Thread: 103 in an svl ?

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MANITIE View Post
    I don't want to stir the pot..so I hope this comment dose not....

But the tech as far as checking gear ratio's, empty ballast tanks, checking props, weight outs...are all pretty simple....it seems engine tech and aggressive driving is in questions.....

SVL with all Ilmors...let Ilmor do the sealing of the engines...and let them tech the engines...as far as checking gear ratios..all run a 1:50...weighting out and emptying ballast tanks are easy to check...and have a prop inspector....
    With Ilmor doing the IRL engines....you cant aske for more experiance in this type of Series....

Also have one of the Ilmor techs handle all protest of unsafe driving....

I still think the newer hulls will dominate...but from these comments being posted...it looks like the other SVL's are ok with that....and just want a safe racing enviorment...

I have said it before. I think Ilmor could build a equal to the current standard Merc 525. Somebody just needs to follow thru vs just talk and complain. Like Mercury or not it is the standard spec, and I don't see the class voting a Ilmor in with 50 more hp into class. Go buy the Y2 crazy phantom put your ilmor in it, detune it to a mercury 525 and ask to come an play.

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ryan Beckley's Avatar
    I am POSITIVE that if ILMOR was going to GIVE the motors to the entire class the SVL guys would step right up. Other than that, these guys and ladies aren't going to be spending big $$$$ to change motors....
    Ryan Beckley

3. Collapse Details

As far as tech goes in SVL, the only reason we have not pressed on this issue. Many of the boats have had modifications either to the hulls or power plants. When we ask the class rep what we are to enforce, the question is we are working on our rule book. No slam intended here, but I went through Bob Ownes notes. There are only 3 legal boats. The Fountain being one of them. As far as 101 in St Clair I think someone is confused. I paced that boat myself. I saw 100 down current. Actual speed would have been app 95. At the next OPA race we will enforce the class by the book. I expect to have more class 4 boats. Smitty
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing View Post
    As far as tech goes in SVL, the only reason we have not pressed on this issue. Many of the boats have had modifications either to the hulls or power plants. When we ask the class rep what we are to enforce, the question is we are working on our rule book. No slam intended here, but I went through Bob Ownes notes. There are only 3 legal boats. The Fountain being one of them. As far as 101 in St Clair I think someone is confused. I paced that boat myself. I saw 100 down current. Actual speed would have been app 95. At the next OPA race we will enforce the class by the book. I expect to have more class 4 boats. Smitty
    That may be true for Sunny Isles, but I provided Ron with a list. I had conversation with Bob Owens on what we wanted teched. Once again top 3 ecm pulled, gear ratio, weight,4750 and a p-g because bob-t had one.

I would have to disagree on the bottom of the Fountain. Grinding 3 foot of gel off the back half and adding 3/8 rocker to the bottom goes beyond blueprinting.

I can see where this is going. I will throw myself under the bus. Since our class adopted the OSS rule book until ours is finished.

We did an infield repair to our motor per OSS rules, and acknowledgment of tech. Requesed OSS place there seals on motor. Still has the same seals Bob put on in 2008. Our bottom has been sanded.

I will throw George next. Per Oss hull rules extension not used to make lenght. and not an movable areo device. think MTI cats. Device on bottom has been removed. As for the bottom there is no 3/8 rocker in it I measured it to.

Pirate no issue that I know of

Ocatane had one issue that Bob said he interpited as legal.

Randy In honesty I think randy made his boat boat more legal by removing the strakes the were adding. Deck was cut down so he could see out. 6 years later I think it would be grandfathered.

Oh for fun I will throw the Fountain under the bus. Open engine hatch before tech and crane out. Big No No per OSS rules

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar 104 View Post
    I have said it before. I think Ilmor could build a equal to the current standard Merc 525. Somebody just needs to follow thru vs just talk and complain. Like Mercury or not it is the standard spec, and I don't see the class voting a Ilmor in with 50 more hp into class. Go buy the Y2 crazy phantom put your ilmor in it, detune it to a mercury 525 and ask to come an play.
    Mark....I hope you don't think I'm trying to stir the pot....I was just thinking if the engine teck will be a problem that the Ilmor would be the best way to go....

If the Ilmor is let in we will build a new boat....they even have there 575...
    The problem I'm seeing even from Smitty posts...is there seems to be changes to even powerplants to some of the boats...and if thats the case...
    There is going to be a problem in the furture..

There are always differant stories....

If OPA inforces the rules...all but 3 SVL's will be DQ as to current rules..becuase of hull mods and engine mods....

Good luck...

I'm sure once the new rule book is out....it will get better...
    2009 Activator/ Powered by ILMOR
    #540 Boat Responsibly Racing
    Presented by your U.S. Coast Guard

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Sounds like the subject is getting changed.. The dispute last weekend is not about tech or speeds it was about the start.. Smitty instructed the racers Sunday morning , " the way we do it here is we hold our starting lanes through turn one."

That is the issue at last weekends race that needs a ruling.. There is plenty of time to talk about next race after this is resolved.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley View Post
    I am POSITIVE that if ILMOR was going to GIVE the motors to the entire class the SVL guys would step right up. Other than that, these guys and ladies aren't going to be spending big $$$$ to change motors....
    I'm not talking about giving motors away...but...if there are going to be questionalble motors...which there seems to always be...and alot of these motors are getting old..and need a rebuild...thats way I brought it up..
    Its what 8k-9k for a rebuild at Merc....and what support are they providing for racers...and what support are they going to provided in the furture...

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Sounds like the subject is getting changed.. The dispute last weekend is not about tech or speeds it was about the start.. Smitty instructed the racers Sunday morning , " the way we do it here is we hold our starting lanes through turn one."

That is the issue at last weekends race that needs a ruling.. There is plenty of time to talk about next race after this is resolved.
    Jim thats what I thought was the only protest...not about tech or how fast the Fountain was...

But the topic in this thread...is SVL 103? and how it got there...

9. Collapse Details

Mark....I hope you don't think I'm trying to stir the pot....I was just thinking if the engine teck will be a problem that the Ilmor would be the best way to go....

If the Ilmor is let in we will build a new boat....they even have there 575...
    The problem I'm seeing even from Smitty posts...is there seems to be changes to even powerplants to some of the boats...and if thats the case...
    There is going to be a problem in the furture..

There are always differant stories....

If OPA inforces the rules...all but 3 SVL's will be DQ as to current rules..becuase of hull mods and engine mods....

Good luck...

I'm sure once the new rule book is out....it will get better...
    Our motor was repaired not modded.

As far as the bottoms Has Smitty been under them with a straight edge and a tape. I have, and I know 2 other who have to with pictures. Smitty is going on what somebody told him just like half of this thread. I understand the position Smitty is in. At the end of the day its Smittys sand box and he can do what he wants to

10. Collapse Details

Jim thats what I thought was the only protest...not about tech or how fast the Fountain was...

But the topic in this thread...is SVL 103? and how it got there...
    Its the internet it kills offshore racing just as fast as rich guys and egos

11. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ron P's Avatar
    That may be true for Sunny Isles, but I provided Ron with a list. I had conversation with Bob Owens on what we wanted teched. Once again top 3 ecm pulled, gear ratio, weight,4750 and a p-g because bob-t had one.

Is this the email you are reffering to? I asked for your rule book and this is the reply.

---------
    Ron,

Going by OSS specs enforcing weight 4750, 1.5 gear ratio, prop tech. same
    as Sunny Isles.

The rule at the end of the day, is what is best for the class, and fair racing.

Mark
    --------

Don't you think it's time to write a rule book for SVL? Maybe OPA needs to do it for you.

12. Collapse Details

As far as the bottoms Has Smitty been under them with a straight edge and a tape. I have, and I know 2 other who have to with pictures. Smitty is going on what somebody told him just like half of this thread. I understand the position Smitty is in. At the end of the day its Smittys sand box and he can do what he wants to
    Mark....you don't need to get pissed at me...I did not know you guys can repair your own engines now....it was always had to be Merc....you could not repair your own engines...

You guys have changed the rules....and broken your rules...

But at the end of the day, if your rules are whatever is best for the class and fair racing....then thats on you....and you can't complain OPA on enforcing anything.....

The safety issue I can see....other then that...
    Last edited by MANITIE; 07-29-2010 at 01:27 PM.

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Lets try to stay on track here.. 103? hear say!!

All this discussion of tech and rules is distracting from the issue at hand..The start of the last race.

Lets all relax and wait to hear what Smitty has to say about the outcome and the start of the last race.

14. Collapse Details

sounds like a plan, but on offshore only there is a thread where Ron P states this "Results and standings are posted on www.oparacingtour.comofficial results." i think its a done deal.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Lets try to stay on track here.. 103? hear say!!

All this discussion of tech and rules is distracting from the issue at hand..The start of the last race.

Lets all relax and wait to hear what Smitty has to say about the outcome and the start of the last race.
    Your right Jimmy I will shut my mouth till I hear the ruling. Everything else is trival. I am better than this.

16. Collapse Details

We have gone through a pile of photos, and are looking at the video today. A decision will be made by the end of the day. An Email will go out to the teams.

By the way, thanks for attending St Clair. Sometimes we forget in all the caios to thanks the teams. Smitty
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

17. Collapse Details

Mark, actually I am going by what I know.
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing View Post
    Mark, actually I am going by what I know.

I know,

I'm just a diehard conservitive rule book reader. If a rule is writing, or spoken I follow it to a T the best I can. I have taken many for the team to insure fair racing. I will take another for justice.

19. Collapse Details

All I can say is wow! Do you guys have fun racing? Don't sound like it. When I said 103mph. It was what we were doing along side of them. We caught them and pulled, but they were close to that speed and way faster than anyother SVL we passed.

A better boat/team has come out to play and it looks like C-4 will be getting bigger

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    When I said 103mph. It was what we were doing along side of them. We caught them and pulled, but they were close to that speed and way faster than anyother SVL we passed.
    So now they were "close to that speed"?
    I'd rather be on the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with my boat on the rocks.