Thread: 103 in an svl ?

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

These are some pretty heavy acusations being thrown around. I was not there, and did not see the race. But I have spent the last 8 years living in Washington, NC. And I can tell you they test the race boats all the time! This is not their first rodeo. These guys are multiple time champions, and race winners due to hard work and R&D! Are they cheating...............maybe..............did they find some thing..............I'm sure they did. I'll be the first to tell you when it comes to SVL I wave the IMCO flag, but if the other teams are gonna beat the Fountin, they better get to work!!
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil Ros View Post
    Gino,

No offense but how can you compare a Dragon to a Fountain?

Reggie is probably the smartest v guy in history. When his boats hit the race course they are dialed in. He is always trying to improve his product and does but the Fountain VL was running 93-95 in Beloxi. I will bet any $$ you can come up with that in legal trim there is no way that it will do 105.

Wil
    Wil no offence taken...but I was responding to how a boat can gain8 -9 mph with all the testing Fountain dose...
    If the Fountain was running 93-94 in Biloxi...are you saying Brian could not find 5-6 mph in 3 months...

But how dose the Imco boat run 96 mph when new it could not even do anywere near those numbers...If the IMCO boat can run these speeds, are you saying that a new SVL Fountain could not be faster then a old boat...no offence George..but the boat has been around the block quite a few times

Wil..If I came to you 10-12 years ago and told you I want you to build a SVL and I want it to run 96-97mph....you would have said your nuts...but now these old boats arw running them..

The Under Destuction boat came in behind the Fountain around 12-14 seconds ...and was chine walking a lot....if the Fountain was doing 103 that means U/D should have at least been seeing 98-99 at least a few times....any word how fast they said they seen...

How dose the 29 Extreme run 84+ with a 496 when most of the other F1 with 525 could not hit that number...

When did your SVL's start running 95+....You have been doing this for a long time...and your SVL's have been around also for a long time...why are the boats running faster now then ever...
    Last edited by MANITIE; 07-29-2010 at 09:53 AM.
    2009 Activator/ Powered by ILMOR
    #540 Boat Responsibly Racing
    Presented by your U.S. Coast Guard

3. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ILMORdude's Avatar
    Gino,

Reggie is probably the smartest v guy in history. When his boats hit the race course they are dialed in...........Wil
    See Fountain Worldwide in P1 a few yrs back..............
    Total Beatdown overseas!!! That was fun being a part of, and they had rules
    ILMOR High Performance Marine
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

4. Collapse Details

Also.....why is there no rules...
    SVL always had rules...who changed that..
    Spec class racing always had tech inspection after the race...
    Even in F1 they checked weight,pull plugs, no ballest, gear ratio, skek thicness,
    I thought the SVL owners voted on these things...

5. Collapse Details

Gino,

Thats a good question.

I have never ever seen 94 in my boat but I also never had to find more speed. I will tell you this. Our boat never gained or lost a tenth of a mile since our first race. Some of the teams are setting their boats for flat water and that is something we never did or will do. I believe that the Fountain has raised the bar . IMO, Its all in the testing. Those guys do their homework while the rest of the fleet wax thier boats.

Wil

6. Collapse Details

I am not saying that he will always win but what I am saying is that he will find a way to win. The facts are the facts, Reggie is the most successful Boat builder in history period.

He has bigger nuts than anybody I have met. Remember he was in the boat at 180+ in a v bottom!!!

In my book, there will never be anybody like Reggie.

Wil

7. Collapse Details

Registered
    How is the Watch Your Back Boat gaining speed?

T-4: Testing , Testing, Testing and Testing

I saw that boat here testing in the big water, before Sunny Isles,,,
    and they were prepared for that OPA race,,,,,,

My buddie at LOTO, watched that fountain SVL being tested for a couple of weeks in early July,,,, ( and they were detained by the water patrol a couple of times!!)

Last weekend, I bet they ran over 50 laps testing over two days,,,,,,,,
    I passed them driving out to the highway for fuel a ( 3 Times) ,,,,,

The fountain team does there home work and tests more than any other boat that I have seen at an event,, Hope the fleet comes to our SBI event in September,,,,

Remember Key West ( 09) , Doc-Brain had that Stampede boat out there testing from opening to close,,, and eventually won on the last day with a perfect set up,,,,,,,,,,

Hats off to the Fountain,,,,, being prepared in a tough class,

"Those that fail to prepare are preparing to fail"

8. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    Are you saying that SVL teams had zero inspection in St Clair...

That is what happened.

I got an email from Ron last week asking what would be tech list.

List provided.

Long conversation with Bob Owens on Friday on what we wanted tech ed. We agreed on pulling top 3 ecm for testing, ballast inspection, gear ratio and added p+g because Bob T had one. Never happened. I have not had a change to ask Bob O why not. FACT.

Than there is the story on the inspection refusal at sunny isles.

9. Collapse Details

I am not saying that he will always win but what I am saying is that he will find a way to win. The facts are the facts, Reggie is the most successful Boat builder in history period.

He has bigger nuts than anybody I have met. Remember he was in the boat at 180+ in a v bottom!!!

In my book, there will never be anybody like Reggie.

Wil
    I agree

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar 104 View Post
    Are you saying that SVL teams had zero inspection in St Clair...

That is what happened.

I got an email from Ron last week asking what would be tech list.

List provided.

Long conversation with Bob Owens on Friday on what we wanted tech ed. We agreed on pulling top 3 ecm for testing, ballast inspection, gear ratio and added p+g because Bob T had one. Never happened. I have not had a change to ask Bob O why not. FACT.

Than there is the story on the inspection refusal at sunny isles.
    Mark..so the SVL's do have inspections....but just not in St Clair.....that interesting....

The boat looked good....if you don't mined saying...what type of speeds did you see on the back side...

Thanks for the info...
    Last edited by MANITIE; 07-29-2010 at 12:08 AM.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MANITIE View Post
    Mark..so the SVL's do have inspections....but just not in St Clair.....that interesting....

The boat looked good....if you don't mined stating...what type of speeds did you see on the back side...

Thanks for the info...
    We were inspected in Sunny Isles.

Speed 89-90 peak up river, down river peak 94.8 weighed out 4820 spun a 31 T- up 5 blade prop nothing on the table

Side note 15 races 1 DNF I think we come prepared.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by moorehead boater View Post
    How is the Watch Your Back Boat gaining speed?

T-4: Testing , Testing, Testing and Testing

I saw that boat here testing in the big water, before Sunny Isles,,,
    and they were prepared for that OPA race,,,,,,

My buddie at LOTO, watched that fountain SVL being tested for a couple of weeks in early July,,,, ( and they were detained by the water patrol a couple of times!!)

Last weekend, I bet they ran over 50 laps testing over two days,,,,,,,,
    I passed them driving out to the highway for fuel a ( 3 Times) ,,,,,

The fountain team does there home work and tests more than any other boat that I have seen at an event,, Hope the fleet comes to our SBI event in September,,,,

Remember Key West ( 09) , Doc-Brain had that Stampede boat out there testing from opening to close,,, and eventually won on the last day with a perfect set up,,,,,,,,,,

Hats off to the Fountain,,,,, being prepared in a tough class,

"Those that fail to prepare are preparing to fail"
    So than how come was Docs boat was so far out of the running at the Detroit gold cup? He had 5 heat races to get it right. And sound was just not the same as this weekend? A stock car/dragcar guys ears pick that kinda stuff up. We are not stupid. and there not fooling anyone other than some morons on the internet.
    Last edited by Dunbar 104; 07-29-2010 at 01:16 AM.

13. Collapse Details

I believe

14. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    I will guarantee or bet you the Fountain has less test miles than we do.

Tech needs to be rigorous and exacting in SVL or the rules need to relaxed so everyone has the same opportunities. I have raced for Reggie in a Fountain all he ever says is the "The man with the Gold make the rules" (barf).

From the reports I have had the antics on the race course took SVL to a new low. Concerning tech it is not easy or cheap (Bob Owen is a good qualified guy, but only one guy with somewhat limited resources). I like the idea of an inspector who is rewarded financially based on infractions discovered.
    Steve

This is not a Slam on OPA their model is P class racing and they do it well. The SVL's bring new tech challenges and little revenue. If we became a fixture at OPA perhaps we can persuade them to put in a scrutinizing process for us.

I have no faith in Martin bringing equality to the playing field as he has a conflict of interest and a personal relationship with the team in question.
    Last edited by Steve Miklos; 07-29-2010 at 08:03 AM.

15. Collapse Details

Right now that class has more issue with a driver.

Fact same driver was involved in 3 incidents in one race weekend at St Clair. I was told 1 more incident 2 weeks ago at a poker run resulting, with same driver getting punched in the face. Than Key West last year. Works for the same company were 2 drivers got banned for life. I sense a pattern.

Talk to anyone who has raced with me

I was put in danger, my wife was put in danger, and another team also.

Everyone at the drivers meeting heard mantain lane thru turn one, stay to the left of the channel markers. The pace boat saw it all.

If you think this is about the boat being a Fountain hull. Wrong again I have defended it more than anyone saying, I would not expect anything less from Fountain.

16. Collapse Details

Thanks for the info Mark....

Any chance for SVL to have there own tech inspector that can travel to the SVL races...

17. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar 104 View Post
    Right now that class has more issue with a driver.

Fact same driver was involved in 3 incidents in one race weekend at St Clair. I was told 1 more incident 2 weeks ago at a poker run resulting, with same driver getting punched in the face. Than Key West last year. Works for the same company were 2 drivers got banned for life. I sense a pattern.

Talk to anyone who has raced with me

I was put in danger, my wife was put in danger, and another team also.

Everyone at the drivers meeting heard mantain lane thru turn one, stay to the left of the channel markers. The pace boat saw it all.

If you think this is about the boat being a Fountain hull. Wrong again I have defended it more than anyone saying, I would not expect anything less from Fountain.
    With the driver working for Fountain P1 USA will never act out to remove the "danger" from the race course. The reality is P1 needs to handle this issue also and they need to act to insure the racers and spectators are safe from such antics where ever P1 races.
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Miklos; 07-29-2010 at 09:54 AM.

18. Collapse Details

I don't want to stir the pot..so I hope this comment dose not....

But the tech as far as checking gear ratio's, empty ballast tanks, checking props, weight outs...are all pretty simple....it seems engine tech and aggressive driving is in questions.....

SVL with all Ilmors...let Ilmor do the sealing of the engines...and let them tech the engines...as far as checking gear ratios..all run a 1:50...weighting out and emptying ballast tanks are easy to check...and have a prop inspector....
    With Ilmor doing the IRL engines....you cant aske for more experiance in this type of Series....

Also have one of the Ilmor techs handle all protest of unsafe driving....

I still think the newer hulls will dominate...but from these comments being posted...it looks like the other SVL's are ok with that....and just want a safe racing enviorment...

19. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by ILMORdude View Post
    someone build an svl with a V-10 already!
    (hhhmmm ) toss one in the white boat ,see what happens .

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MANITIE View Post
    Thanks for the info Mark....

Any chance for SVL to have there own tech inspector that can travel to the SVL races...

The last 3 years there has not been a problem. Our first year our boat went thru the ringer and have no issue with that. It is open for anyone to look at. In the past if there was someone with a problem. We all talked about it and it got resolved.

Bob Owens is doing fine. He just needs some more test equipment, and the authority to DQ someone that refuses inspections.

Our class will have to get some things in writing first. We are getting our ducks in a row right now. I do not like hearing rumors of the Lawyer card being played.

If anyone wants to talk about the class, or has a problem with me just call. I just ask you don't lie to me, or bully me, it makes me upset.
    Last edited by Dunbar 104; 07-29-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: sp