Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Seriously, I know of allot of teams that would race for trophy's & pride if they knew in advance.

Some guys just like to race.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    Thinking out loud. Other than the fact that it was advertised, why do boat racers assume a purse should be paid? The reason I say this is that there many other powersports with much better turnout, profitability, notarity and coverage that only payout trophies. I race motocross with my son and 500 riders show up. The winners are paid in trophies. Not saying I don't want to get paid for running my boat, but would you race for only trophies?
    Great question Dean

If a purse is announced, and paid by the promoter, it should be paid....PERIOD

Im sure many, if not most, are happy and thankful, to have a platform in which to compete. However, when a purse is announced in a effort to attract more teams, it's only fit to pay what is promised. In this particular case, if there was no tow money or the possibility of additional winnings, the boat count would most likely have been less. Its a tough time for teams with jobs or businesses to run, to be away for almost a week.

One more thing and Im done. As a business owner, I charge my customer a particular fee for services rendered. The job is complete and for some unknown reason, I didnt make as much as I thought I would. Can I ask my customer for more money? Can I tell my employees Im paying them less? I wouldn't think so. I have to bite the bullet. Why should this be any different? Some may dispute this, but the racers are performers in a show. If they performed, Why shouldn't they be compensated in a timely manner? 2 weeks ok... 3 weeks ok. But 2 months? A phone call or email with an explantion to those teams would have been nice.

3. Collapse Details

It turns out that BP has given two million dollars to the State of Alabama for them to bring in events that will help the Gulf Coast to recuperate economically from the worst environmental disaster in known history. Thunder on the Gulf is slated to receive a portion of these funds, enough to put on a World Championship Race with two days of racing in front of a very appreciative crowd, hungry to see Offshore Racing return to the Gulf Shores. ----- PRIZE PURSE IS $50,000!!!!
    Just asking. Did the state and/or the promoters receive this money in a timely manner? Consider where it was coming from.

4. Collapse Details

Good points Bruce but as a former promoter and OPA member I think that we have to consider that unlike SBI or OSS, the OPA has at least 3 sites that are put on by OPA members for the good of the racers first and then their cities. Some of these sites may come up short and funds from other sites helps out. We all have done this long enough to know it isn't perfect and something tells me Smitty isn't getting rich from putting on races. Purse or no purse our boats are worthless without race sites.

5. Collapse Details

At least when you do get your check its good.
    Back in 1999 when ed smith and i raced in muskegon we were told to cash the check asap because it might bounce ours dident but a lot did.
    The moral here is it could be worse.

6. Collapse Details

Just to put this to bed. The purse was slated at 50K. Along with other funds to run the event, we had recieved 45000.00 towards the purse. Reason why I never looked for the balance was the contract also had a performance clause where we had to supply at least 35 boats. For every boat less than 35 we gave back 1000 dollars. Since we fell short, we would have had to refund them money anyway. The purse ended up right where it should have been. If more teams had gone, different story. If you all think you can do a better job, have at it.
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing View Post
    Just to put this to bed. The purse was slated at 50K. Along with other funds to run the event, we had recieved 45000.00 towards the purse. Reason why I never looked for the balance was the contract also had a performance clause where we had to supply at least 35 boats. For every boat less than 35 we gave back 1000 dollars. Since we fell short, we would have had to refund them money anyway. The purse ended up right where it should have been. If more teams had gone, different story. If you all think you can do a better job, have at it.
    Smitty....I'de like to repond and then I'm done too.

This has nothing at all to do with whether or not we think your doin a good job. Personally, I think your doin a good job. And no one is claiming they could do it better. Funny...I remember Kurt saying the same thing before he dropped it in your lap. Anyway, could it be better? Yes. Absolutely. Had we of known that you had a performance clause, more teams would probably have tried to make it to support your cause. Additionally, we should have been told up front that the 50k purse is contingent upon a minimum boat count. Further, in an effort to avoid this in the future, I think it would be a good idea to announce the purse for every race and how it would be paid out, so there is no confusion or controversy.

I remember an email you sent me earlier this year stating that you were not going to a site that was not fully funded and you were going back to basics where there will be a minimum purse of 35K divided by 6 classes and if spec classes wanted to race, they needed to commit ahead of time so you could try and obtain additional funds. Otherwise, they would be racing for a flag. I think that was great and maybe you should revisit that for 2011.

Sorry for speakin out of school. Its your gig, just thinkin out loud.

Happy Holidays

8. Collapse Details

Not every site can come up with the funds and this can happen right up to race day.
    So prize money amounts will vary.
    But a lot of guys are pissing and moaning about prize money what about the 1000.00 they recieved for just showing up how many times has that ever happened ?
    You guys should be happy to have great place to race and get paid to do it and if prize money is a deal breaker then you in the wrong form of racing because you are not going to make it boat racing.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by p-f-e View Post
    Not every site can come up with the funds and this can happen right up to race day.
    So prize money amounts will vary.
    But a lot of guys are pissing and moaning about prize money what about the 1000.00 they recieved for just showing up how many times has that ever happened ?
    You guys should be happy to have great place to race and get paid to do it and if prize money is a deal breaker then you in the wrong form of racing because you are not going to make it boat racing.
    Im afraid you are missing the point.

In 2005, it was announced, starting in 2006, there would be no entry fees and a 25k purse. With the help of John Haggin / AMF, that is what got this snow ball rolling. One of the reasons we have so many boats today, is solely because of that. Im sure many teams count on the possibility of purse money to fund their next race. And Im sure many teams would continue to race without purse money. I'll bet many will not. I know I have attended races when I knew there would be no purse. I know we are not here to make money racing. But once again, if a purse is announced it should be paid. Why is that so hard to understand?

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SVL66 View Post
    . But once again, if a purse is announced it should be paid. Why is that so hard to understand?

It's not and I'm sure everyone gets it.. I just think the thread got a little side tracked.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    It's not and I'm sure everyone gets it.. I just think the thread got a little side tracked.
    I agree. Asked and answered. Most controversial threads tend to get sidetracked. Smitty has explained. End of story.

12. Collapse Details

The hole deal changed when it was agreed to get 1000.00 show up money for orange beach.
    And you are right about teams not showing if there is no prize money but we recieved 1000.00 to show .
    And who is going to say you are going to place in the money anyway.
    Ill use my team as a example we would not have showed without travel money.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by p-f-e View Post
    The hole deal changed when it was agreed to get 1000.00 show up money for orange beach.
    And you are right about teams not showing if there is no prize money but we recieved 1000.00 to show .
    And who is going to say you are going to place in the money anyway.
    Ill use my team as a example we would not have showed without travel money.
    HELLO!!! The deal never changed....there was 50k. $1000 went to each team who showed. The remaining $$ was distributed to the winners in each class. OPA elected to distribute the funds that way. No one had a problem with that. Were you sleeping in class that day?

14. Collapse Details

Registered
    with you you and randy going to oss only ,and leaving opa entirely ,this whole thing is mute .
    let the rest of svl move on as they have been trying . no big deal .

15. Collapse Details

Tell me is your problem with dollar amount time it was paid?.
    I come up with 15,000 for first place boats to get paid and i know acula recieved his.
    And hello my azz was awake in class.

16. Collapse Details

Ladies and Gents, it's done! Let this die. Thank You.
    .......Augie Pensa.......

The Godfather

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mdkeywest View Post
    with you you and randy going to oss only ,and leaving opa entirely ,this whole thing is mute .
    let the rest of svl move on as they have been trying . no big deal .
    what input do you have here anyway? This has nothing to do with OSS or SVL. Why is it that everytime you post something, your underlying reason is to piss someone off?

18. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by SVL66 View Post
    what input do have have here anyway? This has nothing to do with OSS or SVL. Why is it that everytime you post something, your underlying reason is to piss someone off?
    you misunderstood my thought .

i'll back out . i am only interested in the bigger show that opa has planned for svl . not the oss version .
    if i offended you i opologize

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mdkeywest View Post
    you misunderstood my thought .

i'll back out . i am only interested in the bigger show that opa has planned for svl . not the oss version .
    if i offended you i opologize
    Everything is fine at OPA. I suggest you call Smitty direct with questions about OPA @ 732-920-3945, get everything right from his mouth. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Bro. Best Wishes, Augie
    .......Augie Pensa.......

The Godfather

20. Collapse Details

Registered
    Hi augie long time no see . hope youre ok now . I know opa,s ok .Happy whatever day