Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Which Heads Are Better?
    Im having a little trouble as to which heads I should put on my motor. The block is a gen VI bbc 454. Its currently getting some machine work done and im going with a stroker kit to make a total ci of 489. I have 2 sets of heads but not sure which ones are better, 14096188- rectangle port 118cc open chamber, or 10141279- vortec oval port 100cc closed. Im gonna run pump gas so i want to stay with relatively low comp and i have a high rise alum intake rectangle so im leaning towards the 188's. If anyone can offer any advice, it would be appreciated-Thanks

2. Collapse Details

I know absolutely nothing about motors, but to answer your question "which heads are better?" I would say it would be blonde identicle twins, 21~22 years old, bolt ons, half drunk, and no gag reflex.... but thats just one mans opinion.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

3. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about motors, but to answer your question "which heads are better?" I would say it would be blonde identicle twins, 21~22 years old, bolt ons, half drunk, and no gag reflex.... but thats just one mans opinion.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

4. Collapse Details

What pistons are you using? I have a 489 stroker, with large oval 820's w/ 2.19 1.88 valves, 110cc chambers. I use flat tops with -3cc relief, that gives me 8.9 comp and I have been running 89 octain. The key is get a cam and valvetrain from RMbuilder. Then it will really run!!

5. Collapse Details

Now that is too funny!! You know the blonde gag reflex thing.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeffswav View Post
    What pistons are you using? I have a 489 stroker, with large oval 820's w/ 2.19 1.88 valves, 110cc chambers. I use flat tops with -3cc relief, that gives me 8.9 comp and I have been running 89 octain. The key is get a cam and valvetrain from RMbuilder. Then it will really run!!
    Flat tops... with 118cc head will get 9.0, that what the chart says, no cam choise yet but 1.7 roller rockers from KE

7. Collapse Details

The 188's are the way to go. You can get some nice gains with a die grinder opening up the bowls under the valves and by unshrouding the exhaust valve a bit. The most important thing to do is get your quench set correctly. That's the gap between the piston and the head at TDC. You don't really want it much more than .030". Quench causes turbulence in the combustion chamber during ignition. That unleashed more horsepower and it also hel;ps hold off detonation. It's set by decking the block.

A set of manley or Ferrea stainless valves on the intake and absolutely use Inconel on the exhaust- you'll see power gains and much greater reliability.

Lastly, definitely talk to Bob Madara about the cam- he's on here as RMBuilder.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Rebcammaz View Post
    Flat tops... with 118cc head will get 9.0, that what the chart says, no cam choise yet but 1.7 roller rockers from KE
    That sounds a little high, I used to think I ran higher comp but I was corrected by RMbuilder when he set up my cam last year. Flat tops usually have valve reliefs, head gaskets also need to be considered. Either head would be a good choice, but if you use the vortecs you may want to look into bigger valves. You can't really go wrong with the rec heads, port and polish work would help either one. It is a lot of work but it pays off.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeffswav View Post
    It is a lot of work but it pays off.
    If you've got a high-quality die grinder it goes quick. Using one of those $69 Sears pieces can be misery. The worst part is the millions of razor-sharp needle-like shavings that fly everywhere

But you're right. It does pay off. I neglected to mention port-matching the manifold.

10. Collapse Details

P.S. In a 454 with 30 over, zero deck and .030 head gaskets, using -3cc flat tops, you're right around 8.25:1. Good for a blower motor.

11. Collapse Details

Waterford Mi., Lk. St. Clair and Lk. Erie
    You will want to use small dome pistons or the comp. will be too low. Unless you zero deck the block, it will be under 8.0-1. The common Fel-Pro blue gaskets are .042 thick.
    Big boats rule!

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    P.S. In a 454 with 30 over, zero deck and .030 head gaskets, using -3cc flat tops, you're right around 8.25:1. Good for a blower motor.
    He is building a 489 stroker, that should give him a little more but not what he was thinking. With flat tops he may want to use the vortecs. What do you think?

13. Collapse Details

That combo is about 8.6. Still too low. I would use the right piston and not compromise on the head.

14. Collapse Details

Oops, I was thinking 454.
    Big boats rule!

15. Collapse Details

If it's a stroker, it's too big for oval ports imho. The Vortecs are not the greatest heads on a 454 let alone 489. Their flow numbers are similar to a good small block head. They are also more detonation prone than an open chamber head.
    Big boats rule!

16. Collapse Details

Check out this article, I found this about 4 years ago when I was researching heads. I have not personally used the vortecs but they seem pretty similar to the large ovals I am using. If you have not bought your pistons, the other guys are right you could get one with a slight dome and get your comp up. Througout the years I have run several different combination. At one time I had the peanut port head with the 489. It ran pretty strong but ran out of steam at about 4800 RPM, I was only running 8.6 comp. I can run my large ovals up to 5600 RPM, with the smaller 110cc chambers I am at now at 8.9 comp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 454_1.jpg   454_2.jpg   454_3.jpg  

17. Collapse Details

Banned
    Your best bet is to call BOB Madera , or MER Performance, both are very nice people and will ing to help !!!!

U tell either what your plans are and they tell u what u need and where to get it at best deal !!!!!

No need to listening to 20 people on here...everybody here does not know your boat or engine plans !!!!!!

just my 2 c

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    Your best bet is to call BOB Madera , or MER Performance, both are very nice people and will ing to help !!!!

U tell either what your plans are and they tell u what u need and where to get it at best deal !!!!!

No need to listening to 20 people on here...everybody here does not know your boat or engine plans !!!!!!

just my 2 c
    Hey, I agree with you this time.

19. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    Rm builder has me running at 9.3 to 1 compression. I am running premium gas 91 to 93 octane just a few cents more a gallon but I think bob wouldn't steer me wrong in that sense... the 9 to 1 dosent seem too high to me.. and I am running stock heads just have had them flowed and gasket matched
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer22 View Post
    Rm builder has me running at 9.3 to 1 compression. I am running premium gas 91 to 93 octane just a few cents more a gallon but I think bob wouldn't steer me wrong in that sense... the 9 to 1 dosent seem too high to me.. and I am running stock heads just have had them flowed and gasket matched
    did you test your boat yet????