Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    This Guy has Balls
    Parabellum FJ²B

2. Collapse Details

Any bets the guy was using a Sharkshield?

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm going more for no brains......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

2 years ago I was snorkeling out in front of my hotel in Key West....I would dive down, swim around on a breath of air and then surface for a bit, catch my breath and go down again. One on point I dove down and made my way towards the bottom only to come across a shark (what I believe to be a nurse shark) resting at the bottom, fairly well camouflaged. This thing was maybe 3 1/2 – 4 ft, but it scared the living hell out of me! I must have looked like a real puzzy because the couple on the beach asked me what I had seen. I guess my hightailing it out of the water at super sonic speed (flailing my arms the whole way) gave away the fact that I had seen something that had terrified me. It was the 1st and only time I have ever come across something bigger then a sun fish while in the water and it almost gave me a heart attack!!

5. Collapse Details

Nurse sharks are whimps, if it was a bull shark run or swim fast
    Run until it sounds expensive

6. Collapse Details

Bullsharks are fun.......when theyre on the end of your line. Especially fun when you blast the Cobia off its back with a speargun.

7. Collapse Details

This is pretty much what I saw...I would actually like to see one again and not panic....I think I would be more composed this time around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 800px-Nurse_shark_top_view.jpg  

8. Collapse Details

I watched a guy pull a nurse shark out from under a coral ledge by its tail and the thing just slowly swam off. I have read a few storries where they have gotten suprisingly agressive towards spearos. Nipping at fins while a diver was waiting to get back in the boat....

9. Collapse Details

Guy had a nurse shark latch onto his boob a coupe of years ago in Key largo(he was grabbing it by the tail) they had to sedate the shark so it would let him go.

Two weeks ago up the Keys a guy was kissing nurse sharks and one damn near took his lips off....something like 4 hours of surgery to fix it.
    Parabellum FJ²B

10. Collapse Details

A few years ago we were headed out to dive the Thunderbolt with Tildens. On the way out to the wreck everybody was exchanging storries about close calls with sea critters. One of the deckhands rolled up his shirt sleeve to show us the aftermath of a Moray bite . He had to wear sleeves to keep the sun off of all the scars.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Guy had a nurse shark latch onto his boob a coupe of years ago in Key largo(he was grabbing it by the tail) they had to sedate the shark so it would let him go.

Two weeks ago up the Keys a guy was kissing nurse sharks and one damn near took his lips off....something like 4 hours of surgery to fix it.
    Kissing a shark? For fun?
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Apache View Post
    Kissing a shark? For fun?

It's a guy thing
    Run until it sounds expensive

13. Collapse Details

He's semi famous for this....if you look it up on you tube there are several videos !
    Parabellum FJ²B

14. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    This Guy has Balls

Titanium balls for sure!
    ________

15. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The day after our wedding in Bora Bora we went on a shark feeding expedition by the inlet to the lagoon there. There were two outriggers full of tourists, and Terri, my sister and Brother-in-law, and myself were the only ones to get in the water with the sharks. After we were in, the guide starts throwing chunks of fish and stuff in by us and by the time we were done there were probably 25 or 30 sharks all around us. I have some pics where they are so close eating fish in front of me only half of the mouth is in the pic......

The biggest was probably a 10 to 12 footer.

Terri's digging her nails so hard into my arm I thought I was gonna start bleeding......

Could have been a short marriage......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

16. Collapse Details

I was scuba diving out of Leverick Bay in Virgin Gorda a couple years back and came up over a reef on a couple good sized black tip reef sharks. They kept their distance and so did I.

A year or so ago a kid was killed by a big bull shark here in Virginia Beach. I also remember a friend of mine pulling out an eleven or so foot tiger shark right off the pier down at the Beach. He said at the time there were surfers less than 50 yards away when they yanked it on board.

17. Collapse Details

THat was san onofre state beach. I remember in 03' right before I moved east, there were a couple juvi white sharks that showed up at that beach. Its also a very popular surf beach and that year the surfers would paddle out and surf with the two juvi whites swimming around and in between them. They even named the sharks. that was all fine and dandy untill a few months later somebody got munched there.

Due to the way the san onofre plant was built its often refered to as the Pamela Anderson National Monument..

P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

18. Collapse Details

These sharks are all thinking of one thing.........

PENGUINS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19132_1161002158373_1627403351_462269_3433609_n.jpg  
    Parabellum FJ²B

19. Collapse Details

MIAMI, Florida -- A South Florida diver, who enjoys swimming with sharks, ends up hospitalized after he decided to kiss one and the shark kissed back.

It was a decision that left the amorous diver with a severely damaged lip that required extensive reconstruction surgery.

Dr. Sean Kenniff spoke to diver Dave Marcel about a month after the underwater encounter in the waters off Key Largo.

"You kind of pick them up, rub their belly, scratch them, hug them,” Marcel said, “You might as well give them a smooch while you're out there."

He's done it hundreds of times before, but this time the love bug bit back sinking five hundred razor sharp teeth into his lips.

Then in a pool of blood, with his lip hanging like a worm, the snappers came in for a few bites too.

Miami cosmetic surgeon Dr. Mike Kelly has seen almost everything, but even he's never seen this.

"Dave's lip looked like it had been put through a meat grinder or a garbage disposal. I mean it was a hundred little pieces," Dr. Kelly said.

It was supposed to be just a little kiss. When it comes to shark bites most people think of a Great White or a Tiger Shark. But believe it or not, bites from nurse sharks are not uncommon. Although they have a reputation for being docile animals, it's important to remember they are also wild animals.

Dr. Kelly says repairing Dave's face was particularly puzzling.

"Basically it was a matter of completing the jigsaw puzzle and putting the pieces back together again," he said.

And in this school of fish, Dave has learned his lesson the hard way.

"Don't kiss a nurse shark while it's upside down," Dave said.

Better still, don't kiss them at all.

It is not common for nurse sharks to spontaneously attack humans, but they can attack when provoked.

Dave's kiss must have been quite a provocation.
    Parabellum FJ²B

20. Collapse Details

I had to snorkel a few times with nurse sharks for work. they are no problem, they want nothing to do with you. If you go to compass cay in the bahamas they come up on the dock in high tide, and you can pet them. pretty cool