Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Update on Lee Austin
    We just returned to Chicago. Lee is doing extremely well and the healing process is well under way. Double bypass, no pacemaker and a very good report on everything else they found during the operation.
    If you have had the pleasure of knowing him, you realize he is not interested in all this attention. Many who do know him met him when he helped fix your boat. In 10 years I have spent a lot of time in the pits running tools to him while he worked tirelessly to make sure someone was able to race. More often than not it was someone in our class. In fact there are only a few boats we have ever raced against that Lee has not helped fix, make faster or loaned parts and props.
    He started racing boats like me in kneel down hydroplanes and has been racing offshore longer than some of our competitors have been alive. It's interesting when we talk to the great retired Offshore racers, especially when the subject of age comes up and Lee is older than most of them.
    He is the real deal. A competitor who is out there because he loves to race. No drama, no crying or finger pointing. You beat me today, I will test till I find enough to get you next round. The boat he built (which took first place in Race #1 Key West 2009 against six other SS boats) is one of the most innovative hulls racing. Hearing Lee and Brownie or Earl Lanier or Reggie talk in the pits is like a master class on boat design. Like all of our class we have been chasing GB for 10 years, but we usually end up on the podium somewhere. Not bad for a 10 year old Super Stock boat with and a 67 year old Throttleman. No disrespect to the great boats we race against, but it has always been my contention that if a younger crazier or Superstar team had our boat it would get banned as unfair very quickly.
    I know Lee appreciates the calls and get well wishes from everyone. Special thanks to Reggie Fountain, JC, Alan Christy and especially all the racers.
    I refer to him as Ironman Lee Austin because I am constantly in awe of his stamina and energy. With new plumbing and some blood now flowing to his brain: Watch out GB.
    SQ

2. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Steve,
    You said it buddy he is one of a kind they dont come any better then Lee. I am proud to call him a friend.

3. Collapse Details

The BEST! You and Steve have been Friends@#$%^&*(, I mean Family since day 1. Please keep us updated Steve. Thanks, Augie
    .......Augie Pensa.......

The Godfather

4. Collapse Details

Thanks Augie, that means a lot. You will have to walk Lee through this recovery. He is not so good at sitting still.
    SQ

5. Collapse Details

Banned
    Glad to hear is doing better, and hoping for a speedy recovery !

6. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ThrottleUp Props's Avatar
    Thank you for the update, Steve. You have truely made my day, a little brighter!

Get Well soon Lee!!!!!

Julie & Matt
    When you feel the need for speed...Throttle Up!

GO FAST or GO HOME!

7. Collapse Details

Julie,
    Sorry it has been a long weekend. Thank you for helping with the boat and in the pits. And a special Chicago salute to the crew of Strictly Business who insisted in taking our place in the crane line. They did not let the news of Lee's heart attack or the fact we had been in line a half hour before them enter their decision making process.
    To the rest of the OPA orginization thank you for a great event. We were made to feel at home.
    SQ

8. Collapse Details

Great news !!!! Get well soon Lee.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the
    American Military. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by stevequick View Post
    Thanks Augie, that means a lot. You will have to walk Lee through this recovery. He is not so good at sitting still.
    SQ
    Steve, right now one year ago I was still in the operating room...I guess six bypasses plus two under the right side takes a little more time that carrying a washer up four flights in Hoboken,NJ There ain't too much I can tell Lee or suggest to him, four weeks after my by passes I was in a tractor trailer making a delivery to Orlando, Fl., AGAINST my Doctors wishes of course! Then I wanted to race six months later! No Brains here Steve.

The Godfather

10. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Steve,
    If Lee needs anything at all, or if there is anything you need us to do please just let me know. That ever Lee needs u know I'm there for him, you guys are both great guys and good friends. It is the least any of us could do.

Frank

11. Collapse Details
    Thumbs up
    Glad to hear he is doing better!
    YOU JUST CAN'T MAKE THIS SH*T UP!!!!!!

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Hey Steve pass along my regards and well wishes to Lee & can't wait to have a couple of cocktails somewhere along the line this year pal!!!!

Sean
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

13. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Julie,
    And a special Chicago salute to the crew of Strictly Business who insisted in taking our place in the crane line. They did not let the news of Lee's heart attack or the fact we had been in line a half hour before them enter their decision making process.
    SQ

14. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Julie,
    Sorry it has been a long weekend. Thank you for helping with the boat and in the pits. And a special Chicago salute to the crew of Strictly Business who insisted in taking our place in the crane line. They did not let the news of Lee's heart attack or the fact we had been in line a half hour before them enter their decision making process.
    To the rest of the OPA orginization thank you for a great event. We were made to feel at home.
    SQ
    There is always one

15. Collapse Details

Spoke to Lee this morning. He is headed home today and already talking about going to Sarasota to keep everyone in line.
    SQ

16. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Spoke to Lee this morning. He is headed home today and already talking about going to Sarasota to keep everyone in line.
    SQ
    That will probably give him another heart attack trying to keep this crowd in line!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

17. Collapse Details
    Thumbs up
    Great News Steve!!!
    YOU JUST CAN'T MAKE THIS SH*T UP!!!!!!

18. Collapse Details

Great news Steve, give Lee my regards. Wait till the drugs wear off, Lee ain't gonna be doing too much of anything...even yelling hurts.

The Godfather

19. Collapse Details

Julie,
    SQ
    Hey Steve, spoke to one of my partners Louie The Rigger from Strickly Business and he will be calling you and answering here on the computer. From what I understand they took Louie outta the boat (His crew was left at the crane) because they thought he may be having a heart attack and brought him back to the hotel to get him in some AC. I know Louie too well, if he was there sick or not he would have been driving Lee to the hospital himself...But I'll let him tell you the rest.

The Godfather

20. Collapse Details

Hi Steve, I am very glad to hear the Lee is doing well and I pray for a speedy recovery. As many people know I am capable of typing a 20 page thread on what is right and what is wrong. This is not one of those times, though i was not feeling well and left the crane area early I still accept responsibility for the actions of our crew. And I apologize for what happened. Maybe it was the fact that we are not used to the intense heat or maybe the mad rush by all to the crane area that fueled their actions? I don't know for sure, but I will tell you that our team is always a shining example of sportsmanship, racing and are always there to lend a hand when someone needs it. Please accept our apologies, Louie the Rigger "Strictly Business" V-6

PS I called and left my number 516-702-2601