Thread: 103 in an svl ?

Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley View Post
    I gotta agree, the scariest racing I have EVER done in 17 years of racing was in 75-80mph F1 boats hands down..... racing a 40' V bottom does not compare to racing something 30' and under......
    Absolutely. Hard to believe that the sport has sunk so low that there are people out there who actually say with a straight face that running around by yourself is harder than actually racing. Good freakin' grief.

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ron P's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    Ron ,,talking about not understanding ,,,,I DON,T UNDERSTAND WHY A GUY NEEDS TO CARRY A LAPTOP INTO HIS BOSSES RACE BOAT AT THE RACES ,,WITH A STOCK 525 ??
    ANY GUESS ,,,Maybe he is adjusting the bilge pump timer thing,??

DO THEY HONESTLY THINK THIS CLASS IS SLEEPING ,,,!!!!
    Seems like you guys are giving Octain a pass on the engine swap at LOTO. Would it have been the same - non event - status if the Doc pulled that move?

3. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
    Seems like you guys are giving Octain a pass on the engine swap at LOTO. Would it have been the same - non event - status if the Doc pulled that move?
    ..................DAM CHEATER
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nope.gif   CHEATER.gif  
    Last edited by MANITIE; 09-01-2010 at 12:24 PM.
    2009 Activator/ Powered by ILMOR
    #540 Boat Responsibly Racing
    Presented by your U.S. Coast Guard

4. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Ron ,,talking about not understanding ,,,,I DON,T UNDERSTAND WHY A GUY NEEDS TO CARRY A LAPTOP INTO HIS BOSSES RACE BOAT AT THE RACES ,,WITH A STOCK 525 ??
    ANY GUESS ,,,Maybe he is adjusting the bilge pump timer thing,??

DO THEY HONESTLY THINK THIS CLASS IS SLEEPING ,,,!!!!
    ron did you miss this
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

5. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    What would have been cool, would have been if all the SVL ran in the same "stock" class to see who really has the speed
    Dean that would be cool,,IF THEY DID THAT AT A RACE,,,,,,??

did you miss this too
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lance said he may do that, on the forums in open, months ago. It appeared as if it met all the rules. Which, it did.

There was no notification a class had been added to split up canopy Vee's of that length into seperate classes. The 525 is not considered a stock engine until this years event, and I cannot find out when it was added, still checking.

Some make way to much of stuff like this. It was a cool idea, it fell within the rules, (they were not disqualified, they won the class as originally spec'd and Doc won the "new" SVL class with "stock 525" engines), they are both safe, and it was kinda neat to watch (even the spin).

And to answer you Ron, the results would have been the same with the "players" on the opposite sides.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
    "tweaking or modifications" as in modifying a boat hull and deck so it fits a smaller class?
    Under the rules, if the only difference is "deleting" the swim platform, yes.....

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    What I don't understand is why Lance would register his boat as a 525 SVL for the Shootout, go through inspection and then go home and drop in an 800hp motor without telling the inspectors and changing classes. What was the game plan behind the engine swap?
    The engine swap was within the rules as originally posted. They were reviewed by multiple people before the swap. There was no such thing as an SVL class, it was a canopy Vee class within the 27' to 31' range. And the 525 is not a stock engine by rule until this SVL class was added, which wasn't published that anyone knew about.

The game plan was to have the fastest boat in the class, PV3M, and have fun. I wish I had known before the event, it would have been fun to know. They probably didn't trust my secret carrying abilities....

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
    Not sure I would agree with that one. Factory 1 had 20+ boats, all going side-by-side for turn one at a mere 81-83mph.
    Any lapse of "skill-judgement" and we look like "the big one" at the Pocono 500
    Quote Originally Posted by MANITIE View Post
    Yes....and we had a few of the Big Ones...and there was plenty of getting cut off....we just raced....

Gordo...hope to see ya again soon...I'm moving to NPR on Dec. 1....

Hope to see ya in K.W.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley View Post
    I gotta agree, the scariest racing I have EVER done in 17 years of racing was in 75-80mph F1 boats hands down..... racing a 40' V bottom does not compare to racing something 30' and under......
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    Running a 24 batboat in C5 will put hair on your ballz. I was never so happy to move to a 38 with suspension seats. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
    Absolutely. Hard to believe that the sport has sunk so low that there are people out there who actually say with a straight face that running around by yourself is harder than actually racing. Good freakin' grief.
    Morehead is someone who obviously has never been in a race or payed attention to what has happened over the years in racing and what some of these guys have accomplished.

10. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Morehead is someone who obviously has never been in a race or payed attention to what has happened over the years in racing and what some of these guys have accomplished.
    It seems to me Moorehead boater and Earthwerks are on exactly the same page.

Steve

11. Collapse Details

So from reading the last few pages of nonsense, I learned two things.

1. Doc's boat goes 93 or 94 depending on how accurate the radar was this year.
    2. It takes over 800 hp to make an SVL run over 100.

Hence, we can safely say that Doc's Fountain didn't run 103 in St Clair.

What I don't understand is why Lance would register his boat as a 525 SVL for the Shootout, go through inspection and then go home and drop in an 800hp motor without telling the inspectors and changing classes. What was the game plan behind the engine swap?

Ron you ran 93MPH with me in my boat during a race in 2003 with the early spec Vortec. Do you really believe that is all that boat has?

Steve

12. Collapse Details

Registered
    [QUOTE=mdkeywest;520364]
    Quote Originally Posted by moorehead boater View Post

As a 100 % SBI supporter ,I agree the moorehead race would be wonderfull to run an svl race .
    As far as the rest of youre post , ?
    told ya you were looney on that post . You need to go for a ride .

13. Collapse Details

Lance said he may do that, on the forums in open, months ago. It appeared as if it met all the rules. Which, it did.

There was no notification a class had been added to split up canopy Vee's of that length into seperate classes. The 525 is not considered a stock engine until this years event, and I cannot find out when it was added, still checking.

Some make way to much of stuff like this. It was a cool idea, it fell within the rules, (they were not disqualified, they won the class as originally spec'd and Doc won the "new" SVL class with "stock 525" engines), they are both safe, and it was kinda neat to watch (even the spin).

And to answer you Ron, the results would have been the same with the "players" on the opposite sides.
    the engine classification never changed. It has always been S, F, M and P.
    500 Hp, 500 efi, 525 has been Factory for over a decade. Nothing was changed. A modifiend N/A engine is in M class, that hasn't changed in probably 2 decades. No classes were changed, as a 525 would have always been in the F class. Octance was DQ'd out of that class and put in the correct M class.

Stock is for things like 496 Mag/HO, 502's, etc. The Factory class came from the need to seperate Mercury Racing products from true stock engines.

14. Collapse Details

Or he is a guy who runs around by himself in a big fast boat thinking that is really something.

15. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
    Or he is a guy who runs around by himself in a big fast boat thinking that is really something.
    Especially when they come by the finish /start line , With hands off the wheel !.
    One Time While explaining the talent it takes to do this and why I would love to participate in it to my wife !We see the driver in a high profile " OVER 30 ft " boat waving at his girlfreind thru the f-15 canopy .
    You cant do that in an svl . At least not the one I was being taught in .
    Last edited by mdkeywest; 09-01-2010 at 01:38 PM.

16. Collapse Details

ron did you miss this

No I didn't miss it. But I'm not clear on what you are saying...or implying?

Seems like you are implying someone is tampering with something in the boat. Correct? If so, why don't you guys swap ECM units right before the race?

I had to buy 20 ECMs from Merc Racing for the Cat Lite and 850 class because of rumors of the exact same thing. Call OSS and see if you can borrow a few.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    ...Stock is for things like 496 Mag/HO, 502's, etc. The Factory class came from the need to seperate Mercury Racing products from true stock engines.
    True. Years ago a few of us with actual F1 boats, a couple of F2 boats, and an original F3 boat got together with the Fire officials that ran the event and agreed that a stock/pleasure 454 or 502Mag was not a fair match for a Factory class HP500 boat. That was the year that V1-F1 and V2-F2 was created by the Lake Rescue officials. Later, they allowed the 525 to keep in line with Pro series classes.
    Abbysomeone

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Miklos View Post
    Ron you ran 93MPH with me in my boat during a race in 2003 with the early spec Vortec. Do you really believe that is all that boat has?

Steve
    I believe it runs 95 and the radar guns were slightly off as others have stated when compared to onboard GPS.

The point is....some sort of parity rules need to put in place for next year. I've offered George and a few others my thoughts in writing on how that could happen. I just suprized that no one is discussing how to fix the problem. George is implying that someone is cheating by changing the ECM settings right before the race, using a laptop. I don't believe this is true. I do believe the fountain hull is just a little faster and some form of Parity needs to be put in place. What happens when Outlimits builds a faster SVL? Or Fountain builds a second one that's faster than the first? Then we go through this all over again.

FIX IT NOW. You missed the chance to limit hulls to Phantoms and Extreme.

19. Collapse Details

I believe it runs 95 and the radar guns were slightly off as others have stated when compared to onboard GPS.

The point is....some sort of parity rules need to put in place for next year. I've offered George and a few others my thoughts in writing on how that could happen. I just suprized that no one is discussing how to fix the problem. George is implying that someone is cheating by changing the ECM settings right before the race, using a laptop. I don't believe this is true. I do believe the fountain hull is just a little faster and some form of Parity needs to be put in place. What happens when Outlimits builds a faster SVL? Or Fountain builds a second one that's faster than the first? Then we go through this all over again.

FIX IT NOW. You missed the chance to limit hulls to Phantoms and Extreme.
    How or why would you have an opinion on the legality of this boat?

Do you have direct experience with this boat?

Steve

20. Collapse Details

Registered
    Lot a smart guys on this thread . Really there are .
    Some from OPA, some from SBI . ( current entities )

I know many of you have tried and stumbled , been robbed , whatever . I agree . I've seen some pretty good work dissasembled by an elite few.

It WOULD be nice to see you put aside differences to work on this ONE class " SVL "
    No others .

No other changes in youre p- or # classes .
    Only " SVL " .

If I have read correctly P-1 wants out of the original agreement ?

The Teams seem to still be on board with something .

Would you ( SBI /OPA ) consider working something for next year ?

I know this question has to be answered over the next few months By them .

Great class . You should strive higher .

It was shown in LOTO that New hull's have no problem starting a new class ,and leaving " classic svl,s " behind.

There are more than enough of you to make that new class remain very small .