Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    HORBA RESTORATION PROJECT
    Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Horba Restoration Project

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As you know we recently had the original 32 foot Cary Thunderballs donated to HORBA. The boat was in California and we needed to move it to Florida for the restoration. OSO member, Catastrophe, donated the entire amount for the move and Bobby Sheer donated his time and equipment to move it. A big Thank you to both of these guys for helping preserve the history of the sport.

So, the next step is to solicit donations and help from the high performance population to do this restoration.

HORBA's intent is to restore the boat like the 32 Cary that Don Aronow raced in 1969 and is so well known throughout the world, The Cigarette.

It is so ironic that on this very day...August 23, in California, 41 years today....Don won the Hennessey race with The Cigarette and Peter Rothschild was second by 5 seconds in Thunderballs.

The boat will be used to promote the history of the sport and will attend as many poker runs, race events and boat shows as can be afforded in the future.

HORBA will post photos as the restoration goes on.

Please send donations to:

HORBA
    PO BOX 8625
    WARWICK, RI 02888
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aronow (Large) (Small).jpg   aronowfile0017a.JPG   Donald aronow0045.jpg  

Donald aronow0026a.JPG   Bahamas 5000005.jpg   Bahamas 5000010.jpg  

Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

2. Collapse Details

Do you have any pics so we can see what she looks like now....before the restoration?

3. Collapse Details

Sure, here are some the owner sent us.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HORBA Cary 32 resto0001 (Medium).jpg   HORBA Cary 32 resto0002 (Medium).jpg   HORBA Cary 32 resto0003 (Medium).jpg  

HORBA Cary 32 resto0004 (Medium).jpg   HORBA Cary 32 resto0006 (Medium).jpg   HORBA Cary 32 resto0007 (Medium).jpg  

Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

4. Collapse Details

Great Thread ! Keep us up to date on Progress.

5. Collapse Details

We hope the boat will arrive for the Old Racers reunion at OFF in Florida the first week of October.

We will do a thorough analysis of the condition of the boat and make up a list of priority fixes ........and then we will have both an idea of the time and the budget needed.

Here are some more present condition photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HORBA Cary 32 resto0008 (Medium).jpg   HORBA Cary 32 resto0009 (Medium).jpg   HORBA Cary 32 resto0013 (Medium).jpg  

HORBA Cary 32 resto0019 (Medium).jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    We hope the boat will arrive for the Old Racers reunion at OFF in Florida the first week of October.

We will do a thorough analysis of the condition of the boat and make up a list of priority fixes ........and then we will have both an idea of the time and the budget needed.

Here are some more present condition photos.
    Where is the boat being kept for restoration? If it is in south Fl, and you need a hand turning wrenches, or even with minor glassswork or paint I would be willing to donate some labor.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    Where is the boat being kept for restoration? If it is in south Fl, and you need a hand turning wrenches, or even with minor glassswork or paint I would be willing to donate some labor.
    Once we find out exactly what needs to be done to it, we will be selecting a shop that can address those specific issues and can give you the info then.

Thaks for the offer, appreciate all the help we can get with this.

8. Collapse Details

Wow, that is a BIG set of trim tabs!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by X-driver View Post
    Wow, that is a BIG set of trim tabs!
    Yes....those were add ons later. Fortunately we have a lot of original photos of the Cigarette as Michael Aronow has some stuff, that have never been seen by the public and we will use those for guidance in our restoration.

The originals were much smaller and set on a straight line with the boot stripe, not slanted with the bottom of the boat as in these pictures.

10. Collapse Details

Great History!!!!!

Thanks Charlie....

BTW, Where the engines in the original Cary "The Cigarette" staggered too??

www.Donzi.org

11. Collapse Details

OKAY WE NEED SOME HELP HERE !!!!

The donated boat is in California.

Bobby Sheer said that he wouild bring it back to Florida for fuel and expenses. That amount was covered by a donation by Catastrophe.

The West bound boat has been cancelled and we have been waiting for a couple of weeks with no one else wanting a boat shipped to California.

Does anyone know of a boat that needs to be shipped to California or the West coast? We need that outbound to get the inbound boat back to Florida.

Thanks for helping here.

Bobby Sheer's cellphone is 954-646-6070

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    I talked to Bobby this morning Charlie he was in St Clair but I pointed him to someone that might need his services to Washington State.....Btw we need to hook up I have some unfinished business with you!!!! Call me!!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    .Btw we need to hook up I have some unfinished business with you!!!! Call me!!!!!
    Sean.....those books I was holding for you for the past 25 years, I just sold yesterday to an offshore fan from New Zealand....he said you can visit him anytime you want and he will be happy to let you read them LOL

I have some with me, see me at Off.

14. Collapse Details

Talked to Bob today,, he is on the road in midwest, making his way to the westcoast.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    OKAY WE NEED SOME HELP HERE !!!!

The donated boat is in California.

Bobby Sheer said that he wouild bring it back to Florida for fuel and expenses. That amount was covered by a donation by Catastrophe.

The West bound boat has been cancelled and we have been waiting for a couple of weeks with no one else wanting a boat shipped to California.

Does anyone know of a boat that needs to be shipped to California or the West coast? We need that outbound to get the inbound boat back to Florida.

Thanks for helping here.

Bobby Sheer's cellphone is 954-646-6070

15. Collapse Details

Hey Charlie, you ever get this ol' boy out to Florida?

One of my buddies was over to Dunsmore's a couple weeks ago. I guess they finally sold the old Conspiracy Cig 35 race boat. He said they're freshening up the motors in it for the buyer now. Seemed like it was probably going to say out in Nevada though (although that was just what I inferred).

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

16. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    I am pretty sure that it made its way to FL Bobby has been home for a coupleof weeks from the west coast now!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

17. Collapse Details

Hey Sean, how you been? Still keeping an eye out for your old lady everytime I drive down Cliff Dr. in Newport!

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

18. Collapse Details

Any luck on getting that 32 Cary to FL from CA?

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Donskihp View Post
    Any luck on getting that 32 Cary to FL from CA?
    Yes.....as a matter of fact it now sits in NY. After a couple of discussions with some shops in So Florida, we decided on a NY shop for the restoration.

Jimmy McIntyre's shop, the same one that did the fantastic restoration on the 27 Squadron of Tommy A, will do the Cigarette.

First step is to strip it and clean it and make a list of the priorities needed.

We will be starting a new thread with photos after the first of the year.

Many thanks to Bobby Sheer who did all of the transportaion on the back of his big semi...from California to Florida and finally to New York.

Many thaks to Catastophre who paid for the California to Florida portion of the trip.

An extra bonus....now that the boat is in NY, Don Aronow's son Michael, will be able to take part in the restoration. Michael was on hand when the first 32 Cary's were built and this will bring back some pleasant memories for him.

20. Collapse Details

Competitor
    How is this project coming along?