Thread: New truck...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

2. Collapse Details

I just puked in my mouth... Dodge trannies and rear ends suck. I have had two. 3 trannies and 2 rear ends. Go GM... you will be 100% happy.. I promise!

No offense JOE...

3. Collapse Details

Man it's a Dodge beatin crowd. I was the same lookin 1 1/2 years ago and could not afford new then. I've put 40k on an 06 3500 SINGLE rear real 3500 Mega cab Dodge Auto bought at 87k all stock. I've kept it stock too.
    I picked Dodge b/c Ford=stay away from the 6.0's-you might get a good one, but if you get one blowing head gaskets forget it. Ford taked the freekin cab off to fix the motor. Dodge-yup trans is weak link but not if left stock. Or put about $3k into a auto trans and your good. GM-still only 12500 tow even with dually and I needed ove r13k, which my Dodge is factory rated to tow 13200 with the 373 rear end.
    I decided between Ford & Dodge I'd update a trans if needed, but sure as he*(& was not tearing a motor apart to change head gaskets. And the dodge 5.9 24V motor is awesome.
    Then absolutely you want 06 or older to stay out of the crappy DPF setups on all newer than 06-until the big 3 latest 2010's+. DPF flat sucks MPG-expect 12-13-14 with one. Mine gets 17 average, 15 city all stock still 373's. And I change the trans fluid every 15k no problems yet. Plus for my family the Megacab is flat awesome-much more room than ford with the seat folding flat plus the built in tool box.
    And IF a daily driver a dually is a bi&^%. Most drive thru's at banks or whatever are 8'-6 and your dually is that exact or more. I looked for 8 months to find a 3500 SRW Auto Mega 4x4 leather roof dvd etc. as it is my daily driver, and I could not be happier. Sure a Dually tows better I won't contest, but for every freekin day and towing only 30+ days a year I had to get SRW.
    I have read recently (In Diesel Power or alike)that the big 3 2010's all have Rev 2 DPF that picked milage back up to 17-20 depending, but I doubt you'd fine one in the 30's.
    All 3 are good trucks, but I had specific criteria and a budget and the Dodge fit, and I have had great luck with mine, finding an all stock one not beat. It tows my 36 very nicely.
    Drive them all & see. & read the various forums a bit too checking on reliabliity. I am now hearing Chevy's are blowing turbo's on some(which are behind the block above the trans-change that easlily), but the Allison trans is nice. They all have their weak links.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by teamsynergy View Post
    I just puked in my mouth... Dodge trannies and rear ends suck. I have had two. 3 trannies and 2 rear ends. Go GM... you will be 100% happy.. I promise!

No offense JOE...
    None taken!

didn't dodge use Dana rear ends in their one ton trucks? I know back in the day, Ford, Chevy, and dodge used Dana axles. which were stout. my 1989 has a dana70 hd rear.

I like a inline 6 for a diesel like the cummins. with the mileage, cost to buy, cost to maintain, a gasser like obnoxus has is a good rig! big block and Allison trans in a dually. nowadays the gasser trucks seem more reliable.

I wanna tow my boat with obnoxus truck.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Nevr2nd View Post
    Mike,
    FORD F 650, CAT. DIESEL, Allison tranny. Crew cab.= bad-ass tow rig!!
    I should know............ I have one, lol.
    Ding Ding Ding.....We have a winner and I want one BAD.

6. Collapse Details

signing off now... you guys are definetly smokin' somthin' lol...

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Nevr2nd View Post
    Mike,
    FORD F 650, CAT. DIESEL, Allison tranny. Crew cab.= bad-ass tow rig!!
    I should know............ I have one, lol.
    Mom told me never to take advice from a man dressed as a nun.

As of now, I think I've just got to drive them all. Like you guys have said, they've all got something negative. My biggest criteria will be that it runs well, tows well, and is red . Definately got to get a four-door this time, though...the back seat on my 350 is murder!

I probably will stay SRW, though, as I will be driving it more than just towing the boat or the sleds.

8. Collapse Details

Mike, heres my offering to you... come down to south bend... pick up my 10' chevy loaded (minus leather) crew diesel 4x4 and trade me the vette for a week. This way you can pull your boat around, drive it around the city, ect... I think thats fair...

9. Collapse Details

Mike, heres my offering to you... come down to south bend... pick up my 10' chevy loaded (minus leather) crew diesel 4x4 and trade me the vette for a week. This way you can pull your boat around, drive it around the city, ect... I think thats fair...
    Which Vette? If it's the C5, you'll have to deal with Michelle!

10. Collapse Details

I see who the boss is now...

11. Collapse Details

Get in them all...drive them.... but the bad thing is... towing. You wont know how they tow until you buy. Obviously the dealer wont let you strap the boat on the back to pull it around for a bit. Mine gets decent mileage if I can keep my foot out of it. I am pushing 16's pulling the sonic and low to mid 20's unloaded on the hwy. Not bad for a big pig with DPF. Now once the REGEN kicks in, my mileage goes way down... but, thats to be expected...

12. Collapse Details

Hey she has her car and I have mine! I just have to clean them both!

Please inform the ignorant, here...what is this DPF you all speak of?

13. Collapse Details

I see who the boss is now...
    I dont think that was ever in question !!!!

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    I wanna tow my boat with obnoxus truck.
    Its in the warehouse with the keys in it,,,,, enjoy !!!!!!

I do that Cuz Mike's Ford generally only gets his boat one way,,,, so now he has a back up to get home !!!!

All kidding aside though Mike,,,, clean your truck up and I bet you it still draws very good money,,,,, there is a freaky cult following to the old 7.3's
    Last edited by OBNOXUS; 09-30-2010 at 07:54 AM.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by redhotsommer View Post
    Please inform the ignorant, here...what is this DPF you all speak of?
    Diesel particulate filter.

All the issues with the newer diesels ,,,, along with the not so great mph anymore,,,, are the reason I went with the big block.

And now after pulling with a 6.0 diesel detuned by Fords bulletin and my 8.1,,,,, I will say mine has more power.

and coming back from LOTO last year,,,, LiL D had Joeys 6.4 diesel, I had mine. We both topped off and left together drove 200 miles following eachother and when we stopped for gas,,,, he had only used 3 gallons less then me !!!!!!

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OBNOXUS View Post
    Its in the warehouse with the keys in it,,,,, enjoy !!!!!!

I do that Cuz Mike's Ford generally only gets his boat one way,,,, so now he has a back up to get home !!!!

All kidding aside though Mike,,,, clean your truck up and I bet you it still draws very good money,,,,, there is a freaky cult following to the old 7.3's
    Yep a cult following on the 7.3's for sure. Probably the same cult hillbillies that would wana put a used 7.3 in a 2011.

17. Collapse Details

Heres my take since I have worked for both GM and Ford, I would also like to here little D's opinion as well since he is in service as well.

Plain and simple I am glad that I work for GM for one reason, I make alot more money. GM vehicles as a hole have alot more problems than what I saw at the Ford dealership. GM knows they have issues with all there chrome or polished truck rims yet they don't want to cover under factory warranty. GM part prices are alot MORE expensive!!!

Yes GM trucks ride smoother than a Ford of the equal style, size, model, but we are talking about trucks here right, not family sedans. The 6.0 liter Ford has a bad rap, yes it does we can't dedate that, but its main problem is misdiagnosis. Most people think the head gaskets are a problem when actually the egr coolers leaking are the most common suspect. Mine has been pretty trouble free for 90 k miles, have I put some money into it yes, but that is too be expected. The 6.4 litre fords do suffer from not so great mileage, but then again it depends on who you talk to. I have found most people LIE on the mileage when it comes to diesel trucks, my 99 7.3 would barely do 15 on the highway. GM diesels are hard on injectors, and injectors are EXPENSIVE to replace there $378 a piece plus about 14 hours in labor.

Joe said it best when buying a diesel its best to have on with a 100K powertrain warranty, buy the extended warranty if possible and find a dealership with a GOOD diesel tech.

My .02

18. Collapse Details

Mike Come Grab my Truck I am Not useing it It just Sits Try it out you know what it has its the big Gasser! " I'm Not Paying Any Speeders You Get With It !" that's why I bought the Jeep to keep my Azz working.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OBNOXUS View Post
    Hell yeah there is if I sold "Purple Rain" for almost what i bought it for

20. Collapse Details

and bye the way you know you ALL miss Purple Rain!!! LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F350 Dually 2.jpg