Thread: 103 in an svl ?

Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    103 in an svl ?
    Registered
    He warned you .

I still think an ilmore in the white boat could take it out .

2. Collapse Details

at how many rpms?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by baldtires View Post
    at how many rpms?

What ever a sealed 525 merc spins.. the boats just new technology and I hate to say it (Because I don't like Fountains) Just a better boat.

4. Collapse Details

For comparison, what are the Phantom's topping out at? 94-95..maybe 96 on a good day?

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    103 with a 7mph current and a tailwind?
    Boat-less...

6. Collapse Details

We actually saw 104 mph,
    coming home tho, the diesel was screamin, and it was a long down hill slope!!

7. Collapse Details

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.go-fast.com/boat_speed_predictions.htm

Just plug the numbers in:

An SVL at 103mph at 540 hp =

1. A hull factor better than a Doug Wright cat outboard? I don't think so, oh wait, what about cat killer, naw, its just known for doing ricer fly bys. it was never faster then any cat of similar power.

2. 5800 rpm or so. maybe, it doesnt sound like the other svl's thats for sure. I think any spec class should have an external memory tach in a lock box that an official checks as soon as the boats come back to the docks.

3. 590-625 hp knowing the Fountain weights 300lbs heavy. I think its strange that fountain has never been known to build a heavy boat, especially a race boat and the fountain svl is always way heavy. are they checking the ballast tanks, i didnt see them checked at st clair, for any of the vee lites

So who's lying? Im pretty decent at math, and physics don't lie.

8. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ILMORdude's Avatar
    someone build an svl with a V-10 already!
    ILMOR High Performance Marine
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

9. Collapse Details

(6) Currents for the following locations in the St. Clair River are given at high water flow of 230,000 cubic feet per second (cfs), medium water flow of 188,000 cfs, and low water flow of 130,000 cfs, respectively.
    (7) Algonac: 2.0 mph, 1.6 mph, and 1.3 mph.
    (8) Port Lambton: 2.0 mph, 1.7 mph, and 1.3 mph.
    (9) Marine City: 2.0 mph, 1.6 mph, and 1.3 mph.
    (10) St. Clair: 2.1 mph, 1.8 mph, and 1.4 mph.
    (11) Marysville: 1.9 mph, 1.6 mph, and 1.3 mph.
    (12) Point Edward: 3.9 mph, 3.3mph, and 2.5 mph

these are just averages, 7 mph seems to be a little high

10. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.go-fast.com/boat_speed_predictions.htm

Just plug the numbers in:

An SVL at 103mph at 540 hp =

1. A hull factor better than a Doug Wright cat outboard? I don't think so, oh wait, what about cat killer, naw, its just known for doing ricer fly bys. it was never faster then any cat of similar power.

2. 5800 rpm or so. maybe, it doesnt sound like the other svl's thats for sure. I think any spec class should have an external memory tach in a lock box that an official checks as soon as the boats come back to the docks.

3. 590-625 hp knowing the Fountain weights 300lbs heavy. I think its strange that fountain has never been known to build a heavy boat, especially a race boat and the fountain svl is always way heavy. are they checking the ballast tanks, i didnt see them checked at st clair, for any of the vee lites

So who's lying? Im pretty decent at math, and physics don't lie.
    The 525 is putting out over 570hp...
    and I have been hearing that some of the 13 year old SVL's are doing 96+
    and that the new Fountain is close to 100...so a brand new hull is not going to run 3 to 4 mph faster then a 13 year old hull....with all the new tech...

OR were you under the impression that if Fountain built a new hull with all the tech and testing he would only be as fast as the boats that are 10-15 years old that have had more work done on them they Joan Rivers....
    2009 Activator/ Powered by ILMOR
    #540 Boat Responsibly Racing
    Presented by your U.S. Coast Guard

11. Collapse Details

570hp - .05% drive loses = about 540 hp.

12. Collapse Details

Again..the boat is maybe 100mph boat...it was going down current which every team was 2 - 4 mph faster...

When we race against the Fountains in SV we needed to come out at 8k..the Fountains were coming out over 8500 - 8650lbs after the race....and they were heavy coming out...

The Imco boat which is over 10 years old is doing 96+....do the math...and thats old tech.....

Watch the Fountain run compaired to the Phantoms and Extremes...
    Last edited by MANITIE; 07-28-2010 at 08:34 PM.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ILMORdude View Post
    someone build an svl with a V-10 already!
    There still not letting you in yet?

14. Collapse Details

so the fountain picked up 8-9 mph from biloxi?

3.5 mile straights at biloxi vs 1.7 or so mile at st clair. i cant wait till the next race. is this the 200mph boat reggie has been talking about?

15. Collapse Details

3.5 mile straights at biloxi vs 1.7 or so mile at st clair. i cant wait till the next race. is this the 200mph boat reggie has been talking about?
    This is not my fight...but the Fountain was running 97 in Cumberland

Are you a SVL crew member..dont know were you get your info from but how much testing do you think this boat has had since Biloxi out of the box to race day in St Clair....just on Saturday alone they had to have changed props 4 or 5 times and set ups..

I am congratulating the Fountain that ran a great race with a 17 year old girl in it in her second race in a very tough class....and to keep sticking her noise in with the SV's in that little boat is a heck of a job.....

Boy the pouting has already started...
    Last edited by MANITIE; 07-28-2010 at 08:48 PM.

16. Collapse Details

Competitor

The boat was finished two day before Biloxi and a **** prop selection , so why is it so hard to believe that they picked up speed with all the changes they made . Brian tested 3-4 hrs fri and 2-3 on Sat in St Clair , I didnt see anyone else testing like that. He know what he needed for sunday and what his mission was. I would bet Brian has 40-50 test hrs on the boat by now if not more. You can also bet that Brian will get the boat even faster as time goes on,they arent even close to being done.

17. Collapse Details

im just a fan looking to get into the game. i get my info from talking to the teams, reading the forums, race officials, its not hard. show some interest and they will all tell you a lot. i dont dought the testing, im sure its had a lot. i have raced a lot of things and, been extremely competive in those race series, and nobody had made gains like this with out eventually being caught breaking the rules brand new ride or 5 year old, nobody made gains like this. thats why i dont understand why the winners of any spec class, be it fountain, phantom, extreme, etc dont get spec'd better after the races. why are the drives ratios not checked every race, rpms, ballast tanks, etc.

18. Collapse Details

im just a fan looking to get into the game. i get my info from talking to the teams, reading the forums, race officials, its not hard. show some interest and they will all tell you a lot. i dont dought the testing, im sure its had a lot. i have raced a lot of things and, been extremely competive in those race series, and nobody had made gains like this with out eventually being caught breaking the rules brand new ride or 5 year old, nobody made gains like this. thats why i dont understand why the winners of any spec class, be it fountain, phantom, extreme, etc dont get spec'd better after the races. why are the drives ratios not checked every race, rpms, ballast tanks, etc.
    SVL teams can protest any race team in there class....In Cumberland that was a OSS race site..and are you saying they did not do any tech inspection after the race..in the things you have mention...
    The only protest I heard of in SVL was 3 team protesting the line the Fountain took in turn 1 in St Clair..
    Are you saying that SVL teams had zero inspection in St Clair...
    If you listen to all the talk you will hear 10 differant stories...and it sounds like you will go right to cheating as the truth...
    You have a lot to learn if you don't think a new boat out of the box can gain 10 mph in 2 to 3 weeks...
    We ran the new Dragon in NY out of the box and it ran 92...not the wright props but it was a new boat we did not know what it would do...in 2 weeks with no were near the testing Fountain dose and has the access to props..we were running 101...
    And I'm sure you can talk to any manufacture in building a new hull what gains they get from day 1 to to 4 weeks of testing....
    But I think your off to the wrong start if your looking to get into Offshore Racing and you are already calling foul.....and you have never been there in this sport.....

Welcome to Offshore Racing...

19. Collapse Details

I agree with Baldtires.

The only way the Fountain was running 100 or 103 is if it is illegal!!!!!

The cat outboard that won only saw 103!!!

The problem with the class as of right now is there are no rules!!!!

With no rules there is no real way to tech!!!!

The class must get rules in place or continue to be the wild wild west!!!!

BTW, Its not all about top end speed. I remember Reggie III asking Joey how fast he was going in St. Clair in 06 cause he could not catch him. Joey was running 120 and Little R was doing 131 in Speed Racer and did not cacth Page racing and in those years you had almost 4 miles in straighaways.

In VL,

We never saw more than 93 and won every time we raced in St. Clair although the Kostalac brothers would do well into 94. That Fountain is accelarating well but IMCO accelarates just as well. Look at the start. Imco's bow is infront of the Fountain even though it was getting pushed away from his line,scrubbing speed.

Ballast tanks, ECMs, drive ratios can all be altered and nobody is checking.

Wil

20. Collapse Details

Gino,

No offense but how can you compare a Dragon to a Fountain?

Reggie is probably the smartest v guy in history. When his boats hit the race course they are dialed in. He is always trying to improve his product and does but the Fountain VL was running 93-95 in Beloxi. I will bet any $$ you can come up with that in legal trim there is no way that it will do 105.

Wil