1. Collapse Details
    anyone tow with a 5.4
    looking at an 08 F-250 with the 5.4. I was curios what peoples thoughts are on this truck? thank you

2. Collapse Details

Coming from a Ford Service Manger that truck with that motor won't get out of its own way! Speed the extra money for the diesel or take it home and hook it up to the boat!

My .02

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Medicine View Post
    Coming from a Ford Service Manger that truck with that motor won't get out of its own way! Speed the extra money for the diesel or take it home and hook it up to the boat!

My .02
    Agreed!

I had a 2004 F250 Lariat Crew cab 4x4 with 5.4. Towed my Four Winns Liberator 241 to loto from chicago. SUCKED. Got down in the hills and just to maintain 60mph, motor was screaming at 5k up the hills. Gas mileage sucked. 7.5 towing at 65mph on flat ground. Go V10 if diesel isnt a option. Fuel milage is about the same, but more power. V10 might even get better MPG, since your foot wont be to the floor all the time.

4. Collapse Details

what about the 6.0 on the ford? i have heard mixed thoughts

5. Collapse Details

I tow with my E250 Van to every race with no problem. I wont break and land speed records but it does ok.

The trailer is a triple axle steel MYCO than must weight as much as the boat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Through Sept 22, 2008 028.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
    what about the 6.0 on the ford? i have heard mixed thoughts
    I have a bunch on miles on my 04, I love it. The engines have a few quirks but so does everything else. The main problem with them is misdiagnosis!

7. Collapse Details

I had an older 1998 5.4 Expedition and have towed a couple smaller boats with it. My 211 Liberator wasn't bad. My 237 PowerQuest Stryker wasn't too much heavier but on a better trailer and it was really as much as I would want to tow with that truck. My 200 Regal Destiny deckboat is pretty big, deep, and heavy for a 20 footer and that truck did OK, not great, not terrible, just OK with it. I have a newer 2004 Expedition now with the 5.4 too, yet to tow much at all, but same gear ratios and it drives out pretty similar, guessing will do same as old or real close. I think the PQ, trailer, gear, fuel, all loaded may have tipped scales just over 5,000 lbs maybe. That was the max I would ever want to pull with my Expeditions, even though they are rated for twice that. Maybe in a 3/4 ton it may be a bit better feeling, but if 3:50 gears and the 5.4....I guess anything over 5-6000 pounds is going to make you want a bigger motor. Happy shopping!

8. Collapse Details

I towed my 38KV Scarab from FLA to TEXass.....no problems at all. I am not worried about driving fast since I when I tow I am not in any HURRY!

2004 F-250 5.4 Getting GAS is the only thing that sucked, its hard to pull in the whole rig to a regular gas pump. I had (5) fuel stops in 1100 miles.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    Agreed!

I had a 2004 F250 Lariat Crew cab 4x4 with 5.4. Towed my Four Winns Liberator 241 to loto from chicago. SUCKED. Got down in the hills and just to maintain 60mph, motor was screaming at 5k up the hills. Gas mileage sucked. 7.5 towing at 65mph on flat ground. Go V10 if diesel isnt a option. Fuel milage is about the same, but more power. V10 might even get better MPG, since your foot wont be to the floor all the time.

Very true in a F-250. NOW in a F-150 that motor is the cats azz. MHO

10. Collapse Details

The 5.4l is a DOG!
    I couldn`t take it just driving around town.. now with 400hp to the rear wheels its a little better
    Buying 93 and maybe 11mpg around town is getting old thou..