Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    ILMOR V10 Racers??
    Sponsor / Charter Member ILMORdude's Avatar
    Has anyone besides Gino (Manitie) considered using the lightweight V10's in the states yet???
    ILMOR High Performance Marine
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    We cannot at this time in SVL. But I would certainly consider it if possible. Ilmor's staff
    and engineering heritage speaks for itself.
    Steve

3. Collapse Details

Steve, what rule(s) prevent the use of our stuff? I'm not up to speed with svl class rules. Fill me in if u could!
    Thx
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

4. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ILMORdude View Post
    Steve, what rule(s) prevent the use of our stuff? I'm not up to speed with svl class rules. Fill me in if u could!
    Thx
    SVL Class is only allowed to run the Merc 525.....they only want the Merc 525 run in the class....Steve has been running the Vortec for years in his SVL...but was not allowed to run in OSS with it....
    We had a lot of racers coming over the boat in Ocean City....and a lot of questions....a lot want to see the reliablilty....we told them to look at the Fountain running in P1 over the last 3 years...
    If SVL opens the door to ILMOR....we to will build a SVL....

5. Collapse Details

Competitor
    I think next yr when it is HP to Weight that might open the door to a lot of other engine builders.

Frank

6. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    The Vortec has been legal to run in OSS. For P1, if SVL follows what was legal in SS 510 or 511 Ci max hp 610. I would think maybe a gen 3 575 Ilmor, would work for p1, or with special program to adjust hp and rev limit. It would be real close to a 525 or vortec for a spec motor option also.

7. Collapse Details

Competitor
    If the Ilmor Dyno's at a few more HP you would just have to add a few pounds, if the P1 program for 2011 stays as planned.

8. Collapse Details

How much crank hp do 525's put out? Our stuff is rated at the crank. I would think that opening up the rules would be sweet. Just have each engine dyno'd at "this dyno" and sealed. No?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRacing View Post
    If the Ilmor Dyno's at a few more HP you would just have to add a few pounds, if the P1 program for 2011 stays as planned.
    In my case, I'll be adding 60 - 100 HP

10. Collapse Details

Actually, you would want to add torque, since only the HP and weight are regulated.

11. Collapse Details

Nick....the 525's are putting out around 560hp....
    With Merc pulling back the racing programs and not having a support truck at races should be a eye opener for the racers to look at adding other engine manufactures....I talk to Bob about this and this is a great oppertunity for ILMOR....the support you guys are giving has been the best....
    You engines have been more then proven with the Fountain in P1.
    Everone I have talked to that is running the Ilmors have had nothing but great things to say...

With the new P1 class starting next year...this should really be consider looking at the ILMOR package also....

The pricing on the Merc 525's have gone up...so the price issue is not longer a plus...
    The drive issue is the parts have now gone up and cost so much more to just have someone rebuild your drives...its not much more to buy a whole new upper....

Having the ILMOR 650/Indy package is bullet proof....you would have to do nothing...the weight of this package is the same as the 525/XR Sportmaster..

I'm sure Ian would do what ever needed to be done to have parity with the 525's

But if the P1 Class is a true HP to weight ratio..then there should be no issue with the Ilmor...This needs to be clarified for next year....

Some guys are just loyal to Mecr....but really need to look at opening the door to Ilmor...its about racing, affordability and realiability...and support...

If the new SVL Class gose to hp to weight ratio you will see teams going with the ILMOR....

12. Collapse Details

Registered
    how much more is an ilmore compared to a 525?

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MANITIE View Post
    Nick....the 525's are putting out around 560hp....
    With Merc pulling back the racing programs and not having a support truck at races should be a eye opener for the racers to look at adding other engine manufactures....I talk to Bob about this and this is a great oppertunity for ILMOR....the support you guys are giving has been the best....
    You engines have been more then proven with the Fountain in P1.
    Everone I have talked to that is running the Ilmors have had nothing but great things to say...

With the new P1 class starting next year...this should really be consider looking at the ILMOR package also....

The pricing on the Merc 525's have gone up...so the price issue is not longer a plus...
    The drive issue is the parts have now gone up and cost so much more to just have someone rebuild your drives...its not much more to buy a whole new upper....

Having the ILMOR 650/Indy package is bullet proof....you would have to do nothing...the weight of this package is the same as the 525/XR Sportmaster..

I'm sure Ian would do what ever needed to be done to have parity with the 525's

But if the P1 Class is a true HP to weight ratio..then there should be no issue with the Ilmor...This needs to be clarified for next year....

Some guys are just loyal to Mecr....but really need to look at opening the door to Ilmor...its about racing, affordability and realiability...and support...

If the new SVL Class gose to hp to weight ratio you will see teams going with the ILMOR....

A Mercury 525 makes more than 560 HP
    Steve

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Miklos View Post
    A Mercury 525 makes more than 560 HP
    Steve
    Theres a suprise..thats what the Merc guys told me at X Site when testing there in 05..how much more are they making now...

15. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Some as high as 572 hp

16. Collapse Details

Well the Ilmor 625 is not that far off.....but either way if its power to weight ratio whats the problem...the weight is more....dyno the engines and have a teams protest during the year if they feel some teams are cheating...if they are not the protesting teams pays the bill, if the team is cought cheating fine them and take away points...personally banned them from the org....I know some guys thinks thats harsh....but it would keep the teams on the up and up...who wants a SVL that can't run in the SVL class....

I hope everyone takes a good hard look at this....times are tuff...Mercury Racing is not coming back with money to give to racer...and engine manufactures are not knocking on the org door to help out racers...If ILMOR is wanting to get into the game...I think you should let them in....

just my opion

17. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MANITIE View Post
    Well the Ilmor 625 is not that far off.....but either way if its power to weight ratio whats the problem...the weight is more....dyno the engines and have a teams protest during the year if they feel some teams are cheating...if they are not the protesting teams pays the bill, if the team is cought cheating fine them and take away points...personally banned them from the org....I know some guys thinks thats harsh....but it would keep the teams on the up and up...who wants a SVL that can't run in the SVL class....

I hope everyone takes a good hard look at this....times are tuff...Mercury Racing is not coming back with money to give to racer...and engine manufactures are not knocking on the org door to help out racers...If ILMOR is wanting to get into the game...I think you should let them in....

just my opion
    You may have missed what I said at the beginning. From what I have been
    told for P1 511ci, max crank hp of 610. That is why I pointed towards a gen-3 575 and not a 625. This is what was used in the supersport class.

I have been told that the single eng p1 usa will closely match what the svl class is now. I think svl will be based on a 4k per hp. One of the things that some of us in the svl class fear is someone showing up with a 32 footer stuffed with weight, 600+hp and a #6/indy. That is what I would build and I think it would truly be over for the current svl platform. Maybe thats where the 32 Phantom idea came from.

I would like to keep it Bravo based and 30'max, That is my opinion and I know I am not the rule maker.

Without any rules from P1 I am going to kinda defensive till I see the rules. The Fountain showing up unannounced also raised my defense levels because of the connection. Until than it is protect what we have working.

I am open for alternate motors for SVL. I have suggested a budget homebuilt spec motor if it could be policed.

SVL class wants to race but things right getting kinda gray. It is making everyone very cautious.

Sorry if the topic is more towards SVL than Ilmor. Make a Ilmor with something similar to the 525 or the hp3 I am open to adding it the list.

This my opinion not the Class

Mark

18. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Mark,

Do you know how many Pounds per HP they are talking about for the P1 SVL class for next yr ? I think it is something like 7.75 pounds for the twin engine class ? The best I can figure it would be about 8.48 pounds per HP for the single engine class does that sounds about right ?

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar 104 View Post
    You may have missed what I said at the beginning. From what I have been
    told for P1 511ci, max crank hp of 610. That is why I pointed towards a gen-3 575 and not a 625. This is what was used in the supersport class.

I have been told that the single eng p1 usa will closely match what the svl class is now. I think svl will be based on a 4k per hp. One of the things that some of us in the svl class fear is someone showing up with a 32 footer stuffed with weight, 600+hp and a #6/indy. That is what I would build and I think it would truly be over for the current svl platform. Maybe thats where the 32 Phantom idea came from.

I would like to keep it Bravo based and 30'max, That is my opinion and I know I am not the rule maker.

Without any rules from P1 I am going to kinda defensive till I see the rules. The Fountain showing up unannounced also raised my defense levels because of the connection. Until than it is protect what we have working.

I am open for alternate motors for SVL. I have suggested a budget homebuilt spec motor if it could be policed.

SVL class wants to race but things right getting kinda gray. It is making everyone very cautious.

Sorry if the topic is more towards SVL than Ilmor. Make a Ilmor with something similar to the 525 or the hp3 I am open to adding it the list.

This my opinion not the Class

Mark
    All of the above makes perfect sense, to me.
    Steve

20. Collapse Details

Guys/ladies

The main problem is tech at the site is really difficult even if budget is there. The strain measurement system could help greatly also allowing for all types of engines.

I like the Indy drive but I would not reccomend allowing it in SVL. The reason is it opens up a whole new dimension and the intial expense barrier will cause many teams to leave. The class should stay Bravo based unless the teams budget can increase. The Indy drive could be less expensive over time but intial cost and props would make it difficult for most take advantage of.

Steve