1. Collapse Details
    Need to ask drivers a question?
    Charter Member
    Im getting used to my boat more and more and i am pushing the limit more and more each time. Im running a 21' apache hull with a extension box and a merc 250 outboard. I run about 50 mph at 4000 rpm with motor trimmed completely in. At this point my throttle is at its max. As i trim motor out and hit about 4800, im starting to get 62 to 68 but start to chine. My prop is a 26 pitch and i know i can drop the pitch down to get more rpms at my full throttle point. My question is do i steer through it or trim out more and go with it. It feels like their is no room for error at this point and i dont want to do anything that could put me or anybody else in danger. Some driver knowledge would be great.Thanks

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    First wear a kill switch.. It is a balancing act. Think in terms of keeping the stern behind the bow. As it starts to fall to the right a quick minor snap of the wheel to the left and straight again will bring the stern behind the bow and direct the boat back to level.

At high speeds there is not room for error. Try to learn to balance the boat trimmed extra at 50 to 60 mph until you feel comfortable and can begin to anticipate the steering input needed. As you progress increase your speeds with caution.. Once you have it figured out you can possibly run through it and at higher speeds the boat will tend to fly straight easier.

Be careful! It is easy to get thrown out or on the floor. Wear a kill switch at all times.
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 06-09-2010 at 05:22 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Do you have hydraulic steering? Outboards often need both hands to counter act the torque. A foot throttle is worth considering if you don't have one. The cats meow is Latham's power assisted outboard steering. With that you can drive with one hand and throttle with the other.

4. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    I installed the seastar pro series helm and cylinder within the last year. It is harder to steer at higher speeds and if you let off the throttle abruptly, watch out. Never do that again. I also have two bennet trimtabs that were customized from 11" to 18" but not hooked up yet. I got new gauges and switches for the dash and the should be hooked up within the month.

5. Collapse Details

Banned
    oh ****...peanuts...just bring it over here and we go for a ride !!!!!!!

after u either have no boat ,,,or u love it !!!! lolololol

6. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Scotty, be at the cousins for the fourth. Leaving fri morning. Well have to go for a run.

7. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsPeanut View Post
    Scotty, be at the cousins for the fourth. Leaving fri morning. Well have to go for a run.
    No problemo !!!!!!