1. Collapse Details
    Broke upper gears again!
    This is the second time in 14 months that I broke my drive, and I need to go with something stronger. It is a standard Bravo drive with 1.5 ratio and DWP. It is the newer style drive with serial number starting with OW. The engine is a 502/565 hp. Boat is a 2005 Velocity 260. I am easy on the throttle out of the hole , but do run in rough water about 50% of the time and do my best to make sure I'm off the throttle when airborne. The upper gear set is what is breaking.
    Would an XZ or XR be a better drive for my set up?
    I have heard the XR will be a little slower and I really hate to loose any speed.
    I am not sure which way to go, but something has to change as this is not holding up.

2. Collapse Details

Call George at All American Outdrive... his number is 517-270-3203. Tell him Todd J. sent you with the Sonic. I have twin 575's and my XZ's he built me are running strong... We are lake michigan boats 100% of the time and big water is our game... BTW.. he offers a 2 year warranty.....

Todd
    Last edited by teamsynergy; 08-23-2010 at 12:29 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Revd up..
    Good to see some one from Rockford. I used to live there. Ripped up the Rock back in the 70's with a little 16' Hustler.
    The Bavos have an "upper driveshaft issue" and the niddle bearing/gear problem. (Search threads and read.) I have a complete XR gear set, minus the uper driveshaft. I found the problem early. The upper shaft gets worn a bit and a grove developes, then vibration, then upper gear problems. If you need the parts, let me know.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

4. Collapse Details

Competitor
    I have a complete XR drive for sale. The upper is like new (very few hours) The lower is a little older, but is in great shape. The lower has LWP, and a nose cone on it. SUPPER deal. This is a bolt on and go. Any one interested sent me a PM.

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor RACESDAD's Avatar
    i have 2 xr sportmasters i would love to get to them out of the garage

6. Collapse Details

PM sent.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PARADOX View Post
    Revd up..
    Good to see some one from Rockford. I used to live there. Ripped up the Rock back in the 70's with a little 16' Hustler.
    The Bavos have an "upper driveshaft issue" and the niddle bearing/gear problem. (Search threads and read.) I have a complete XR gear set, minus the uper driveshaft. I found the problem early. The upper shaft gets worn a bit and a grove developes, then vibration, then upper gear problems. If you need the parts, let me know.
    So the gears from a XR drive will work in my bravo 1.5? I have the same problem with the upper gears in mine.

8. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    yes ,, and the very little you loose ,,it,s well worth it ,,ps you can get back and then some with a little prop work from THROTTLE-UP ,,,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

9. Collapse Details

I sold my boat and have a nearly new 1.50 XR sitting in the garage. It was my spare and needs to go.

10. Collapse Details

How much for the XR 500hps?

11. Collapse Details

$4,200 and I'll pay shipping if you can accept it to a dock on a pallet.

5 hours after replacing pitted gears I over-trimmed a drive trying to get over a sandbar....cracked the case at the input shaft (damage done at idle). Bought a new case, new bearings, new seals, re-used those 5 hour old gears and other internals. Gutted the lower and sanded, primed, paint, and clear-coat before re-assembly. Been sitting in the garage as a spare ever since. 2003 era non-swept back 1.50 XR w/ dual water pick-ups.
    pics of drive listed in swap shop