1. Collapse Details
    Cockpit Cover waterproofing?
    Guys,
    I want to scotchgard my cockpit cover on my 38TG. The cover is original to the boat 2003 and still looks good, it just doesn't appear to be shedding water like it used to. I am not sure what product to use, or what exactly the cover is made out of. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

2. Collapse Details

If it more of a woven fabric and less like smooth shiney vinyl, it is probably SunBrella. They have a few recommended treatments, but the same stuff is available as Coleman Camp Dry in sporting good depts everywhere. (And its cheaper when labeled as such) Comes in aerosole cans and works well if applied each year. Some co-workers with cruisers have used Thompson's water seal, like for your deck in a pump up sprayer for their giant camper tops. Keeps them happy and dry,

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rschap1 View Post
    If it more of a woven fabric and less like smooth shiney vinyl, it is probably SunBrella. They have a few recommended treatments, but the same stuff is available as Coleman Camp Dry in sporting good depts everywhere. (And its cheaper when labeled as such) Comes in aerosole cans and works well if applied each year. Some co-workers with cruisers have used Thompson's water seal, like for your deck in a pump up sprayer for their giant camper tops. Keeps them happy and dry,
    That's exactly how it feels like a woven fabric. Do you think I will be fine than with a scotchgard product that works on fabric and shouldn't be used on vinyl?

4. Collapse Details

Aqua-Tite. about $50 a gallon but worth it. Use a small pumpup sprayer and lay the cover out and spray it. Then put back on the boat.

5. Collapse Details

http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...bric-guard.cfm

Here is another option - actually recommended by Sunbrella if you look at the bottom of the page.

6. Collapse Details

I hear good things about this DSC 19 stuff. http://www.dcs19.com/ When I do mine I'll use this stuff... my 2nd choice is the 303 protectant because Sunbrella suggests it.

7. Collapse Details

I used 303 last time but I think the Starbrite I used previously worked better.

-Greg

8. Collapse Details

DO NOT use 303 if the cover comes in contact with Silver or Carbon Fiber look vinyls. It cuases those colors to fade to a peach like color. Dont ask me how I know

9. Collapse Details

thanks for all the help guys. I'll keep everyone posted on what product I decide to go with, and how it turns out.

10. Collapse Details

To keep your cover from staining/wearing on the upholstery try lining the inside of it with the material from a hihg-end car cover (I think it is called Noah fabric). Mine were made that way and it works great at protecting the white upholstery.

-Greg

11. Collapse Details

I have always just used "Camp Dry" too. It is cheap and works. I only have to use it every other year, but my boat is only outside for weekends at the lake.

12. Collapse Details

I use 303 stuff for sun/UV protection, but was not aware of its waterproofing abilities. I apply it to stuff more like one would use AmorAll. I coat the sidewalls of my tires with it a couple times annually. I do know that sunbrella recommended it, but I thought more fo rthe uV again...

13. Collapse Details

you beat me to it on the Camp Dry.
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

14. Collapse Details

I use 303 stuff for sun/UV protection, but was not aware of its waterproofing abilities. I apply it to stuff more like one would use AmorAll. I coat the sidewalls of my tires with it a couple times annually. I do know that sunbrella recommended it, but I thought more fo rthe uV again...
    the 303 of which they are speaking is not the stuff you use on your vinyl, tires etc. The sealer is a 303 brand product, just specifically for sealing canvas and is recommended by Sunbrella.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BGIII View Post
    http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...bric-guard.cfm

Here is another option - actually recommended by Sunbrella if you look at the bottom of the page.
    i just did my formula . it works great