Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I asked a question one page ago and cannot get an answer, which was, who do I speak to in SVL to homologate a new boat. I can't even begin to understand the manner of the response. With that said, I do think I can understand Docs position with some of the racers. I hope you all are writing a conduct code in your rules, both on and off the racecourse. The level of sportsmanship in SVL, at least those discussing the class on this forum, is near non-existest.

I was asked in an earlier post whether I was coming to race or for trophies. I thought I was coming to compete against professional boat racers. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Gino, I'm going to have the boat inspected real soon here by SBI and hopefully will be allowed to race the worlds. I also plan on joining OPA and pull the boat to Orange Beach for inspection only.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Racerguymiami View Post
    I asked a question one page ago and cannot get an answer, which was, who do I speak to in SVL to homologate a new boat. I can't even begin to understand the manner of the response. With that said, I do think I can understand Docs position with some of the racers. I hope you all are writing a conduct code in your rules, both on and off the racecourse. The level of sportsmanship in SVL, at least those discussing the class on this forum, is near non-existest.

I was asked in an earlier post whether I was coming to race or for trophies. I thought I was coming to compete against professional boat racers. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Gino, I'm going to have the boat inspected real soon here by SBI and hopefully will be allowed to race the worlds. I also plan on joining OPA and pull the boat to Orange Beach for inspection only.
    Great news. Could you post pics of your build? It is always very interesting to see how these things are built.

3. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar

racer guy in post 29 you asked the question,,in post 41 framk answered ,,in post 44 you thanked him,,, but here ya go,,

race guy if your talking about me ,,i.m sorry ,,but i can not speek for svl any more ,,you would need to talk to the org.s tech officals ,,in oss it,s mike tomelson ,,and in sbi ,,i don,t know the new gentelmen name so i would call mr. John and ask him,,, good luck ,,you MIGHT have an issue with oss if you have an inline canopy ,,maybe ?? but ask anyway,,
    Last edited by imco offshore; 10-05-2010 at 08:43 PM.
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

4. Collapse Details

So how fast does that SVL Fountain run? Or how fast is it capable of?

5. Collapse Details

wahoo said in st clair in july they ran along side them at 103 ,,,i have to think it,s faster now after 3 months of r & d..

6. Collapse Details

Registered
    Last edited by mdkeywest; 10-05-2010 at 10:36 PM.

7. Collapse Details

George, no. Not you at all. I just didn't get the call Doc/bring cash response from Dunbar.

I've spoken to SBI and OPA regarding my new boat and the Fountain. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the Fountain in either org and I don't foresee any problems with mine at tech. My question is when and if I come to race with your group is there someone in that group who will need to tech/inspect my boat to deem it legal or illegal?

8. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar

Great to here your getting all the tech and inspections out of the way...
    I'm looking forward to seeing the boat...I know all the time you have put in to it...I would expect nothing less then a bad a$$ boat that you hae built...
    See ya soon
    2009 Activator/ Powered by ILMOR
    #540 Boat Responsibly Racing
    Presented by your U.S. Coast Guard

9. Collapse Details

we raced with the fountain sunday and it is one bad a$$ machine.its bottom is shaved closer than my face and it handles awesome...you guys are just gonna out drive them,because it is one nice machine.somebody get some cash together and let will the phantom smith build you a fountain killer!!!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by detail toyz View Post
    So how fast does that SVL Fountain run? Or how fast is it capable of?
    100+

11. Collapse Details

Fountian Killer Thats funny

12. Collapse Details

George, no. Not you at all. I just didn't get the call Doc/bring cash response from Dunbar.

I've spoken to SBI and OPA regarding my new boat and the Fountain. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the Fountain in either org and I don't foresee any problems with mine at tech. My question is when and if I come to race with your group is there someone in that group who will need to tech/inspect my boat to deem it legal or illegal?
    to answer ,NO the org,s have a tech inspector and know the rules of the class ,,as well a big part of the insoection is SAFETY,,,
    I know oss has a safety issue with inline canopys ,,,they might now have a new stand ,,being boats are getting harder to come by ,,good luck,,if i can help please feel free to call ,,

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
    WTF? Who cares? Are you crying about something me and my staff did to you 10 years ago? If so, get in line.
    Now that's funny.......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

14. Collapse Details

Goodbye SVL. The last of the APBA LLC spec classes. Took 10 years to kill it. Not too bad.

Any predictions on how many SVL's in OB and KW?

I will start: 4-5; 1-2.

15. Collapse Details

Registered
    Goodbye SVL. The last of the APBA LLC spec classes. Took 10 years to kill it. Not too bad.

That was my favorite class ( next to supercat ) We need a 21 gun salute .

One good thing Mike , OSS can not do any more harm .

16. Collapse Details

I thought a lot of the SVL guys were going to KW....
    So what if you have to race against the Fountain..thats 1 boat...
    What about the other 9 SVL's...you still do not want to race each other...
    Mike in F1 in 2002 there were 4 F1 Fountains that ran in Key West..
    and all 4 of us knew we did not have a chance of winning or even placing..we were all luckey if we finished in 10th...and that would be a good finish in that boat...but we still all showed and raced...which was one of the reason you had 20+ F1 boats at a race..
    When there were 23 - 25 F2 boats...there were plenty of boats that could not compete with some of the best....even when they knew there boats could not compete with some of the faster F2's...but they still raced...its how you had the 20+ boats class's...
    It would be great to have 20 boats all capible of winning and running with 1 mph or 2 of each other...but that was never the case...
    Yes...parity is great...but if the other 9 SVL's are all running the same speed why not go out and race each other...
    Last edited by MANITIE; 10-06-2010 at 06:40 PM.

17. Collapse Details

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MANITIE View Post
    I thought a lot of the SVL guys were going to KW....
    So what if you have to race against the Fountain..thats 1 boat...
    What about the other 9 SVL's...you still do not want to race each other...
    Mike in F1 in 2002 there were 4 F1 Fountains that ran in Key West..
    and all 4 of us knew we did not have a chance of winning or even placing..we were all luckey if we finished in 10th...and that would be a good finish in that boat...but we still all showed and raced...which was one of the reason you had 20+ F1 boats at a race..
    When there were 23 - 25 F2 boats...there were plenty of boats that could not compete with some of the best....even when they knew there boats could not compete with some of the faster F2's...but they still raced...its how you had the 20+ boats class's...
    It would be great to have 20 boats all capible of winning and running with 1 mph or 2 of each other...but that was never the case...
    Yes...parity is great...but if the other 9 SVL's are all running the same speed why not go out and race each other...
    Gino,

I do not remember the F1 Fountains ever dominating the class. Benny had some good runs in calm water and so did Tom Etheridge, but there were several other Fountain teams that did not run well, and many manufacturers won races and believed they had a legitimate chance to win every time out. Same thing with F2.

Our rules were strictly enforced back then too which is not really the case now. And, we had TV programs on two major networks. As you also know, when a boat started dominating a particular class back then we slowed the boat down to give others a chance to win, so there were some additional incentives to keep racing that do not exist anymore. And the economy was much better back then too.

Today, no SVL has a chance to win against the Fountain unless it breaks.

There may very well be a few teams who race OB for the thrill of finishing first against the also rans, or just to have fun. And there may be a few who go that are delusional, thinking they can still win. After they get lapped and destroyed though, it would be hard for me to imagine most of them spending another $5000+, and taking another week off work to do that again in KW.

All I'm sayin'. Hopefully I am wrong.

19. Collapse Details

I understand....I was just thinking....if your going to promote your class what ever it may be next year...I would think the last big race of the year would be a good place to show what the class has in store for next year...and maybe picks some racers minds about joining in....

Tammy said they did a cool write up in the paper on you last week about the Clearwater race..
    Its funny..while sitting around before the awards in Solomon....a couple of guys asked me...If Offshore will ever get back to the LLC days?

20. Collapse Details

call me weird, but I would think that winning every race easily would get boring quickly... the best memories I have of desert racing were battling somebody else, trying to catch somebody or trying not to let somebody pass me.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership