Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    ILMOREDUDE, I would suggest that you put a proposal together for the VL class and other classes with a racers price to purchase your product, contingancy program,racers support,rebuild cost,seal and dyno cost and anything else that would make the racers feel its the deal of a lifetime to use your product. Im not saying that is what the class wants but if you have a offer it is the best way to present it. Think in terms of what Merc did for the racers. Also concider that almost all the teams have the Merc and like it.
    If Illmore wanted to kick start there racing program this would be a great place to do it. Look what it did for Merc and there blue motors. I dont know if its possable but what if you gave the first 15 motors to the VL class?
    MD
    http://youtu.be/u0MEjFpPADY
    Typhoon racing SVL,P5,P4,
    THIS MY OPINION ONLY NOT OTHERS!!!!

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
    ILMOREDUDE, I would suggest that you put a proposal together for the VL class and other classes with a racers price to purchase your product, contingancy program,racers support,rebuild cost,seal and dyno cost and anything else that would make the racers feel its the deal of a lifetime to use your product. Im not saying that is what the class wants but if you have a offer it is the best way to present it. Think in terms of what Merc did for the racers. Also concider that almost all the teams have the Merc and like it.
    If Illmore wanted to kick start there racing program this would be a great place to do it. Look what it did for Merc and there blue motors. I dont know if its possable but what if you gave the first 15 motors to the VL class?
    MD
    Yea look how good it did for Mercury. I guess thats why there still around helping out. Ohhh wait they left as soon as they didn't make any money!!!!

Get real, did Merc ever give anything away???? Yea the had a contingancy program only after you PURCHASED there motor. And had to pay their re-build price along with their relpacement parts at whatever cost they decided.

Ilmor would have to be fools to give away motors to this class or any other. What would be there in it for them. Yea, scl has one of the highest boat counts, but still are nowhere near the 10 plus boats as promised. Just look at all the termoil with the fountain and phantoms that are or are not legal. No one as seen the TV as of yet.

As for Gino's dream of a 45K boat, thats pie in the sky unless you go to a single outboard. The math doesn't add up unless someone is willing to give the boat or motor away.

By the way, i keep hearing about the checks in P1 USA and how great it is to race and get paid too win. Where's that MONEY coming from? Is there a P1 boat fairy?

Let me guess, Fountain is helping out? Whats the cost for the new Fontain SVL? Was that under 150K and if so was it extra to keep changing the bottom?

Hence this is a major problem with this "sport". There's no concrete rules, tech or classes for that matter. There's no forward thinking past the next few races. And its more about the "show" than racing.

3. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    This thread is about the Ilmor and to make them legal for more classes. A few of the BOAT OWNERS of SVL have offered a some ideas on how to add them to the approved motor list. This is not a thread about the problems of offshore.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar 104 View Post
    This thread is about the Ilmor and to make them legal for more classes. A few of the BOAT OWNERS of SVL have offered a some ideas on how to add them to the approved motor list. This is not a thread about the problems of offshore.
    Yea I know its about Ilmor motors and SVL. And how nothings really changed, thus why Ilmor will probably never be allowed to run in SVL.

Unless they take randy's thought and give 15 motors away to the existing fleet???

Or they could just funnel alot of money somewhere and have their NOT-REALLY LEGAL motors allowed kind of like..............

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Cant we get through one thread without all of this bull$hit....I mean come on I remember this stuff from high school next we will start passing notes about this person or that person!!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

6. Collapse Details

Please explain how Ilmor would qaulify its motor?

what are the rules exactly and how does the process work?

Fountain was able to show up and race a one-off purpose built race race boat. In breifly reading the OSS rules the Fountain isn't legal. Then there's the issue of who has the final desicision. Then is it a P1 class or OSS class?

And finally, why bring this up under the Ilmor thread? So Ilmor can see how things really work.

Then lets compare the 2, Merc and Ilmor. Merc has always had the upper hand since they were able to have a monoply for the engine rules. Basically Merc ONLY engines. Then you have Ilmor, a true high-performance engine builder, that has built engines for all the MAJOR motorsports series and just wants to have their stuff used in racing.

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    I would love to see Ilmor involved with SVL and/or P1. It would be great to have them involved. I am not familiar enough with them to know exactly how it will match up. I am curious to know about their transmission. Are any of the driveline components dry sumped?

I would think it would be possible to map one of their engines to match up. P1 will be power to weight so it appears there will be an opportunity to have them involved. The more manufactures of boats and engines involved the more professional and marketable the class becomes.. More marketable equates to more sponsors and prize money..

8. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by skaterdave View Post
    Yea look how good it did for Mercury. I guess thats why there still around helping out. Ohhh wait they left as soon as they didn't make any money!!!!

Get real, did Merc ever give anything away???? Yea the had a contingancy program only after you PURCHASED there motor. And had to pay their re-build price along with their relpacement parts at whatever cost they decided.

Ilmor would have to be fools to give away motors to this class or any other. What would be there in it for them. .

9. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    I wiil tell you what it did for Merc. After the factory classes PROVED to the boating world that you can race these motors at WOT for a hour at a clip and not blow them up. On top of that they were good to race for 2-3 years without a rebuild. I cant speak for the others but I recieved a racers price on all the product I buy from them and bought my motor at a racers price and got a check on top of that for 8K at the end of the season. You may call that nothing but I called it a mountain of help and I was thankfull for everything they did to help us. Fast forward all that and poker run boats and recreationl boats started buying there blue motors based on the racers not being able to break them. Thats my take on it as a racer. There is something else you are missing, its called marketing your product. If you spend 200K will it help you sell 2 million? There is cost to selling anything.
    Last edited by TYPHOON; 06-19-2010 at 02:04 PM.
    http://youtu.be/u0MEjFpPADY
    Typhoon racing SVL,P5,P4,
    THIS MY OPINION ONLY NOT OTHERS!!!!

10. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    We would have a better chance on getting ILMOR into Class 5....
    Let it still be run your own engine but have a ILMOR Class 5 program...
    with most boats in the class running 600 to 700hp...it falls right into were ILMOR is concintrating on the hp range...
    Most pleasure boaters are going to run in this hp range in there 25 to 30 foot boats...
    Or I would look seriously again into putting the Seires again together..
    pending what we can get from ILMOR...we could put a full race boat package together for around 55k to 60k.. maybe even less...
    I will be bringing my proposal to Ian next month with the brake down...
    Randy....I really don't think any engine manufacture is going to give you anything in our racing....
    Mercury Racing was around for ever..and we had to pay big bucks to get there engines...

11. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ILMORdude's Avatar
    Just to clarify things........I didnt state an actual race class. I said V10 Racers
    ILMOR High Performance Marine
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    Cant we get through one thread without all of this bull$hit....I mean come on I remember this stuff from high school next we will start passing notes about this person or that person!!!!!
    Okay, but how come this is so complicated?

the SVL racers came out and stated they we're joining P1 usa. correct?

Then none of the rules changed and supposedly following OSS version, except that the Fountain doesn't fit and it comes to light that several other boats have been illegally modified.

Then everyone keeps saying wait for next year, it's going to be hp to wt rules, but with other rules but basically going to stay OSS svl rules?

Then a few racers quit or don't show up to the 2nd SVL P1 debut ??

But lets not question things since thats being negative???

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    I would love to see Ilmor involved with SVL and/or P1. It would be great to have them involved. I am not familiar enough with them to know exactly how it will match up. I am curious to know about their transmission. Are any of the driveline components dry sumped?

I would think it would be possible to map one of their engines to match up. P1 will be power to weight so it appears there will be an opportunity to have them involved. The more manufactures of boats and engines involved the more professional and marketable the class becomes.. More marketable equates to more sponsors and prize money..
    I am pretty sure they are P1 legal in europe!!!!!

14. Collapse Details

the SVL racers came out and stated they we're joining P1 usa. correct?

Then none of the rules changed and supposedly following OSS version, except that the Fountain doesn't fit and it comes to light that several other boats have been illegally modified.

Then everyone keeps saying wait for next year, it's going to be hp to wt rules, but with other rules but basically going to stay OSS svl rules?

Then a few racers quit or don't show up to the 2nd SVL P1 debut ??

But lets not question things since thats being negative???

First of all I didn't quit...not that you directed that at me anyway....I would say that questioning things isn't negative but sometimes the way that the question is posed or the statement is stated is negative maybe not intentionally or then again intentionally.....so with that being said I believe that P1/USA VL class is in its infancy and therefore learning to grow and as such when something grows there is a learning curve!!! Now then what I believe is that a majority of the class has positive attitude towards what we are trying to build.....personally I think that the HP/Weight rules should apply but I do understand that it may make some of the boats obsolete.....So how do we get from where we are to where we want to be and continue to successfully grow the class while we do it???? Well that is the $64,000 question!!!!!

15. Collapse Details

thats easy. divide the prize money evenly into tow money until the class reaches a point where theres proper tech inspection and rules that are clear and being followed.

that way those with boats that aren't front runners still want to race and have fun. also that would eliminate those with big wallets and those with unlimited backing from spending eexcessive $$$ to win a flag. and if they still want to spend unlimited $$$ then let them. atleast its more boats in the class and the rest of you know whats what!!!!

16. Collapse Details

thats easy. divide the prize money evenly into tow money until the class reaches a point where theres proper tech inspection and rules that are clear and being followed.

that way those with boats that aren't front runners still want to race and have fun. also that would eliminate those with big wallets and those with unlimited backing from spending eexcessive $$$ to win a flag. and if they still want to spend unlimited $$$ then let them. atleast its more boats in the class and the rest of you know whats what!!!!
    I think they are ahead of you there Dave that's what they did in Cumberland if I am not mistaken!!!!

17. Collapse Details

there you go, problem solved!!

18. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Its not.

Are you planning to attend St Clair?

19. Collapse Details

yep, I'll stop over and say hi

Dave

20. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    But back on topic....2 things need to happen and pretty quick...
    1. There are going to have to be rules put inplace and fast so teams can start making plans if this is going to work
    2. This P1 USA...is this going to be a true P1 CLASS..
    I hear the 30 feet and under...Ok done...
    dose it have to be a closed cockpit...
    Is it a power to weight ratio...
    If someone whats to come out with a open cockpit and run and meets critiera, why not open it up to all boats open or closed cockpit..the lid guys would have the advantage so why not let the open guys in to get the boat count up...
    Either way like Nick is asking....can the ILMOR run...the engine is already 200 lbs lighter then the 525's....add weight to the ILMOR boat and let them in...your talking about 80hp more,
    You can't wait to Dec to decide what will be let in....or am I missing something here....is this going to be a SVL Spec class called P1...
    Are you going to let in other engine builders like Cobra, Sirus ect.
    The whole SVL in OSS was lids for safety..well if the OSS thing is gone and P1 is in...why not open it up to open and closed....in SI what was the top speed seen...75 to 80...guys we used to run that in F1 in 3 footers..its in the calm that your boats are fast...
    Just a thought