Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    aqnother question
    OK< here we go again! This is my first gas truck in quite some time after owning diesels... so here we go.

My 2010 F250 V-10, 4.10 gears came with 245/75/17 wheels and tires. I switched to 33/12.50/18's and the performalce is simply lacking, especially when I tow! Now, I am not sure of the weight of the stock tires, but the Toyo M/T's weigh in at a whopping 75lbs per tire, not including the wheel. So, my question, could this tire just be too heavy for towing (rolling resistance) or do I just need to get used to the lack of torque from going back to a gas motor???

tia in advance for the help!

2. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    I don't know tire numbers that well, but is the outside diameter the same on each tire? Differant diameters will mess up the final gear ratio.
    ________

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I don't know tire numbers that well, but is the outside diameter the same on each tire? Differant diameters will mess up the final gear ratio.
    The factory tire was a 31 inch tall tire, moved to a 33, which even Ford said was more then acceptable since they have a 33 inch tall tire as an option with the same gearing as I do.

4. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    The factory tire was a 31 inch tall tire, moved to a 33, which even Ford said was more then acceptable since they have a 33 inch tall tire as an option with the same gearing as I do.
    I'm surprised Ford didn''t recommend a reprogram of the speedo with the new tires. I'd say the larger tire is altering your final gear ratio and killing your performance.

With a smaller tire, the truck would take off like a raped ape. A larger tire would be a dog off the line.
    ________

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I'm surprised Ford didn''t recommend a reprogram of the speedo with the new tires. I'd say the larger tire is altering your final gear ratio and killing your performance.

With a smaller tire, the truck would take off like a raped ape. A larger tire would be a dog off the line.
    anything within 3mph is within fed standards...according to the dealership.

I am still not sold on the diameter of the tire being the problem since from what I see, most of the 250's come with 33" tires. All of the 250's with 18 and 20 inch wheels are 33's and actually quite a few people are putting 35's on them as well. BUT, the Toyo mud tires weigh a whooping 75 lbs...

Or...is it in my head since I am going from a almost 800 lbs of torque in my duramax back to a gasser???

Also, I have roughly 11K behind the truck...

6. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=MacGyver;499875]I'm surprised Ford didn''t recommend a reprogram of the speedo with the new tires. I'd say the larger tire is altering your final gear ratio and killing your performance.

QUOTE]

per GPS, my speedo is now dead on below about 40 mph and about 1.5 mph off at highway speeds.

7. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    Send me your vin. you may want to consider a lower gear ratio to offset the larger in diameter tires.
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer22 View Post
    Send me your vin. you may want to consider a lower gear ratio to offset the larger in diameter tires.
    A 4.56???

VIN 1FTSW2BY5AEA35840

Thanks!

9. Collapse Details

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GENERAL VEHICLE INFORMATION: (Related Claims)
    VIN: 1FTSW2BY5AEA35840 Veh Line: T/F7 - F250HD/350/450/550 [99-10] Eng Serial No: 092380053 9E
    Model Year: 2010 Market Derived: F - FORD Body Shell: *
    Veh Type: T Drive Code: T/E - 4 WHL L/H PART TIME DRIVE Engine: T/YH - 6.8L 3V EFI NA V10 GAS
    Inv. Dealer: * Body Cab Style: T/BC -DOUBLE CAB (CREW CAB) Transmission: T/TQ - 5 SPD AUTO TRANS NAAO 5R110W
    Version/Series: T/BD - 250 SERIES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Trace Eng Serial No:
    ---------1----------2---------3--------4---------5-----------6----------7---------8

E172A 2608092380053 9E 662 AA
    Trace Trans Serial No:

A4522 100809A1Q2003976AC3P-7000-HA

BUILD INFORMATION:
    Region: NA - ########## Plant: A1 - KENTUCKY TRUCK PLANT BUILD

SALE INFORMATION:
    Region: NA - ########## Selling Dealer: 141200 -*
    Buyer St/Prov: *

Arrival Date: 04-SEP-2009 Red Carpet Lease: *
    Sale Date: 23-APR-2010 Fleet/Retail/Co. Lease: R
    Warranty Start Date: 23-APR-2010 Modified Vehicle: *
    Orig Warranty Date: 23-APR-2010 Reacquired Vehicle: * Vehicle Export Flag: N

VOC/EOC:
    ---------1---------2---------3---------4---------5---------6---------7---------8----------9----------
    W2BAEA35840156MXCA E32 06H1103 MG EH T4N BK1391F6 256FJ8 WM 341E129 53 UJ G 3S914 C Y

1FTS5D1 603A 9YTWI

INSTALLED OPTION INFORMATION:
    Air Conditioning: T/B - MANUAL AIR CONDITIONER GVW Code:
    Alternator Amp Rating: 9A GVW Class Code: S
    Audio Disk: * - [N/A] Instrumentation: * - [N/A]
    Axle Ratio: EGAMD - 4.10 FINAL DRIVE RATIO Mirror(Driver Side): BF - DRV ELECTROCHRO POW MEM MIR
    Axle Type: EGJAC - LIMITED SLIP REAR AXLE Mirror(Psngr Side): * - [N/A]
    Battery Amp Rating: 5A Paint: PN3KJ - STERLING GRAY METALLIC W/B
    Brake Code: FBAAH -POWR 4-WHEEL DISC VACUUM BOOST Power Antenna: * - [N/A]
    Brake Code(Service): * -[N/A] Radio: AU - ELETR PREM AM/FM STRO/DISC
    Calibration Code: 9F718P0A Sound System: * -[N/A]
    Color(Accent): * - [N/A] Suspn Tandem Axle:
    Color(Trim): 000HB - MEDIUM STONE Tire Brand: AP - CONTINENTAL
    Delivery Type: 0 Tire Size: D3KBK - LT245/75/R17E A/S BSW
    Driveshaft Code: * Traction Control: * - [N/A]
    Front Seat: T/S - SEATS - INDIVIDUAL 40/20/40 Wheel Base:
    Fuel Type: AF -UNLEADED FUEL CAPABILITY

TIRE DOT INFORMATION:
    LF: A343478B3009 RF: A343478B????
    LR: A343478B3009 RR: A343478B3009
    LI: * RI: *
    SPARE: A343478B3009

ESP INFORMATION: EMISSIONS INFORMATION:
    ESP Code: * Emission Code: DGAAB - DGAAB
    ESP Coverage(Miles): * Emission Cert Type: *
    ESP Coverage(Time): * Emission Decal Suffix: TZK
    ESP Plan Year: * Engine Family: AFMXD0686VD
    ESP Signature Date:

10. Collapse Details

It has 4.10 so yeah, 4.30 4.56 sounds good. but i think you may be over-critical. it is not a diesel and it will not have that same low end ummmpph. you coudl change gears. ( i could do it for you since you are local) but you will have to change both front and rear.

11. Collapse Details

It has 4.10 so yeah, 4.30 4.56 sounds good. but i think you may be over-critical. it is not a diesel and it will not have that same low end ummmpph. you coudl change gears. ( i could do it for you since you are local) but you will have to change both front and rear.

Thanks for the info! Ballpark on what you would charge me to go to the 4.56? I was hoping it was in my head from converting back to gas from diesel.

Sport Truck Specialties, where the wheels and tires came from are suggesting a tuner...I would rather do gears...

12. Collapse Details

$150 per axle that is what i do for friends. that is setting it up properly with ford tools. all new bearings (if included in kit) and actually setting up pinion depth, preload, carrier preload, backlash and gear pattern. i do not do it like the show trucks (and not to poo poo in sport truck) but they do not have the tools thaat i have available. they will just put the gears in and hope for the best. you got to set them up everey time. each gear set is not the same. you cant just throw them back in with the same shims. i have 1 out of every 10 gearset set up the same way it came in. those are not good chances.

I just put a set of 5.13 geaars in a buddy that has a mud truck that runs 38 inch swampers. it was a world of difference. he waited until he snapped the pinion in the front axle on 3.73 gears. but when it was all said and done the truck acted as it would with the factory 235/85/16 tires.

13. Collapse Details

$150 per axle that is what i do for friends. that is setting it up properly with ford tools. all new bearings (if included in kit) and actually setting up pinion depth, preload, carrier preload, backlash and gear pattern. i do not do it like the show trucks (and not to poo poo in sport truck) but they do not have the tools thaat i have available. they will just put the gears in and hope for the best. you got to set them up everey time. each gear set is not the same. you cant just throw them back in with the same shims. i have 1 out of every 10 gearset set up the same way it came in. those are not good chances.

I just put a set of 5.13 geaars in a buddy that has a mud truck that runs 38 inch swampers. it was a world of difference. he waited until he snapped the pinion in the front axle on 3.73 gears. but when it was all said and done the truck acted as it would with the factory 235/85/16 tires.

Thanks, something to ponder over! I wonder what the gears for front and rear run...

14. Collapse Details

Bill, did you see me in your pool saturday night? went to buffalo beach for a party.

15. Collapse Details

OK< here we go again! This is my first gas truck in quite some time after owning diesels... so here we go.

My 2010 F250 V-10, 4.10 gears came with 245/75/17 wheels and tires. I switched to 33/12.50/18's and the performalce is simply lacking, especially when I tow! Now, I am not sure of the weight of the stock tires, but the Toyo M/T's weigh in at a whopping 75lbs per tire, not including the wheel. So, my question, could this tire just be too heavy for towing (rolling resistance) or do I just need to get used to the lack of torque from going back to a gas motor???

tia in advance for the help!
    I too went from a 2005 f250 6.0 diesel to a 2010 f250 gas v10 w/ 4.10 gears and 20" wheels. I've had it for about 1 month now. I was not pleased with the power range. So I did some research and found a tunner to buy from 5Star tunning. It woke the truck up big time and still run 87 octane. Fuel mileage improved slighlty as well. Dont quote me but I think it added about 75 foot lbs of torque and roughly 35hp.

16. Collapse Details

hijack warning but why are you guys switching to gas?

17. Collapse Details

Bill, did you see me in your pool saturday night? went to buffalo beach for a party.

No I did not. I stay away from over there on holidays!!! DNR is getting out of hand!!!

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Charger View Post
    I too went from a 2005 f250 6.0 diesel to a 2010 f250 gas v10 w/ 4.10 gears and 20" wheels. I've had it for about 1 month now. I was not pleased with the power range. So I did some research and found a tunner to buy from 5Star tunning. It woke the truck up big time and still run 87 octane. Fuel mileage improved slighlty as well. Dont quote me but I think it added about 75 foot lbs of torque and roughly 35hp.
    Thanks for the info!!

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by drpete3 View Post
    hijack warning but why are you guys switching to gas?

If i am lucky, I drive the truck 3K miles per year and it sits in storage for about 6 months a year. I had ALOT of equity in my Chevy and it was worth gold. I was doing more harm then good by letting it sit soooo much, so it was time for a gasser. Plus, I was not happy with my Chevy, love the D-max and Allsion, rest of the truck was........

Also, where I buy gas/diesel most of the times where I live, Diesel is .50 cents per gallon more then gas!

20. Collapse Details

No I did not. I stay away from over there on holidays!!! DNR is getting out of hand!!!
    yeah they were thick. but every time i saw one they were towing someone back so all was good. i had a memorial poker run during the day i didnt get out until around 5:30pm and ran till dusk.