Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    [QUOTE=XtremeRacing;503577]Mark,

Do you know how many Pounds per HP they are talking about for the P1 SVL class for next yr ? I think it is something like 7.75 pounds for the twin engine class ? The best I can figure it would be about 8.48 pounds per HP for the single engine class does that sounds about right ?[/QUOTE

Just take 4750lbs/540 hp +or- as a guide. That is based on the current power and weight of a SVL, but I am not the rule maker.

2. Collapse Details

Banned
    [QUOTE=Dunbar 104;503627]
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRacing View Post
    Mark,

Do you know how many Pounds per HP they are talking about for the P1 SVL class for next yr ? I think it is something like 7.75 pounds for the twin engine class ? The best I can figure it would be about 8.48 pounds per HP for the single engine class does that sounds about right ?[/QUOTE

Just take 4750lbs/540 hp +or- as a guide. That is based on the current power and weight of a SVL, but I am not the rule maker.
    Thats about right, its 4 kg per HP ....4 kg= 8.81 us pounds !!!

3. Collapse Details

Charter Member, Competitor Cookee's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone know if they will stay at 32' or will it be a true single engined power to weight class?

4. Collapse Details

How come Ilmor doesn't just take a 525 merc and match it heads up agianst its 570 version. There's alot of talk about racers moving into the sv, svl and cat lite classes and this would probably bring more racers into those classes.

5. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ILMORdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skaterdave View Post
    How come Ilmor doesn't just take a 525 merc and match it heads up agianst its 570 version. There's alot of talk about racers moving into the sv, svl and cat lite classes and this would probably bring more racers into those classes.
    If merc hp numbers were "accurate" and rules would allow us to play, we would. Our engines are hp rated at the crank. So we have in gen3 form- 570, 625, 700 all n/a crank hp. In gen4 form we have the vvt'd 650 and the solid cam 725 both using our "ilmor controlled electronics" (ice) ECU that is far more sophisticated than the the gen3 ecu.

Someone have a new 525 laying around we can run on our dyno? We'd love to come out and race in the good ol usa.
    ILMOR High Performance Marine
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
    Does anyone know if they will stay at 32' or will it be a true single engined power to weight class?
    The talk is capping it at 30 because all currently racing SVL boats are 30 or less.

7. Collapse Details

We can run a bravo type propeller on our drive does that make it legal to run in SVL? I am sure that Arneson has a bravo prop type drive also are they legal?

pat W
    Unique Innovative Drivetrain Solutions

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by shifter View Post
    We can run a bravo type propeller on our drive does that make it legal to run in SVL? I am sure that Arneson has a bravo prop type drive also are they legal?

pat W
    Currently for SVL not legal. The class talk for P1 is to keep it bravo based, mainly to control cost, and equal playing field, but ultimately that is not our decision. We want to grow the class, but not obsolete ourselves in the process.

What does one of your drives cost?

9. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ILMORdude View Post
    If merc hp numbers were "accurate" and rules would allow us to play, we would. Our engines are hp rated at the crank. So we have in gen3 form- 570, 625, 700 all n/a crank hp. In gen4 form we have the vvt'd 650 and the solid cam 725 both using our "ilmor controlled electronics" (ice) ECU that is far more sophisticated than the the gen3 ecu.

Someone have a new 525 laying around we can run on our dyno? We'd love to come out and race in the good ol usa.
    I have two if you want to take a look.
    Steve

10. Collapse Details

Our drive comes complete with steering, trim rams, gimbal and the transmission. If it is a bravo version it retails under $30,000 with the Latham steering steering and trim rams.

If you guys are worried about the cost of props to allow drives into the class then this should be allowed. It seems to be the only thing stopping the ilmor drive from coming in.

Do you limit cost on hulls to be allowed to come into the class? How about the engines?

pat W
    Last edited by shifter; 06-18-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: caint spell

11. Collapse Details

Pat, Do you have any pics of the bravo style unit your are talking about for 30K? Is it ment to be a surface drive or deeper? We had a racer running the NXT drive and the class voted it out based on cost and other advantages that othere didnt have.
    I would like to see the class have new boats avaliable to them for no more than 150K rigged and race ready. Thats just me.
    MD
    http://youtu.be/u0MEjFpPADY
    Typhoon racing SVL,P5,P4,
    THIS MY OPINION ONLY NOT OTHERS!!!!

12. Collapse Details

We have two types for the bravo propeller. Both are stern drives.

The second drive is a problem for me because of the problems associated with the bravo gimbal failures. It is made to replace bravo or imco or bmax. I would rather use the Ilmor type transom assembly over a bravo for strength.

From what I saw of Kevins boat with the NXT is it was unstable because of the drive. It ran better with the bravo. The main advantage it had was a better gimbal.

pat W

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by shifter View Post
    Our drive comes complete with steering, trim rams, gimbal and the transmission. If it is a bravo version it retails under $30,000 with the Latham steering steering and trim rams.

If you guys are worried about the cost of props to allow drives into the class then this should be allowed. It seems to be the only thing stopping the ilmor drive from coming in.

Do you limit cost on hulls to be allowed to come into the class? How about the engines?

pat W
    My opinion is props first, but one must draw the line somewhere. The Bravos have performed the last 10 years, parts are everywhere new and used.

My opinion is SVL is a budget based class that showcases skill over technology.

14. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
    Pat, Do you have any pics of the bravo style unit your are talking about for 30K? Is it ment to be a surface drive or deeper? We had a racer running the NXT drive and the class voted it out based on cost and other advantages that othere didnt have.
    I would like to see the class have new boats avaliable to them for no more than 150K rigged and race ready. Thats just me.
    MD
    Randy,
    I agree $150,000 is the magic number for a new boat. If you guys can keep cost down the class will grow. Now if someone wants to add top of the line toys thats fine they can pay for it. It does not make the boat faster and should not hurt the class as long as the more affordable version is avalible.

Frank

15. Collapse Details

Is there anyone that has tried to "join forces" to produce a spec turn key raceboat? Maybe its already been done in yrs past but what about now with a 2010 hull and an Ilmor V10 570/625/650????
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

16. Collapse Details

I recall a powerboat article where they tested 525's vs Ilmor's. If one was to take that article as properly done your engine should get a weight reduction!
    Steve

17. Collapse Details

Steve, if i remember correctly, that article was our 625 vs. Merc 600SCi. And that was NOT a very good article. We need a new head to head, accurate comaprison so we can get you guys into some aluminum V-10's!!

18. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Has anyone besides Gino (Manitie) considered using the lightweight V10's in the states yet???
    Yes but at this time...there isn't a place for them in SVL
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

19. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    I have been involved with Pat when I was racing with Ragamuffin....he does build some terrific $hit.....Also the statement Randy made about 150k all in for a new boat that's whats needed to grow this class.....We have something in hand that is working at the moment let's not lose site of the big picture this time....as in we have a class that is unified and has P1 USA writing checks and we are having fun....this is what it is all about boys and girls!!!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

20. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    Is there anyone that has tried to "join forces" to produce a spec turn key raceboat? Maybe its already been done in yrs past but what about now with a 2010 hull and an Ilmor V10 570/625/650????
    Nick...I started working on putting on a spec class together 2 years ago with
    1 hull manufacture
    1 engine
    1 drive
    and no mondifications, kinda like the IROC Series...
    The target price was 45k. We had plenty of interest but we just could not get the price down...
    I still have everything in place and have been working on it again for the last month or so...I should sit down with Ian next month while were I'm up there..and see what he thinks..
    I have also got with a number of Class 5 guys and I would like to run what we have been talking about to Ian also...