Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Rick, how will you be templating for the new transom material?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OneBadInjun View Post
    Rick, how will you be templating for the new transom material?
    Not sure yet, Between the 2 layers of old 3/4 inch plywood, there is what seems to be like 1/8 inch thick of glass. If I can get that out clean, I will use that. If not, I will make a carboard template, transfer that to a piece of 1/4" regular plywood that is cut slightly oversize, then trim the template to fit. Then transfer that template to the 1/2" marine ply.

3. Collapse Details

I cut some 2x4's down into strips and used that to use as a template. One reason is it was more sturdy than cardboard. The other, was that then my template was as thick as what my transom was going to be with two sheets of 3/4" ply.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    I cut some 2x4's down into strips and used that to use as a template. One reason is it was more sturdy than cardboard. The other, was that then my template was as thick as what my transom was going to be with two sheets of 3/4" ply.
    I guess that would work, how did you secure them to each other, I'm not picturing it??? The cardboard is just to get me started. That will then be transferred to a sheet of 1/4" ply, cut slightly oversize, and custom fit, and the ply will be used as the template. I'll be out digging at it this weekend, watch for more pics sunday

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    I guess that would work, how did you secure them to each other, I'm not picturing it??? The cardboard is just to get me started. That will then be transferred to a sheet of 1/4" ply, cut slightly oversize, and custom fit, and the ply will be used as the template. I'll be out digging at it this weekend, watch for more pics sunday
    Wow, so Sunday night we get the dirty nasty pictures of her all stripped down and naked!!!
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

6. Collapse Details

Don't waste your time with the cardboard & the 1/4" plywood. Here's a little trick I learned in Nam. Go buy yourself a sheet(or two) of doorskin at Homo Depot. Rip it into 2" wide strips on a table saw, lengthwise. Using a hot glue gun, lay the strips up against your hullsides, inside transom bottom, etc., and glue them together as you go. Just break the strips over your knee, to the approximate length of each section you need. This method gives you an accurate, and fast template, to trace onto your two sheets of 3/4" ply. What bedding compound, into the transom, will you be going with?
    Last edited by OneBadInjun; 02-20-2010 at 04:25 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Screws and a staple gun. The main pieces I ripped into about 3/4" wide. Then some 3/8" wide strips to use in the corners for holding things together. I still have it, I'll take a pic of it today.

OneBadInjun's idea is pretty good, I'd just be worried I would smack it on the hull-side dragging it out and have to start all over...

8. Collapse Details

Got the old sealer off the transom today, and started the cutting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3230116.jpg   P3230117.jpg   P3230118.jpg  

9. Collapse Details

Got all of the cuts made, now I need to go inside, and split where the deck is bonded to the hull.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3230119.jpg   P3230120.jpg   P3230121.jpg  

P3230122.jpg  

10. Collapse Details

Got the deck split, and the transom is definite mush Got some of the mush removed, will finish up the removal next weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3240123.jpg   P3240124.jpg   P3240125.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

Yeah, it needed done.
    What kind of condition are the ends of those stringers?
    Let the fun begin!

12. Collapse Details

Got the deck split, and the transom is definite mush Got some of the mush removed, will finish up the removal next weekend.
    WOW, I know how that feels to be at that stage... Its looking good.
    As for templates, I did arts & craft time. Some poster board, Strips of card board, and a hot glug gun.. It worked great. I started with the wood strips but quickly jumped over to the poster board..

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    Yeah, it needed done.
    What kind of condition are the ends of those stringers?
    Let the fun begin!

Yup,

probably getting stringers too, I was planning on putting knees in anyway, so I'll just replace the stringers up to the fuel tank area, its just wood, glass and time

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by J-Bonz View Post
    WOW, I know how that feels to be at that stage... Its looking good.
    As for templates, I did arts & craft time. Some poster board, Strips of card board, and a hot glug gun.. It worked great. I started with the wood strips but quickly jumped over to the poster board..
    Good idea,

I'll give it a shot.

15. Collapse Details

Got busy today, and got the wood out, counted 48 holes that were doweled up from previous owners efforts Also, the first layer of wood(closest to the outside) was seamed at an angle, not sure if this was original, or someone elses attempt at a transom(although I did one years ago like that on a 15 foot checkmate, and was told thats the way to do it from the outside), but with this much work, why would you want to cheap out on the wood
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3310126.jpg   P3310145.jpg   P3310146.jpg  

P3310147.jpg  

16. Collapse Details

Seeing as there is only room for a cooler back there now, although it IS a big cooler I was at peanut Island one day rafted up to a 25 warlock, and 32 Skater, and I seemed to be the supply boat, was kinda funny, smallest boat threw the anchor, supplied towels, noodles, and drinks to others
    you gotta let me know if you are going to peanut island again. The boat I work on is docked in front of the owners house on PGA, so I am only 5 min away by water. I could bring the party barge. it is ugly as sin, but it can hold a lot of beer and people. http://www.hbiboats.com/35photo_gallery.html

17. Collapse Details

Congratulations Rik!! You have one helluva a mess on your hands...
    I feel your pain Bro, can't wait to see the progress pics of her coming back together. One thing you have going for you is that these boats don't die. Ever. They just need some sprucing up now and again.
    Keep us posted!

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Perlmudder View Post
    you gotta let me know if you are going to peanut island again. The boat I work on is docked in front of the owners house on PGA, so I am only 5 min away by water. I could bring the party barge. it is ugly as sin, but it can hold a lot of beer and people. http://www.hbiboats.com/35photo_gallery.html
    We will definitely be back, sometime this summer, depends on how carried away I get remodeling this thing

19. Collapse Details

Are you going to leave it like the stock setup or are you going to run it with flat transom put a bracket on it and run a sun pad?

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaross97 View Post
    Are you going to leave it like the stock setup or are you going to run it with flat transom put a bracket on it and run a sun pad?
    I will be closing off the motor well for sure, not sure the extent of how far I am going to take it, depends in time and $$.