Thread: New truck...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Mike, If you buy an automatic, put a torque convertor in it like mine. then you don't have to worry about the other issues a weak one creates. I'm not getting into this battle of the brands, 500hp and 840tq ft is enough for me.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Medicine View Post
    Heres my take since I have worked for both GM and Ford, I would also like to here little D's opinion as well since he is in service as well.

Plain and simple I am glad that I work for GM for one reason, I make alot more money. GM vehicles as a hole have alot more problems than what I saw at the Ford dealership. GM knows they have issues with all there chrome or polished truck rims yet they don't want to cover under factory warranty. GM part prices are alot MORE expensive!!!

Yes GM trucks ride smoother than a Ford of the equal style, size, model, but we are talking about trucks here right, not family sedans. The 6.0 liter Ford has a bad rap, yes it does we can't dedate that, but its main problem is misdiagnosis. Most people think the head gaskets are a problem when actually the egr coolers leaking are the most common suspect. Mine has been pretty trouble free for 90 k miles, have I put some money into it yes, but that is too be expected. The 6.4 litre fords do suffer from not so great mileage, but then again it depends on who you talk to. I have found most people LIE on the mileage when it comes to diesel trucks, my 99 7.3 would barely do 15 on the highway. GM diesels are hard on injectors, and injectors are EXPENSIVE to replace there $378 a piece plus about 14 hours in labor.

Joe said it best when buying a diesel its best to have on with a 100K powertrain warranty, buy the extended warranty if possible and find a dealership with a GOOD diesel tech.

My .02
    Good post Andy. They all have their issues thats for sure.

Havent heard the new Ford Diesel, but my buddy just picked up a 2010 dodge with the cummins and a 6 spd manual. Idling, it sounds like a gas motor. Very quiet. Wayyy quieter than my 6.0 ford was, and the 7.3......great motor, but sounds like a school bus coming down the street! Loud diesels suck in the winter when you wanna let them warm up at high idle at 4am when leaving for work. Neighbors dont likey.

Sell your truck outright mike. You will get good money for it.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    Yeah and don't be a cheap bastard(not saying you are)...have it fully detailed(under the hood and the cab)..undercoat spray where you can to touch it up..etc. $150 detail..might save you someone trying to knock you down $500-$1000

Pet Peev of mine is I hate when people try and sell something and it looks like $hit while they're doing it...then bitch about not getting the price they wanted/thought they would...when its spotless under the hood, in the cab and all around the purchase goes quicker cuz there is less doubt......thats my .02

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by redhotsommer View Post
    Mom told me never to take advice from a man dressed as a nun.

As of now, I think I've just got to drive them all. Like you guys have said, they've all got something negative. My biggest criteria will be that it runs well, tows well, and is red . Definately got to get a four-door this time, though...the back seat on my 350 is murder!

I probably will stay SRW, though, as I will be driving it more than just towing the boat or the sleds.
    From one nun to another......... I had a Ford 7.3 and loved it, then I opted for the 6.0 with more power, and inevitably more problems. What u want is the same thing I did ( in most cases. An awesome tow rig,Boats, beer and sunshine. With hot chicks!!) Power,dependablity, and flat out straight "Pimpin". That's how the F 650 came in to play, Cat. Diesel good for 4-500,000 miles. Allison tranny also a bad mo-fo,(In a good way). Sure its one big bitch, but its cool.

My .02 also.
    Good talk!!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Kool-Aid Man View Post
    and bye the way you know you ALL miss Purple Rain!!! LOL

6. Collapse Details

Yeah Eric, but I don't need a truck that's bigger than my boat!

BBobb, you should put up a pic of Purple Rain in its purple glory...not in the cool-ass paint Miller put on it!

7. Collapse Details

Good post Andy. They all have their issues thats for sure.

Havent heard the new Ford Diesel, but my buddy just picked up a 2010 dodge with the cummins and a 6 spd manual. Idling, it sounds like a gas motor. Very quiet. Wayyy quieter than my 6.0 ford was, and the 7.3......great motor, but sounds like a school bus coming down the street! Loud diesels suck in the winter when you wanna let them warm up at high idle at 4am when leaving for work. Neighbors dont likey.

The 2011 Ford trucks are the best Super Duty yet, If I felt like dropping big
    coin I would be all over one. 17 city 20 highway!!!!!

8. Collapse Details

How youz like this??? 2010 1500 Silverado just came in the shop has 6k on it with a noisey lifter, 5.3 litre v8. GM has a bulletin on it around, looks like new lifters on both side of the motor. Nice little warranty job!

Hows that for quality!!!!! You GM guys for be thankful for the 100k powertrain warranty

9. Collapse Details

just for you mikey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Truck 001.jpg  

10. Collapse Details

now only if my current truck ran properly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2004 F350.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

The 2011 Ford trucks are the best Super Duty yet, If I felt like dropping big
    coin I would be all over one. 17 city 20 highway!!!!!
    I take it they are running good? No problems? Ford wins in the interior department imo.

One feature i really would want, is the exhaust brake. Dodge is the only one i know offering it from factory. I have a exhaust brake in my big rig, and its the cats a$$. Lots more life from the brakes, no warping rotors, etc. Combine that would a good tow/haul mode downshifting, your stopping that rig in a hurry. Plus Mike can put a big ole stinkin 6" straight exhaust and engage the jake brake for that bwaapbwaapbwaapbwaap sound when coming to a stoplight with the Fontane. It would compliment his CB radio well.

12. Collapse Details

just for you mikey
    THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout! "Puuuuurple rain, Puurple rain...."

13. Collapse Details

Nice dubs dude.

Mike, i can cut you a sweet deal on mine. Its loaded to the max! It has Cruise, a/c, power windows AND locks. 454 and 3spd automatic! It gets 8mpg empty, and 8mpg towing, and 8mpg parked. Of course the deluxe captains chairs come with, suitable for a captain like you. Plus its RED. I am currently removing pinstriping, and running boards coming off. Adding some ebay Fountain powerboats decals on the back window.

You can restore it from the ground up with one trip to autozone. lol, its a good old truck, but god DAMM, that sob rides like a yamaha sled over bumps. You'll need spinal surgery after a few sets of railroad tracks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fountain 033.jpg   IMG00087-20100513-1323.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

Well get it down here buddy boy, the those tightly wrapped fingers off your wallet would ya????

15. Collapse Details

I take it they are running good? No problems? Ford wins in the interior department imo.

One feature i really would want, is the exhaust brake. Dodge is the only one i know offering it from factory. I have a exhaust brake in my big rig, and its the cats a$$. Lots more life from the brakes, no warping rotors, etc. Combine that would a good tow/haul mode downshifting, your stopping that rig in a hurry. Plus Mike can put a big ole stinkin 6" straight exhaust and engage the jake brake for that bwaapbwaapbwaapbwaap sound when coming to a stoplight with the Fontane. It would compliment his CB radio well.
    No problems that I have heard of, I am pretty sure the new Super Dutys have some sort of exhaust brake. They left no stone unturned on that truck!!!

16. Collapse Details

Nice dubs dude.

Mike, i can cut you a sweet deal on mine. Its loaded to the max! It has Cruise, a/c, power windows AND locks. 454 and 3spd automatic! It gets 8mpg empty, and 8mpg towing, and 8mpg parked. Of course the deluxe captains chairs come with, suitable for a captain like you. Plus its RED. I am currently removing pinstriping, and running boards coming off. Adding some ebay Fountain powerboats decals on the back window.

You can restore it from the ground up with one trip to autozone. lol, its a good old truck, but god DAMM, that sob rides like a yamaha sled over bumps. You'll need spinal surgery after a few sets of railroad tracks.
    what the heck do you know about how a yamaha ride???? Last I remember you putting rotella t in your sled

17. Collapse Details

what the heck do you know about how a yamaha ride???? Last I remember you putting rotella t in your sled
    Rotella is good stuff! Like seafoam!

Actually, it was a secret trick i learned. Diesel oil is high detergent. Wanted to clean out my oil injection and combustion chambers! Thats the kind of stuff we do over at "Wild Boys Racing". Along with keeping our bilges properly lubricated and using adjustable wrenches and channel locks on EVERYTHING!

18. Collapse Details

Rotella is good stuff! Like seafoam!
    That was a hell of a deal for sea foam

19. Collapse Details

at least its got nice hoops now !!!!!

20. Collapse Details

They all have issues.. what you need is a Ford with a Cummins and Allison trans.
    Best of all worlds

http://www.fordcummins.com/