Thread: Truck Upgrades?

1. Collapse Details
    Truck Upgrades?
    I'm looking at going to a bigger boat and am trying to avoid buying a new truck. I have a 2005 Avalanche 2500, 4X4, 8.1, 4.10 gears. It is a great truck, loaded with nav, leather, etc., is paid for and has 40K miles on it, pretty much all towing the boat. It's never been a daily driver and other than slightly faded cladding, is in like new condition.

I did go from stock 28"/29" tires to 35" tires but haven't changed gears or even bought a reprogramer like Hypertech. I am pulling a 29 Baja Outlaw on a triple axle steel trailer and it does just fine.

I have looked into active suspensions and airbags. Which is better or should I get both? I don't really have any sag now but a larger boat may put more weight on the tongue.

Should I go to 4.56 or higher gear?

If I go bigger boat it will be on an aluminum trailer with elec/hydr brakes and probably go weight dist hitch.

If I don't get a bigger boat I will still get a new aluminum trailer with elec/nydr brakes.

Any other suggestions?

2. Collapse Details

I guess my first question is how big are you planning to go. I'm pretty sure your truck is rated to pull 12k.

I'm currently throwing around some ideas to upgrade my truck so that it can tow a little better. The first thing I did was replace the stock shocks with a set of Bilsteins. This was more for everyday driving since my stockers felt a little soft (after only 25k!). The ride was better/stiffer, but I also noticed a difference in the way it towed....much less "bounce back" from the trailer when going through a bumpy section of road, and I think it sagged just a little bit less with the trailer hooked up. The next thing I plan to do is add bags (Airlift but I think you may want to go with the Firestones for your truck), which I have heard will make a big difference while towing. Lastly I plan to add a new set of heavy duty brakes (up for new ones anyway), which should help some, but they won't take the place of the electric breaks on your trailer. I'm not using a weight dist hitch, but most people would agree that will only help, considerably.

I don't think you need to upgrade the gears. I looked into that when I bought my truck. I couldn't find the truck I wanted with the gears that I was looking for so I looked into buying a truck with the lower ratio and just getting new geards installed. It was a couple of years ago, but I think the parts alone were 1300 plus installation. Since it was only an $80 option from the factory (for the gear ratio I was looking for), I just ordered a new truck and got what I wanted. I'm not even sure what replacing the gears would do for you or your tranny...maybe someone with a more mechanical background can chime in....

3. Collapse Details

I would >

add a cat back exhaust from Magnaflow

add CAI from Airaid

go back to stock tire diameter, 30-31", but get D rated tires, 65 psi rated... the 35's are killing the engine torq band w/ 4.10s, especially with the 4 speed auto tranny

Rancho or Edelbrock shocks

aftermarket GOOD brake lines from frame to calipers (this could be a HUGE improvement)

Hawk ceramic brake pads all around

slotted rotors all around
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    I would >

add a cat back exhaust from Magnaflow

DONE!

add CAI from Airaid

DONE (K&N)!

go back to stock tire diameter, 30-31", but get D rated tires, 65 psi rated... the 35's are killing the engine torq band w/ 4.10s, especially with the 4 speed auto tranny

I have a 6" CST lift. Stock tires were tiny. I have brand new BFG AT's at $1K so not gong back to smaller tires. I'd rather upgrade gears.

Rancho or Edelbrock shocks

Got new shocks with lift but don't remember brand.

aftermarket GOOD brake lines from frame to calipers (this could be a HUGE improvement)

I have braided SS lines but haven't put them on yet. Will do so soon.

Hawk ceramic brake pads all around

slotted rotors all around
    The stock brakes are pretty stout. Aren't ceramic pads more for racing and require longer warm up times to be effective?

I'm pulling just under $10K now and have been thinking about a 35/38 footer which will put me more in 12K to 14K range. That will max me out or even over load so hesitant to do so even though I hear of people pulling bigger boats with 3/4 ton trucks.

Most likely will stick with my boat and get a new aluminum trailer with elec/hydr brakes. That will decrease my overall weight and make stopping way more stable.

I guess I will go with the air bags too, just for a little more adjustability. I don't have any sag issues at this time but I might if I load up the back of the truck with a bunch of crap.

My biggest dilemma is the gears thing. It came with the 4.10s and is pretty stout. It pulls the boat without a problem, even up steep grades. I can maintain 70 MPH + up any grade but it will kick down a gear and tach at at 4 grand so I usually back off.

I may try the Hypertech program thing. Anybody ever use one?

5. Collapse Details

ceramic pads are great...

35-38Ft >> you got the wrong mule >> do not pass go

Diablo programmer >> I use one on my Tahoe, and I can walk you through a couple neat tuning features.. need premium fuel though..

I would keep your boat and truck and get an aluminum trailer w/ triple axles and brakes on every axle or at least the front two, weight balanced right you won't need the air bags..
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    ceramic pads are great...

35-38Ft >> you got the wrong mule >> do not pass go

Diablo programmer >> I use one on my Tahoe, and I can walk you through a couple neat tuning features.. need premium fuel though..

Can't find one for my truck. Looks like biggest gasser model they make is for 6.0? Any idea where to get one?

I would keep your boat and truck and get an aluminum trailer w/ triple axles and brakes on every axle or at least the front two, weight balanced right you won't need the air bags..
    That seems like it's going to be the plan. Nothing wrong with my boat, just would like a little more room.

A new trailer is way cheaper than a new boat (and truck)!

7. Collapse Details

I towed 12K with my 2500 Avalanche for a couple seasons with all the right setup. I sold it when I saw that the frame was sagging.
    Brian Tillett; Active Thunder Factory Representative
    wwwActiveThunderBoats.com
    brian(a)activethunderboats.com

8. Collapse Details

Registered
    I have a hypertec on my 03 2500 Avalanche and have been happy with it autoanything has them for 299 it may not be the best but the price is the cheapest I run 93 octane and seems to work well towing a 30 sonic on an aluminum trailer

9. Collapse Details

baja remember a 38 ft boat is not a small boston whaler. The chev avalanche lets face it is a half ton or 1500 chassis. Can it tow a 38 sure on flat land, but you live, 10 miles from me and we have those things called hills and mountains. If you are going to travel to havasu or mead the half ton brakes don't even come close to stopping a large boat. If you are stepping up to a large boat then personally I think you need to upgrade to a 2500 or3500 size truck. god for bid you get into an accicent towing such a large boat with the avalanche if your insurance co looks into it they may void the policy saying your truck was not large enough to tow the boat and that they should not be responsible to you hitting someone for not stopping in time. You don't need a dually but I would go to a 3/4 ton long bed to start

10. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgchuby01 View Post
    baja remember a 38 ft boat is not a small boston whaler. The chev avalanche lets face it is a half ton or 1500 chassis. Can it tow a 38 sure on flat land, but you live, 10 miles from me and we have those things called hills and mountains. If you are going to travel to havasu or mead the half ton brakes don't even come close to stopping a large boat. If you are stepping up to a large boat then personally I think you need to upgrade to a 2500 or3500 size truck. god for bid you get into an accicent towing such a large boat with the avalanche if your insurance co looks into it they may void the policy saying your truck was not large enough to tow the boat and that they should not be responsible to you hitting someone for not stopping in time. You don't need a dually but I would go to a 3/4 ton long bed to start
    he has a 2500 avalanche not a 1500