1. Collapse Details
    Stringers/ bulkheads
    Competitor
    Making new stringers and several bulkheads, all being Secondary bonds onto the hull. The top layer that i am attaching to is Woven Roving, Big Weave stuff ( cheap Boat ) any how. What would be proper surface prep and should i use Vinylester as opposed to Polyester, i have heard that it is better suited for secondary bonds.
    Surface Prep: Interlux Fiberglass solvent wash, gritty paper to roughen it and then go with Vinylester ????
    I am making all my tabs and stringer overlays with 1708 biaxial material, I have used this in the past and seem to have great results.

2. Collapse Details

24 grit grinder does some nice prep for either poly or viny

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
    Making new stringers and several bulkheads, all being Secondary bonds onto the hull. The top layer that i am attaching to is Woven Roving, Big Weave stuff ( cheap Boat ) any how. What would be proper surface prep and should i use Vinylester as opposed to Polyester, i have heard that it is better suited for secondary bonds.
    Surface Prep: Interlux Fiberglass solvent wash, gritty paper to roughen it and then go with Vinylester ????
    I am making all my tabs and stringer overlays with 1708 biaxial material, I have used this in the past and seem to have great results.
    A bunch of us have done this before. Take a look at my post "raising the x", I replaced my transom and beefed up the stringers. Post some pictures of your project.

4. Collapse Details

Vinyl is a little better secondary bond, kind of like a cross between poly and epoxy.

Go with a good quality polyester and properly prep the existing glass and you should be fine.

5. Collapse Details

Competitor
    What would you say is the proper prep of the existing glass??

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    Vinyl is a little better secondary bond, kind of like a cross between poly and epoxy.

Go with a good quality polyester and properly prep the existing glass and you should be fine.
    and like AFR stated #24 or even #36 grit will work just fine and your choice of fabric #1708 is also a good one and just a quick mention remember to round your edges on your stringers and fill in the bottom of the stringer with a filler making a radius which will give you a nicer lay up with less chance of air.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
    What would you say is the proper prep of the existing glass??
    First off i would recomend using a degreaser in the areas that might be contaminated with gas or oil and grinding everything to assure a proper bond .

8. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Gettin close to doing this damn thing. I have debated on what material to use. Say installing a Bulkhead of Plywood. I was planning to coat both sides with a layer of 1708 and run it off the edges to "tab" it to the hull, stringers etc. Will that be good, with the tabs running 6" or 8" onto the hull sides etc.?? Is that a waste of cloth on the flat faces? SHould i just coat them with some 1 1/2 oz. CSM?? then tab with 1708. Is one layer of 1708 tabbing on both the front and back all i need or should i double up that area, and run it further out than 6 - 8 " ?? Guess what ever i do would work. but i don't want to waste too much quality materials and or time in areas i don't need to. In looking at the Joker Builds i have seen on here, it seems as though there is only one layer of tabbing material.?

9. Collapse Details

I always go with two layers of glass around the perimeter of the bulk head staggered and the same amount of glass for the bulk head but that is your call and the reason being is...... that is how it was done at every boat co that i have ever worked at including Skater.

10. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    I always go with two layers of glass around the perimeter of the bulk head staggered and the same amount of glass for the bulk head but that is your call and the reason being is...... that is how it was done at every boat co that i have ever worked at including Skater.
    So you are suggesting (2) layers of 1708 all the way accross the faces of the bulkheads and extending into the hull sides / stringers ? Is this correct? So each bulkhead which will be plywood 3/4 inch, will have four total layers of 1708 all the way accross it, two on each side.? Then how do you suggest the tabbing be? say onto the hull sides? first layer tabs onto the side of the hull four inches and then the second layer tabs accross that, four inches plus out onto the hullside an additional two inches? Or Visa Versa? the first layer would extend out further than the second layer? Your help is greatly appreciated, sounds as though your experienced with this. I will post pics when i get some more head way accomplished.

11. Collapse Details

Yes i am suggesting two layer's of glass over the face of the bulk head which can be pre made prior to tabbing them in with two staggered layers of fabric along the perimeter and yes when you tab the bulk head into the hull sides your fabric should be staggered one wider then the next because your bulk head will only be as strong as its weakest link which means if you do not stagger your lay up and put each piece of glass on top of each other you only have one thick layer of glass and when doing stringers i always go with three layers (mutiple)of fabric staggered which is something i do out of habit after working at Skater put two layers of fabric should work just fine .

12. Collapse Details

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by northernoffshore View Post
    Hey guy Jamestown dis ,are way over priced and in fact you can buy that same product direct .

14. Collapse Details

Registered
    couldn't find the prisma web site so I posted the jamestown one as an example. I have found them at surplus places before for next to nothing.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by northernoffshore View Post
    couldn't find the prisma web site so I posted the jamestown one as an example. I have found them at surplus places before for next to nothing.
    hey guy i will post it tomorrow which is listed in my trade Mag .