1. Collapse Details
    47 Fountain Notes and ?
    Went for a ride in a 47 with trip 525SC's yesterday. What a sweet boat! Water was pretty flat (1 to 2's, swells) but still, you could tell how solid this thing was. I'd love to go out in big water with it.

It is a HUGE boat! (I have a 30 footer) with a long nose. When we were docking the owner was going to drive in and I said he should back in. He was a little hesitant as it was a bit windy and I kept telling him to just use his sticks. He was having trouble so I offered to try it. So I jump in the drivers seat all cocky, starboard stick forward, port back. Nothing! WTF? The boat wasn't moving. I figured maybe the steering wheel wasn't straight so I straightened it out and same thing. I gave it a little gas but it didn't help much. Finally we just drove it in.

So I'm thinking there is just too much hull length to twin stick it? That with the wind blowing it around. Also, with triples I was thinking props may be smaller than with twins so less reaction?

Another question: outboard drives are spinning in (I'm assuming to give it stern lift?) and center prop spins clockwise. Does it make any difference which way the center prop spins?

Thanks

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Fresh View Post
    .......I kept telling him to just use his sticks. He was having trouble so I offered to try it. So I jump in the drivers seat all cocky, starboard stick forward, port back. Nothing! WTF? ......
    Thanks
    17 feet makes a difference (assuming your 30 has twins) .... Without a bow thruster those things won't spin in any kind of side wind more than a knot or two - just too much surface (sail) area working against ya....

I've run a couple of 45 footers with and without a bow thruster - I will NEVER have anything like that again WITHOUT one ... makes it SO much easier and safer....

3. Collapse Details

Thanks for sharing, good info to know, I always wondered how the big ones with triples handle at the dock. Would like to hear from others who actually own a 47 what their approach is?

4. Collapse Details

I had a triple engine Outerlimits and would use outside engines to counter act the wind, then use the center engine to move forward or backwards
    Run until it sounds expensive

5. Collapse Details
    2 sticking a 47' lighting w/ triples
    Hello all

I own a 47' Fountain Lightning and you can 2 stick mine but it does take a long time to react. I have found in some cases it took 20 sec before that boat started to spin with the starboard stick foward and port in reverse. I have also found that turning the helm slightly in the direction you want to spin helps a little but you can't over turn. I only use the throttle on the reverse motor because the prop is mainly designed for forward proplletion. But I also use the center motor for forward and backwards as well. It's kind of like backing up a 47' while she is on her 3 axel trailer the longer the trailer the more track it needs to swing into postion rather than a shorter single or double axel trailer. So in all if you want to 2 stick a 47 triple make sure you plan early on all arrivials.

P.S. Notice the intense look on my face when spinning that pig around, Then the relaxed look after she's nice and lined up for the dock!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4586.jpg   IMG_4591.jpg   IMG_4597.jpg  

Last edited by Leonard; 11-22-2010 at 12:21 AM.

6. Collapse Details

That boat looks long and sexy. Nice ride!