Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Awsome! Keep up the good work bud!

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

2. Collapse Details

Wow, some project!
    Nice to see the old ride being taken care of.

3. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Rick,

Looks like it's keeping you busy. Can't wait to see it when it's done. Are you going to repower?

By the way, thanks again for getting me into that AMF tour. Their shop is awesome.

Bill
    William (Bill) Love, SA
    Marine Surveyor
    www.lovemarinesurvey.com

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    If you guys want to donate the motor and rigging I am game
    give me a call if you need help with the rigging......

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Love Machine View Post
    Rick,

Looks like it's keeping you busy. Can't wait to see it when it's done. Are you going to repower?

By the way, thanks again for getting me into that AMF tour. Their shop is awesome.

Bill
    Bill,

no repower for now, the stock 250 EFI gets me where I need to be, maybe a 300 down the road. It was nice meeting you, and wish we could have hung out more, but school is school, gotta be responsible. No problem with the AMF tour, the shop is open to everyone, Scott is the one who should be thanked for that.

Rick

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thedonz View Post
    give me a call if you need help with the rigging......
    You got it guys, but ya know I try to do all my own tricks, 'til I get stumped

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    You got it guys, but ya know I try to do all my own tricks, 'til I get stumped
    Someone told me you were a gigolo, but I said...Rick?...no way!. Guess I was wrong, lol.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OneBadInjun View Post
    Someone told me you were a gigolo, but I said...Rick?...no way!. Guess I was wrong, lol.
    Guess I didnt read that before I posted it

9. Collapse Details

Got the wood in yesterday, here are a few pics.

1, 2 layers of 3/4 glassed together
    2, trimmed
    3, dry fit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20.jpg   21.jpg   22.jpg  

10. Collapse Details

1, dry-fit 2
    2, clamped in
    3, clamped in 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 23.jpg   24.jpg   25.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

Man this is down right inspiring! I sure do wish I had a back yard, a flat driveway and the free time to dive in on my 24 like that! I still haven't finished the cabin floor, but I'm going to do the impellors, drive oil and trim pump motor this weekend and start mocking up the ski pole.

Someday I'll dig in and do the complete resto that the boat really wants. Who'd have thought two boats could be such a pain in the ass!?

12. Collapse Details

Oh yah, and I dig the idea of going with the silver/grey. And just out of curiosity, why purple?

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! View Post
    Man this is down right inspiring! I sure do wish I had a back yard, a flat driveway and the free time to dive in on my 24 like that! I still haven't finished the cabin floor, but I'm going to do the impellors, drive oil and trim pump motor this weekend and start mocking up the ski pole.

Someday I'll dig in and do the complete resto that the boat really wants. Who'd have thought two boats could be such a pain in the ass!?
    Thanks,

I dont have much of a yard though, the boat is kept on the side of the house, this is what we call "zero lot line" in Florida, 16 feet on one side, and ZERO on the other. Those sawhorses arent in the back yard, that is the front I do have a decent backyard for south FL, but it is mosly covered in patios, and landscaping. I did mine in stages somewhat also, I always knew it needed this work, but after 3 years of work, decided to get it out on the water for a few years before digging back into it. That purple wasnt supposed to be quite that color, the original color was supposed to be a metallic silver with a purple tint, and the boat was to be named "Purple Haze", but the original mix didnt work out, then I only had so much material left, and this is what I ended up with, once it was mixed it kinda just went down, and grew on me for a whilegetting tired of it now. Supposed to be a great weekend weatherwise, so look for more updates throughout the weekend, maybe I will take the laptop outside, and post real time

14. Collapse Details

Got a little work done today, got the 1708 in, and started to grind the outside to do the fill in tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P4130007.jpg   P4130008.jpg   P4130009.jpg  

P4130010.jpg   P4130011.jpg  

15. Collapse Details

All cleaned up, I will work on the outside tomorrow, and hopefully have enough time to get back to the inside and get the knees installed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P4130012.jpg   P4130013.jpg   P4130014.jpg  

P4130015.jpg  

16. Collapse Details

Rick, I need to ask a question. It looks (at least from the pics) that there are air pockets in the glass to the wood. Looks like you can see where it was rolled out.
    Is this OK, or is the pic deceiving? Don't take it the wrong way, I'm not bagging on you at all, just trying to learn.
    I did some glass work on the underside of my hatch, and the glass was being really stubborn to conform tightly to the form I was trying to make it take.
    I'm not pleased with the outcome, and will likely be grinding and looking at a do-over.
    Also, when replacing the transom, how tight should the fit be to the hullsides, and the bottom itself?
    I was formerly a trim carpenter, and am used to scribing in pieces the are tight enough to not allow the corner of a piece of paper slip through. I understand that the glass is where the strength is, but what is considered an acceptable gap?
    Looks like your bustin' away on the project, keep the pics coming.
    Like I said, I only ask because I want to learn.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

17. Collapse Details

So far A+ on a job well done!
    Is that saw dust filling around the edges of the transom?
    If so who told you about it? It must have been an old timer.
    Now I use a putty that is called "hull and deck" real tough stuff. Nothing wrong w/ the sawdust, that stuff dries like a rock!!!
    Later,
    pp.

18. Collapse Details

Nice for you to get a pat on the back from The Man, that should make you feel good and keep you inspired!

19. Collapse Details

The pics are alittle deceiving, the glass is as wet as it would get, kept rolling and rolling. this 1708 is tough stuff to wet out. There are no air pockets, some spots didnt look as wet as I would have liked them, but they were wet, stuck great, and hard as a rock this morning. I lied in the above post, thats not actually done, I have one more layer to add this morning. As far as the fit, it does not have to fit real tight, but should follow the same shape as your hull, so that the gap is consistent. If you put the wood all the way to the edge, there will be no bond on the sides. I went with approx. a 1/4" gap, and filled with the putty Pepe is talking about, there is more high tech things nowadays, but the sawdust putty Pepe had put in mine was the only thing taht survived, so that is what I went back with, mixed with and added some techie stuff for good measure.

Rick
    Last edited by rchevelle71; 03-14-2010 at 10:07 AM.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JO - PANTERABOAT View Post
    So far A+ on a job well done!
    Is that saw dust filling around the edges of the transom?
    If so who told you about it? It must have been an old timer.
    Now I use a putty that is called "hull and deck" real tough stuff. Nothing wrong w/ the sawdust, that stuff dries like a rock!!!
    Later,
    pp.

Thanks Pepe,

The putty is a mix of resin, cabosil, milled fibers, and sawdust. I wasnt going to use the sawdust(due to it being old school), even though I had been saving it up in the garage for years, but when I tore apart the old transom, I could tell what you had used, and you are right, that stuff gets like cement. I had made a comment in a previous post about seaming the wood on one layer, and I have to apologize, when I talked to my glass guy(a ,ocal we all know), he said this is OK, and normal practice, although I chose o go with solid pieces. When I am done, people arent going to believe it is a Pantera when they see it from the back, since it will be one of a kind.

Rick