Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mdkeywest View Post
    OK so now that SVL as a class is pretty much over .

HOW MUCH can one be bought for ? ( motor drive ,all of it ? )
    Not the wildcard boat ,s price
    ,just a real number .
    First of all, SVL as a class is not pretty much over. It may change slightly, but I actually think there will be more boats in the category next year than this year. There are currently negotiations going on for some new teams and boats.

As for the ones for sale, I know of just about every one out there. If you are Serious, the range for a ready to race boat is currently between 50 and 60. Ask the racers to email or PM you if you are really interested. They will if they trust your disgression. I will not put the names and amounts out there, that is up to the owners if they so wish. You would also end up having that much into the ones which need work that are out there, there are also a couple of those. So, it depends on which way you wish to go.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MANITIE View Post
    Is anyone even looking to sell there's...
    Of course everything is for sale..but I mean..someone who wants out...
    I'm sure if one came up for 35 - 40k someone would be interested..
    But if someone is looking to sell one for 70k...it may be sitting for a while...
    Its a pure race boat..limited cliental..
    very true, but a safe raceboat nevertheless. One that is pretty much bullet proof. Compared to all the money and time some of you P class guys put into your motors. And still hope they dont blow up on ya. In the long run, a much better investment. I love my boat, it runs great, I feel safe and its alot of fun to drive. Its not the fastest, but still a blast to run.

Dont think anyone in their right mind would let one go for 35 - 40. Unless they had their bookie threatening to break their legs unless they pay up their debt.

Even though 70-75k is what most guys would love to get. Im sure 50-65 is more of a realistic number. Otherwise, just keep them and have as much fun with them as possible.

Keep in mind...SVL is not dead just yet. We need to regroup. And come up with a new game plan.

3. Collapse Details

I,ve never said anything close to that .

Pay attn or shut up !
    You are not worth paying attention to. See you in Key West which race are you in?

4. Collapse Details

Competitor
    he is racing in tues thur and sat races

5. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRacing View Post
    he is racing in tues thur and sat races
    sounds like a keyboard racer to me! from what im reading there will be some great races on tues,thurs and sat!

6. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SVL66 View Post
    very true, but a safe raceboat nevertheless. One that is pretty much bullet proof. Compared to all the money and time some of you P class guys put into your motors. And still hope they dont blow up on ya. In the long run, a much better investment. I love my boat, it runs great, I feel safe and its alot of fun to drive. Its not the fastest, but still a blast to run.

Dont think anyone in their right mind would let one go for 35 - 40. Unless they had their bookie threatening to break their legs unless they pay up their debt.

Even though 70-75k is what most guys would love to get. Im sure 50-65 is more of a realistic number. Otherwise, just keep them and have as much fun with them as possible.

Keep in mind...SVL is not dead just yet. We need to regroup. And come up with a new game plan.
    It will be interesting to what the next SVL, used one sells for...
    I guess I should have noted that it will also depend on engine hours...
    If there due for a refresh...thats another $8500..
    My figure was base on that you would want to refresh it and have the engine sealed...

I don't see the class dead....I thing if Smitty and John set down the rules...there will still be teams that will run in the class..
    2009 Activator/ Powered by ILMOR
    #540 Boat Responsibly Racing
    Presented by your U.S. Coast Guard

7. Collapse Details

Competitor
    I think u might see 4-5 in KW

8. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    in key west ,,my guess ,,Pirate ,,time bandit,,typhoon,,fountain,,,Miklos,,and maybe Mark ,,( activator )
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

9. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by extras View Post
    You are not worth paying attention to. See you in Key West which race are you in?
    that hurt my feelings . I want to go to K W you got any money to help me .
    I have a back pack , i can hitch hike , i just need sandwich money ,you seem nice will you help me?

10. Collapse Details

I see one is for sale ,However no price .( for "SERIOUS enquiries only )I can see why ,the " stupid " phone calls would never end .

I ask only because when oss reared its ugly head the svl,s went up for sale .
    That was 7 years ago . At that time , a good hull with outdrive and some little goodies went for $50,000. ( No motor ) No upgrades from " A " class .

So an svl boat with 496 was about $ 65,000
    With 525 about 87,000

These were phantom or extreme .

Now with Lavey , and Fountain on board ,I am sure it has changed .
    ( I know others have threatened to come onboard , as of yet not seen so leave that out )

What would it real;ly cost to get one of the SVL,s running race ready right now ?
    Alot!

You should of had the Typhoon team pick you up on the way and cart you to KW on the donated monies. I'm sure in their 'We Just gotta Race in Key West' expense breakdown/plea for cash they could of included a 'Shot gun rider to the hauler guy' in there.

I would of gladly donated to you KW vacation but I gave 50 bucks to a homeless guy with no legs in a wheelchair on the side of the road today. Sorry bud, but you know, priorities first.

11. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerguymiami View Post
    Alot!

You should of had the Typhoon team pick you up on the way and cart you to KW on the donated monies. I'm sure in their 'We Just gotta Race in Key West' expense breakdown/plea for cash they could of included a 'Shot gun rider to the hauler guy' in there.

I would of gladly donated to you KW vacation but I gave 50 bucks to a homeless guy with no legs in a wheelchair on the side of the road today. Sorry bud, but you know, priorities first.
    Pretty funny....

We get to see you Thursday evening?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

12. Collapse Details

Racerguy,you could only wish you had the fan club that Typhoon has.Cause you sure are'nt making any on here.Good luck selling those dream boats you are supposedly building.You must have missed the class on Public Relations.

13. Collapse Details

Here's another question:
    Does Phantom and Extreme still make these boats that are 10-15 yrs old and can/could they improve there mold designs based off of what the "racers" have done to the current boats out their?

With the new technology and some tweaks in the molds would a "NEW" Phantom or Extreme be competitive with the beak boat??

Then wouldn't it be worth buying a "NEW" SVL boat to race?

14. Collapse Details

Just a fan thinig out loud!!!!!

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by heater63 View Post
    Racerguy,you could only wish you had the fan club that Typhoon has.Cause you sure are'nt making any on here.Good luck selling those dream boats you are supposedly building.You must have missed the class on Public Relations.
    I took Racerguy's post as a jab at mdkeywest, not Randy.
    I'd rather be on the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with my boat on the rocks.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 4FX View Post
    Here's another question:
    Does Phantom and Extreme still make these boats that are 10-15 yrs old and can/could they improve there mold designs based off of what the "racers" have done to the current boats out their?

With the new technology and some tweaks in the molds would a "NEW" Phantom or Extreme be competitive with the beak boat??

Then wouldn't it be worth buying a "NEW" SVL boat to race?
    yes they do ,,still build them ,,factory boats come out at or about 90/91
    some racers have got them up to 94 ish
    no they will never be able to keep up with NEW tech ,,THE new hulls are multi step and run on a completely different theory.

right now their are 3 multi step boats available ,Fountain ,Outerlimits,Racerguy ,currently only one is racing ( key word,, currently)

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    no they will never be able to keep up with NEW tech ,,THE new hulls are multi step and run on a completely different theory.

right now their are 3 multi step boats available ,Fountain ,Outerlimits,Racerguy ,currently only one is racing ( key word,, currently)
    I have seen racerguys, hull(at least the plug), and the bottom looks amazing. I know nothing about bottom design, but it looks nice

18. Collapse Details

yea I want to go down and see it too,

19. Collapse Details

Ok, for those that want to know. About four years ago I decided to build a new sport hull, two seater open cockpit boat, 30 feet. This is after building several v hull boats in the 21-23 foot range racing in the islands with 2.5 litre Mercs. The hull and deck lines were designed and then it was time to tweak the hull running surface design. In order to avoid the costs of building molds and hoping they ran according to the design theory, I had a few of the Miami sport center console builders (same 30 foot size range) come on line. They allowed me to use their existing molds and modify them using inserts based on the design I had. This was a great test bed as these boats were being popped out, rigged, tested and sold almost immediately after production in large numbers. Also, I was being paid to make these changes. This allowed me to tweak the design on each boat by modifying the inserts until a massive improvement in handling and speed was achieved.

The hull/deck plug and mold for my boat was then built. First out was a lightweight (4600 LBS) open cockpit version (pre sold). We tested this boat with a high hour 525 with great results. Never satisfied I made a few more changes to the bottom which yeilded even better results. Owner wanted it enclosed so a lid was designed and installed with safety being the utmost factor. Removing the open cockpit section and adding additional bulkheads, deflectors, lid and equipment added another 275 LBS to the boat so the complete boat now weighs in at 4875 LBS. The boat seemed to like the aerodynamics of the lid as it picked up an additional 1.5 MPH even with the added weight. The handling also improved due to the increased weight.

I had a discussion with one of the orgs regarding changes to the original boat, where #2 and #3 may run on a different bottom. I was immediately reminded of Fountain and how he did this with his suer V's and was detrimental to the class.

So now, to avoid any discrepencies with the orgs and competitors regarding modified decks and hulls, a new mold is near completion to include the changes to the original boat. Once complete a new boat will be built. At that time all are invited to visit, view and test run if you like. This is Florida so a nice January test run is more than do-able.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post

One of those can be ready for next season if someone wants one!! If anyone want to compete and beat the Fountain you know where to go.