Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    New guy, Need help
    I've been a fisherman my whole life and love running boats, mostly smaller inshore/nearshore boats. I go offshore a few times a year on different size center consoles etc.
    Been thinking about taking a break from the fishing and getting into the cruising/poker run scene.
    Got a few questions if ya'll don't mind.
    1)Do any of the high performance boats have some sort of sun protection (radar arch w/ canvas etc.) I realize this is a speed killer.
    2) For the size, some of these boats don't seem to have much room for seating. Dont think I want to get into the express/cruiser type but are there some makes that crossover between performance and cruising?
    Thanks, Brig.

2. Collapse Details

Depends on what you want to spend.... from putting a bimini on a pantera to a fountain 48ec with tripple yanmars....
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    from putting a bimini on a pantera

Welcome to the board Brigbooth.

Tell us more of how you want to use the boat and on what waters, and the members here will certainly chime in with some opinions and pros/cons on damn near everything out there.

There is plenty of sun protection in a SVL...
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

4. Collapse Details

Guess my question is too vague, basically because I don't know chit about non fishing boats. Prob looking for something with a few hours 100k - 150k? Twin engine.
    BTW there's a 48 Fountain near me, surface drives, Yanmar's I think. Been for sale for a while, prob not a good starter boat (400k anyway)

5. Collapse Details

SHADE? If your hot you aint going fast enough

You can put a bimmini on anything. If your looking for usable cockpit space a Baja 38 special has a ton of room. Where will you be boating?
    SOS NINJA dancing on the boundaries of hell.

6. Collapse Details

Just like asking what CC is the best boat....you need to narrow your field a bit. Budget? Size your willing to tow? Speed requirement (if any)?

Most of these boats are closed bow, I/O power, that you can add a bimini to but most think that's sacriledge .

7. Collapse Details

Just crossed my mind... an old 36' Cig. wide fricken beam boat=plenty of cockpit. Need to power it up for any speed... Heavy wave crusher... And you have a classic piece of history.
    OR, go APACHE!

Brig - don't mind us if we sidetrack a bit on your thread, we tend to do that around here, and there are lot's of inside jokes that you will get to know. I promise that if you weed through it, you'll get some good info from the bunch here.
    I'm serious about an old 36' Cig, gotta be great for space with the wide beam, and still have plenty of everything else as long as you aren't looking to break the century mark.

8. Collapse Details

I read the gentleman's post and think Formula. Like an SS. Faster than a cruiser, more space and accomodations than most perf boats. But I guess those are express cruisers.

Lots of guys carry an Anchor Shade and set it up when they are docked or moored for relief from the sun, but run with nothing up.

btw.... welcome Brig

9. Collapse Details

U guys are awesome, have ALWAYS admired the Cigs & Fountains from a distance. I live way up a river off Lake Pontchatrain in Louisiana, got enough depth for almost anything. Got BIG plans (in my head anyway). Thinking of loading up every so often and heading to ALA/Fla coast, not staying on boat. A poker run here and there, and just hauling ass sometimes. Although I've always fished, have always tweaked whatever I've had for the most speed, actual MPH not that important to me.
    What is a SVL... ?

10. Collapse Details

You could always get a PERFORMANCE ceanter console with a T-Top, andhave the best of both worlds!!!

http://www.midnightboats.com/

and others

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by brigbooth View Post
    What is a SVL... ?
    Super Vee Light, a racing class.

12. Collapse Details

Welcome!

13. Collapse Details

Welcome to the site.
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    You could always get a PERFORMANCE ceanter console with a T-Top, andhave the best of both worlds!!!

http://www.midnightboats.com/

and others

15. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you lay out the requirements of what your priorities are, we'll steer you in the right direction.

Speed in a big cruiser/performance boat, Black Thunder is my choice....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

16. Collapse Details

U guys are awesome, have ALWAYS admired the Cigs & Fountains from a distance. I live way up a river off Lake Pontchatrain in Louisiana, got enough depth for almost anything. Got BIG plans (in my head anyway). Thinking of loading up every so often and heading to ALA/Fla coast, not staying on boat. A poker run here and there, and just hauling ass sometimes. Although I've always fished, have always tweaked whatever I've had for the most speed, actual MPH not that important to me.
    What is a SVL... ?
    Brig, what river are you on? I grew up on Bayou Lacombe. Still keep my Proline out that way.

17. Collapse Details

What is a SVL... ?
    Welcome to the offshore/performance boat nut house.
    Based on your notes, I think a Donzi 33, Baja, (not my first choise) or a Formula 353, even a Sonic, will be ok for you. Nice creature comforts, planty of head room, and you be ok on the Poker Runs. I have a custom made bimini top on my Avanti, (which is up for grabs BTW, see classified) and I never used it yet. In general performance/offshore boats will not stand on the son too long. Party on the beach, party at a hotel, party at the docks and go like hell from A to B. I been cooked, broiled, drenched, lobsterised, soaked, and burnt, and I would do all of it again for 2 more MPH on the rig. Get a ride with one of us in a Poker Run and you will be hooked like the rest of us crazy nuts.

Then get a pilot's license, you will need at soon enough.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AV Air desk top.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	65019
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

18. Collapse Details

Liking what I hear so far, thank's so much guys. Think I'm gonna put my Yellowfin on the block soon.
    By U Boy, I live on the Bouge Falaya, off the Tchfeuncte. Spent many summers on Lacombe at my grandparents place, right next to the tressels, other side of the tracks from the old shipyard.Back in the day (80's) there was a dude Pat, had a yellow speed hull with the first loopcharged 225 Evinrude, coolest thing ever to a 12 year old. .

19. Collapse Details

Active Thunder is also a spacious boat, I was pretty surprised when I climbed into one at the Miami show a few years ago.

20. Collapse Details

Liking what I hear so far, thank's so much guys. Think I'm gonna put my Yellowfin on the block soon.
    By U Boy, I live on the Bouge Falaya, off the Tchfeuncte. Spent many summers on Lacombe at my grandparents place, right next to the tressels, other side of the tracks from the old shipyard.Back in the day (80's) there was a dude Pat, had a yellow speed hull with the first loopcharged 225 Evinrude, coolest thing ever to a 12 year old. .
    I remember that boat very well. He would always wheely it. If I recall correctly he flipped it a few time.
    I grew up on the cut directly accross from the house on the hill with all the ski boats.