Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Mercruiser 540ci 575hp
    Just got one of the gen IV mercruiser 540ci 575hp engines and someone put a quadrajunk on it. What would be a good carb to use on this motor?

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SickSation View Post
    Just got one of the gen IV mercruiser 540ci 575hp engines and someone put a quadrajunk on it. What would be a good carb to use on this motor?
    Change to injection......

DO you plan any other upgrades in the near future? If so, I think you are getting close to Dominator required CFM's already.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Are you talking about the 540 bulldog engine? Im pretty sure they came with 4150 series holleys. 800 or 850 should be enough carb.

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    If he's talking about the Bulldog, Whipple made a kit for that which increased HP by 50% from what I recall and used the stock carb. My BT engines started as Bulldogs. Nice base to start from.

5. Collapse Details
    Im not for sure if its a bulldog or not. Talldeck as well. 4.250 stroke x 4.5bore.

I havent been able to find out much info on it. I do know that its a stock mercruiser built 575hp. Has # 6272990 heads which i believe are Ls6 heads.

Yea I found a dominator 1050 for 200.00 form a friends dad.

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Im not for sure if its a bulldog or not. Talldeck as well. 4.250 stroke x 4.5bore.

I havent been able to find out much info on it. I do know that its a stock mercruiser built 575hp. Has # 6272990 heads which i believe are Ls6 heads.

If it's a stock Merc, the 500 Bulldog was the base package for all of the SC's I believe. It was actually 542CuIn, bit was only 470HP. The exact same thing with the dual dominators and supercharged was the 850SC.

I'm racking my brain to figure out a naturally aspirated Merc with 575HP and 540 CuIn. Anyone?????

Here is some info and links I have.

http://brucebullockmarine.com/mercury/500.html

HP500 Bulldog Specifications

Propshaft Horsepower: 470 (350 kw)
    Displacement (Liter/CID): 8.9/542
    Cylinders: V-8
    Bore (in/mm): 4.44/113
    Stroke (in/mm): 4.375/111
    Compression Ratio: 8.6:1
    Fuel Requirements: 87 Posted Octane (R+M)/2
    Full Throttle RPM Range: 4800-5200
    Ignition Type: Thunderbolt V
    Alternator (amps/watts): 55/776
    Length (in/mm): 47.5/1207
    Width (in/mm): 32.75/648
    Height (in/mm): 25.5/648
    Weight (lbs/kg): 1540/699
    Warranty: 1-year limited, 3-year limited corrosion

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/engine-r...i-horizon-8110

MerCruiser HP500 Bulldog (April 2000)
    MerCruiser's HP500 Bulldog and the new low-maintenance 350 MPI Horizon represent a clever blend of traditional and current marine engineering technology

In the sportsboat arena, diesels are often well down the options list. With powerplants like MerCruiser's recently-released 470hp HP500 Bulldog, that's easy to understand! The HP500 is the largest capacity petrol V-eight yet offered by Mercury and displaces a whopping 8.9lt.

It's an almost 'square' engine with a bore of 112.8mm and stroke of 111.1 and develops 469 propshaft horsepower in the 4800-5200rpm Wide Open Throttle (WOT) rev range.
    Nonetheless, despite this prodigious output - thanks to a relatively low 8.75:1 compression ratio - the HP500 runs on standard unleaded petrol.

At a time when engine manufacturers are opting for electronic engine management, the HP500 is a refreshingly simple change.

Unlike the Mercury HP500EFI, which develops the same amount of maximum power from its 8.2lt - though obviously nowhere near the torque - the HP500 has a single 800 cubic feet per minute Holley carburettor and relatively simple Thunderbolt V electronic ignition. The only drawback is the all-up weight, 700kg compared to 516.

To give some idea of how understressed the HP500 is, its supercharged HP900SC counterpart (with which the Bulldog shares its basic architecture) develops 850 propshaft horsepower at 5900 revs and is fed by twin 1050 cubic feet per minute Holleys.

The HP500 is the smallest MerCruiser V-eight to be blueprinted and has a polished crankshaft and its bearings, connecting rods, pistons and rings are all hand-fitted to exact tolerances.

Like the lower-spec MerCruiser V-six and V-eight sterndrives, the HP500 has pushrods with roller bearings on the camshaft lobes to reduce friction and increase component lifespan. The exhaust risers are stainless steel.

Cleverly, MerCruiser has fitted a thermostatically-controlled oil cooler to sterndrive models.
    This system quickly raises oil temperature to its most effective level and keeps it there for maximum engine protection under load.

Complementing the cooler is a Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve which draws air out of the crankcase and in conjunction with the cooler reduces condensation levels in the oil for longer oil life and less internal corrosion.

The PCV valve also reduces oil vapour build-up and improves engine idle quality.
    Standard are colour-coded, hand-removable coolant drain plugs and service points for the engine and drive oil and coolant and power steering fluid.

A single serpentine belt drives the water and power steering pumps and 55 amp alternator.
    The HP500 is available with a Bravo One or Bravo One Performance Drive and reduction ratios of 1.36:1 or 1.50:1.

The Bravo One is the smallest MerCruiser drive to have the gearshift located at the top of the drive for easier servicing access and is a great hydrodynamic compromise between the Alpha and Bravo Two drives.

If you plan to operate in aerated (rough) water or shallow water with the drive well past maximum trim range, consider fitting the Performance Drive. The water intakes are located at the bottom edge of the gearcase torpedo and ensure a more uninterrupted flow of water to the powerplant, particularly when running hard. The end result of the HP500 Bulldog concept is a package that provides plenty of grunt when needed, but with regular maintenance should last countless seasons of on-the-water enjoyment.

The warranty is one year for general components and three against corrosion perforation.

From RPM awhile back

The Merc Bulldog is an exceptional platform for upgrades. Many of these were contracted to the military, hence the overkill on the hard parts. They were not the same bore and stroke as what we consider today as the conventional 540, with a 4.500” bore and 4.250” stroke. All Merc bulldog engines were based upon a tall deck block. Below are the specs on the engine.

541.9 CID
    GM MK 4 tall deck (cast# 14044807)
    Block clearance to accommodate 4.375” stroke
    Siamese Bore, reinforced decks with blind head bolt holes.
    Deck 10.2”
    2 pc rear seal
    Bore 4.44”
    Stroke 4.375”
    (With a factory recommended bore range 4.250’- 4.560” there is plenty of room for upgrades)
    SCR 8.6:1
    4340 Lunati crank
    Piston is Wiseco (Merc part #)
    Connecting rod is Manley +.400" / 6.535"
    Dart Single Plane Intake Manifold

Crane Camshaft Specification Card
    Part Number: 13H000036
    Grind Number: H-240/329-2-10 T1.2

7. Collapse Details

Do you have a engine serial number???

This should be a link to your engine parts.
    http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec...D8+1986%2D1992

8. Collapse Details

that will work good i have one on my motor and thats a great price i have 1200in mine

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    If it's a stock Merc, the 500 Bulldog was the base package for all of the SC's I believe. It was actually 542CuIn, bit was only 470HP. The exact same thing with the dual dominators and supercharged was the 850SC.

I'm racking my brain to figure out a naturally aspirated Merc with 575HP and 540 CuIn. Anyone?????

Here is some info and links I have.

http://brucebullockmarine.com/mercury/500.html

HP500 Bulldog Specifications

Propshaft Horsepower: 470 (350 kw)
    Displacement (Liter/CID): 8.9/542
    Cylinders: V-8
    Bore (in/mm): 4.44/113
    Stroke (in/mm): 4.375/111
    Compression Ratio: 8.6:1
    Fuel Requirements: 87 Posted Octane (R+M)/2
    Full Throttle RPM Range: 4800-5200
    Ignition Type: Thunderbolt V
    Alternator (amps/watts): 55/776
    Length (in/mm): 47.5/1207
    Width (in/mm): 32.75/648
    Height (in/mm): 25.5/648
    Weight (lbs/kg): 1540/699
    Warranty: 1-year limited, 3-year limited corrosion

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/engine-r...i-horizon-8110

MerCruiser HP500 Bulldog (April 2000)
    MerCruiser's HP500 Bulldog and the new low-maintenance 350 MPI Horizon represent a clever blend of traditional and current marine engineering technology

In the sportsboat arena, diesels are often well down the options list. With powerplants like MerCruiser's recently-released 470hp HP500 Bulldog, that's easy to understand! The HP500 is the largest capacity petrol V-eight yet offered by Mercury and displaces a whopping 8.9lt.

It's an almost 'square' engine with a bore of 112.8mm and stroke of 111.1 and develops 469 propshaft horsepower in the 4800-5200rpm Wide Open Throttle (WOT) rev range.
    Nonetheless, despite this prodigious output - thanks to a relatively low 8.75:1 compression ratio - the HP500 runs on standard unleaded petrol.

At a time when engine manufacturers are opting for electronic engine management, the HP500 is a refreshingly simple change.

Unlike the Mercury HP500EFI, which develops the same amount of maximum power from its 8.2lt - though obviously nowhere near the torque - the HP500 has a single 800 cubic feet per minute Holley carburettor and relatively simple Thunderbolt V electronic ignition. The only drawback is the all-up weight, 700kg compared to 516.

To give some idea of how understressed the HP500 is, its supercharged HP900SC counterpart (with which the Bulldog shares its basic architecture) develops 850 propshaft horsepower at 5900 revs and is fed by twin 1050 cubic feet per minute Holleys.

The HP500 is the smallest MerCruiser V-eight to be blueprinted and has a polished crankshaft and its bearings, connecting rods, pistons and rings are all hand-fitted to exact tolerances.

Like the lower-spec MerCruiser V-six and V-eight sterndrives, the HP500 has pushrods with roller bearings on the camshaft lobes to reduce friction and increase component lifespan. The exhaust risers are stainless steel.

Cleverly, MerCruiser has fitted a thermostatically-controlled oil cooler to sterndrive models.
    This system quickly raises oil temperature to its most effective level and keeps it there for maximum engine protection under load.

Complementing the cooler is a Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve which draws air out of the crankcase and in conjunction with the cooler reduces condensation levels in the oil for longer oil life and less internal corrosion.

The PCV valve also reduces oil vapour build-up and improves engine idle quality.
    Standard are colour-coded, hand-removable coolant drain plugs and service points for the engine and drive oil and coolant and power steering fluid.

A single serpentine belt drives the water and power steering pumps and 55 amp alternator.
    The HP500 is available with a Bravo One or Bravo One Performance Drive and reduction ratios of 1.36:1 or 1.50:1.

The Bravo One is the smallest MerCruiser drive to have the gearshift located at the top of the drive for easier servicing access and is a great hydrodynamic compromise between the Alpha and Bravo Two drives.

If you plan to operate in aerated (rough) water or shallow water with the drive well past maximum trim range, consider fitting the Performance Drive. The water intakes are located at the bottom edge of the gearcase torpedo and ensure a more uninterrupted flow of water to the powerplant, particularly when running hard. The end result of the HP500 Bulldog concept is a package that provides plenty of grunt when needed, but with regular maintenance should last countless seasons of on-the-water enjoyment.

The warranty is one year for general components and three against corrosion perforation.

From RPM awhile back

The Merc Bulldog is an exceptional platform for upgrades. Many of these were contracted to the military, hence the overkill on the hard parts. They were not the same bore and stroke as what we consider today as the conventional 540, with a 4.500” bore and 4.250” stroke. All Merc bulldog engines were based upon a tall deck block. Below are the specs on the engine.

541.9 CID
    GM MK 4 tall deck (cast# 14044807)
    Block clearance to accommodate 4.375” stroke
    Siamese Bore, reinforced decks with blind head bolt holes.
    Deck 10.2”
    2 pc rear seal
    Bore 4.44”
    Stroke 4.375”
    (With a factory recommended bore range 4.250’- 4.560” there is plenty of room for upgrades)
    SCR 8.6:1
    4340 Lunati crank
    Piston is Wiseco (Merc part #)
    Connecting rod is Manley +.400" / 6.535"
    Dart Single Plane Intake Manifold

Crane Camshaft Specification Card
    Part Number: 13H000036
    Grind Number: H-240/329-2-10 T1.2
    The air cleaner sticker has all the specs. 575hp 4800-5200rpm. I dont think they made these engines for very long. Ive been told it has a krowller crank corrila rods, je pistons. Sorry if i mispelled brand names... I feel at 4500.00 and a day of driving (900miles) it was well worth it.

10. Collapse Details

Waterford Mi., Lk. St. Clair and Lk. Erie
    The 575 was an option several years before the 500 Bulldog. A friend of mine that owned a marina put one in a Camaro SS396. It was copper colored and the valve covers said Mercury Racing 575HP. A quadrajet seems like a poor choice for that engine. Better to put an Edelbrock Victor JR manifold and a Holley 800 or 850 on it. Or change to a roller cam and a Victor 454r and a 1050 Dominator. These engines have all of the best parts in them and are a great base for building a high perf. engine.
    Big boats rule!

11. Collapse Details

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriYacht View Post
    The 575 was an option several years before the 500 Bulldog. A friend of mine that owned a marina put one in a Camaro SS396. It was copper colored and the valve covers said Mercury Racing 575HP. A quadrajet seems like a poor choice for that engine. Better to put an Edelbrock Victor JR manifold and a Holley 800 or 850 on it. Or change to a roller cam and a Victor 454r and a 1050 Dominator. These engines have all of the best parts in them and are a great base for building a high perf. engine.
    Thanks Ian.....

13. Collapse Details

Yea it says 575 on the valve covers. Very few people know anything about these motors... Including me...

single plane or dual plane on intake? Ive Got a 1050 to use.

14. Collapse Details

Waterford Mi., Lk. St. Clair and Lk. Erie
    Single plane. You will have plenty of torque for any purpose. I would not just put this engine in and run it. It's about 20 years old and who knows what condition it's in. It's filled with very expensive pieces and if any get hurt, the repair bill is going to be frightening! The rods are about 400.00 each purchased from Carrillo and the crankshaft is about 2500.00. A Bowtie talldeck block is around 2500.00 and then add the prep work etc................. You got a great deal on this engine but I would take it to someone who knows what they are doing and have it torn down and at least re-ringed and bearinged. Probably replace the oil pump, timing chain, lifters and cam and do a good valve job. Good luck.
    Big boats rule!

15. Collapse Details

It was Mercury's big motor at the time usually came with a #3 drive. It had a 1050 Dominator and Team G intakes.

Alot of the old mid to late 80 Cigarettes and Apache used those motors

Mark

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MrCig View Post
    It was Mercury's big motor at the time usually came with a #3 drive. It had a 1050 Dominator and Team G intakes.

Alot of the old mid to late 80 Cigarettes and Apache used those motors

Mark
    Thanks man. Puttin a performer single plane on tomorrow with a 1050 and see what she does. I think I'll be turning a 30 or 32p 4 blade so it should move pretty good being in a 25ft.

17. Collapse Details

In the link below you will find some information:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...questions.html

Have a pair of these with hydraulic roller cams.

/Torbjorn

18. Collapse Details

I still have the mid 80s Powerboat issue that covered the "new" Merc 420 and 575 engines. They liked them both except the price. The 420 replaced the 400 cyclone and 440.

19. Collapse Details

Single plane. You will have plenty of torque for any purpose. I would not just put this engine in and run it. It's about 20 years old and who knows what condition it's in. It's filled with very expensive pieces and if any get hurt, the repair bill is going to be frightening! The rods are about 400.00 each purchased from Carrillo and the crankshaft is about 2500.00. A Bowtie talldeck block is around 2500.00 and then add the prep work etc................. You got a great deal on this engine but I would take it to someone who knows what they are doing and have it torn down and at least re-ringed and bearinged. Probably replace the oil pump, timing chain, lifters and cam and do a good valve job. Good luck.

20. Collapse Details

Sicksation,
    Glad you started this thread! I'm in the same boat (pun intended).
    I now have a Gen IV 500/540 Bulldog in my Active Thunder. However I used the ignition and carb (Holly 830) from my 1999 HP500.
    So, just as "Sicksation" asked, I would also like to know what would be a good carb choice for the 540 Bulldog? OR, should I just stick with my HP500 Holley 830?
    Abbysomeone