100k
    When you start talking 1994 - 1998 boats that are single engine race boats with lids..I would think you would need to find someone that wants to race only....(thats a limited market in any race boat with a lid) I had a lot of people interested in the Dragon but wanted me to cut the lid off it.
    And that's the next answer...if you have a good SVL class and great racing of course that will get some new teams that want to be part of that and will pay a higher price with no invintory out there but new for 130k - 160k...

But I forgot how great it is to have a boat I can race one weekend and then take out on the other weekends and just go boating with 5 people in it and have fun....
    Last edited by MANITIE; 10-11-2010 at 06:54 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Gino is pretty much spot on ,,,if you want to COMPETE in the current SVL ,,you need a brand new one,,,ie,,fountain ,,??baja??,,or even the new racerguymiami ,,,the orginal svl's ,,like the SV,s are now just class fillers,,, but you are right they are great p-4 's very safe and fast,,,,pricing ?? 50,000 to 70,000 i,m guessing,,, anything after that you might as well bite the bullit and build new ,,???
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    Gino is pretty much spot on ,,,if you want to COMPETE in the current SVL ,,you need a brand new one,,,ie,,fountain ,,??baja??,,or even the new racerguymiami ,,,the orginal svl's ,,like the SV,s are now just class fillers,,, but you are right they are great p-4 's very safe and fast,,,,pricing ?? 50,000 to 70,000 i,m guessing,,, anything after that you might as well bite the bullit and build new ,,???
    More like $25-45 for SVL and $50-70 for SV used to anyone who understands the market.

7. Collapse Details

Mike may be closer on the SVL because of the twin engine rule in C4. If I were in the market for a C4 boat it would be a twin egine boat like Simmons.

8. Collapse Details

New Fountain SVL more like 150k or more

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Slandrew View Post
    New Fountain SVL more like 150k or more
    Thats why I went from 130k to 160k...
    I don't know what Will would sell his for and I don't know what price tag Chris has on his yet....
    I would think if someone put 160k in front of Fountain..I would think as slow as times are there...you would get a SVL from them...

10. Collapse Details

Dean has it marked on in C4..
    With Simmons, Trents 38 Fastech and the 38 Donzi's are the best set up for class 4...the 500's and 525's in that class match them all up pretty good...and the reliability is great...basically F2 again...but by capping at the 85mph mark...it keeps them under control also...we seen what happens to a lot of these boats when they start hitting 90+...
    With there prices even as low as 85k...and you might be able to even find one for 75k to 80k...thats a deal...
    But at the same time...with a team on a budget if you can get yourself into a SVL for 40k+ and half the maintaince to take care of...that boat puts more race teams into that C4 class in this economy...
    The one thing spec class has become...is you need money to run in it...
    Testing is one thing ...if its just props and moving weight...
    But it has gotten way out of hand over the last 3 years...
    Most teams cannot afford a boat...racing ....3 or 4 props...and then have to spend another 10k - 20k and making hull changes..glass work..and so on...to compete with new tech...

11. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This thread is pretty accurate from everyone.

Odd, huh?????

I still think SVL can easily be fixed. The rules are mostly there, just need a little tweaking. Then some enforcement with a Tech Inspector. Then a referee. No big deal.

The question...

Does anyone really want too???????
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

12. Collapse Details

Registered
    Great question !

Once lid,s start coming off ,theres no turning back .Dont do it

13. Collapse Details

I suggested Trent put a lid on his Fountain like 3 years ago Glad to see he is doing good with the Formula, one of these days I'll make it to a race, seeing as his website say's I am his crew chief, guess I should make an effort to show up

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    This thread is pretty accurate from everyone.

Odd, huh?????

I still think SVL can easily be fixed. The rules are mostly there, just need a little tweaking. Then some enforcement with a Tech Inspector. Then a referee. No big deal.

The question...

Does anyone really want too???????
    I think you have the answer...but some may not like it...

Someone outside of the SVL races needs to be in charge of tech, rules and all enforcement...and the racers need to respect the orgs decision.
    You would think if OPA is going to take this project on in this spec class..and invest in tech inspectors, the money, rules etc. At least the SVL racers should have to committ to racing in OPA for a number of races..

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    I suggested Trent put a lid on his Fountain like 3 years ago Glad to see he is doing good with the Formula, one of these days I'll make it to a race, seeing as his website say's I am his crew chief, guess I should make an effort to show up
    And if you read the fine print on your contract it says...when Trent is racing with me..you also have to work on my boat....but I think Trents elbow may have been covering that part of the contract...

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MANITIE View Post
    And if you read the fine print on your contract it says...when Trent is racing with me..you also have to work on my boat....but I think Trents elbow may have been covering that part of the contract...
    Trent and I have an understanding, kinda the same deal I had with ScottyB years ago, when the race is in FL I am there, and if they need me somewhere else, arrangements can be made, but until wrenching on a raceboat becomes a profitable situation, I have my day job to attend to, I am kinda happy being somewhat retired from racing(my wife is even happier), but there were some good times had in the years past

17. Collapse Details

Registered
    And you were fun to be around .( MIKE )

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mdkeywest View Post
    And you were fun to be around .( MIKE )
    Do you remember that one night at Ricks..................

Shanes wife asked me the next morning how that Prostitute was, and I was kinda drunk, but I know I didnt leave with no prostitute, I remember talking to her, but then My driver called, and I went back to the condo alone......I swear

19. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    Do you remember that one night at Ricks..................

Shanes wife asked me the next morning how that Prostitute was, and I was kinda drunk, but I know I didnt leave with no prostitute, I remember talking to her, but then My driver called, and I went back to the condo alone......I swear

Yes I do LOL
    Last edited by mdkeywest; 10-13-2010 at 11:45 AM.

20. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Rick we going to see u in KW its been a while. If you common down look me up.