Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Best way to cross cruiser wakes
    I hate it when I come across the 4-6' cruiser wakes in the pacific in my 29' Fountain because I never really know what to do, so I always slow way down to like 20 or 30 and just plow over them. I don't like to beat the crap out of my stuff, so I don't really like jumping it any more than I have to. Really my question is for when I encounter them comming head on, when I encounter them at a 90* I just go as far behind the boat as possible. Here's my boat and about as much as I like to jump it. If I did just "pin it" and just a 5' wake in my boat, wouldn't it break something?

2. Collapse Details

as soon as your prop(s) leave the water you need to cut the throttle back to the point where your prop speed will match your boat speed when you re-enter the water. you don't want to cut the throttle all the way and have your prop too slow when it re-enters the water. also you want your outdrive trimmed close to level, Positive trim Can make the nose of the boat fly wayyyy up in the air and land transom first. (may look cool but totally Unsafe). Trim tabs should both be at the same setting (whether it be up/down slightly/mid) so they don't cause the boat launch and fly crooked. If you can Master these basics Wake Jumping can be Fun & Safe and Not take a Toll on your equpiment. Remeber you should only be going as fast as your Passangers feel safe, once they start liking it everybody will have fun

3. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Always look for that lone Jet ski or another vessel on the other side. It hard to take evasive action once your at or near the wake.
    Steve

4. Collapse Details

I understand about triming the boat and adjusting the throttles in mid air, my question came down to jumping the wakes or slowing down and plowing through. If I jumped my 29 at 60mph off of a 5' cruiser wake, that thing would probably get 5' of air and that just can't be good on the equipment regardless of how good you are at throttling.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    You want to go just fast enough to clear the hole and ride the top of the next swell. I like the second one back from the transom of the cruiser but, it will appear to them you are getting too close. It is possible to get a lot of air and still get a smooth ride and landing.. Thing is if you mis judge it can be ugly..

6. Collapse Details

Yeah I could see that being really ugly if you jumped into the third roller of the set or "case it" like a dirt bike.

7. Collapse Details

Think cruiser wakes and jet ski's are challenging? Read this:

"This stuff took us years to figure out," said Fulbright, who has identified six premier tanker surfing spots, each one with its own name. "People still have no idea where we go or how we do it."

But what has long been a well-kept secret in local surfing circles is now being telecast throughout the wave-riding world. The Texas tanker surfers were recently featured in the documentary Step Into Liquid along with such legendary surfing spots as Southern California and the North Shore of Maui. Last week, the magazines Surfer and Surfing Girl were in Galveston Bay to photograph the guys riding wake.

"There's a lot of characters in surfing, and these guys in Texas are at the top of the list," said Dana Brown, the filmmaker and narrator.

"What they try to surf in, I don't think a lot of people would consider trying it. In a way, they are just as radical as the big wave guys. It seems very Texan ... the ingenuity."

If the channel is a liquid superhighway, Fulbright and three or four surfing buddies ride the shoulder, steering their boats about a half-mile to the side or behind tankers as they pass. As the wave rolls toward them, they jump in and catch it.

Each day, as many as 18 to 20 ships -- 45 feet wide and 250 feet long -- plow through the waters of Galveston Bay on their way to ports in Houston, Baytown and Channelview, according to the Greater Houston Port Bureau. With a belly full of oil unloaded from a "mother tanker" in the Gulf, each one weighs about 95,000 tons and travels between 9 and 12 mph.

At that size, each pushes 35 feet of water from the bottom of the channel into the more shallow bay that surrounds it. The surge has nowhere to go but up, creating a wave that can be (at least) waist- to shoulder-high"

8. Collapse Details

Brownie tells a story of Racing with Aronow in the Galveston race, they where running 4th or worse until the approached these tankers, Aronow went wide open across the wakes while the other competitors slowed down. they ended up first cause nobody jump like that lap after lap

9. Collapse Details

Registered
    Sometimes it's wise to slow down. Eventually you'll read one wrong and get in a bad situation when you reach the other side.

10. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ron P's Avatar
    Approach the wake at a 45 degree angle.

11. Collapse Details

I would say as your comming up to the wake aim at a 90' angle to the first wake and put the throttle on the dash and hold on real tight...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gladidator 3.jpg   gladiator - Copy.jpg  

12. Collapse Details

I would if I wasn't in my boat. I don't have any interest in getting my boat 5' out of the water like that.

13. Collapse Details

Long Island Sound has been FLAT almost this whole summer......I go lookin for cruiser wakes to wake me up 3 to 4 footers i hammer though them anywhere between 45 to 60 degrees. 5 and up I will slow down just enough so I dont over jump the gap.

14. Collapse Details

Try to hit them strait on tabs down a little to use as much hull as possible jump father back lesser wake!My 02

15. Collapse Details

Just pin it to win it!!!!!

16. Collapse Details

Jump them it's a blast once you get the hang of it. We have our friends go make us wakes just so we can jump like the pic above of bigyellowcat.

17. Collapse Details

I'm talking about the 100' + boats that put up the 5' swells or wakes!

18. Collapse Details

That's even better the carvers we jump put them up that big.

19. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

20. Collapse Details

If I had a race boat I would do it that way to.