Thread: New wrap

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Heavyhauler View Post
    As a father, I am proud of the work my son has done and as businessmen, he and I happen to work from the same office building. I personally watched him design and draw everything that is posted here and that aspect of his work was long and painstaking. You've got some nerve to come on here and make a b.s. statement like that. You're damn lucky you have that keyboard to hide behind because you need to get face to face with me. My name is Danny Kelly and I'm from Conway, SC and I'd love to get up with you face to face.
    not trying to start anything but you may want to ask him where he got his inspiration from. And my name is Clayton Tacket if you have any questions I will be happy to give you my phone number so we could discus this . The design is basically a take off of a boat called spot light that was Bajas poker run boat . like I said it looks good he added some other textures to it.
    Last edited by Ratickle; 06-27-2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Cleaning quote.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Heavyhauler View Post
    My name is Danny Kelly and I'm from Conway, SC and I'd love to get up with you face to face you bag of $hit.
    when you decide that you owe me an apology let me know but if you want my address I can give you that also if you would like a face to face meeting.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Kustom Kolors View Post
    not trying to start anything but

The moment you made the insinuation that someone had copied something of yours you were "trying to start something".

Obviously, I'm taking up for someone who does not frequent this or other boating websites, but goes about his business and produces work that he designs himself with his own inspiration and I doubt he would know you or your work from Adams housecat, and while you may be a legend in your own mind, yesterday was the first time I have heard of you.

You or anyone else that does true design work get inspirations from everything they see, do, and dream. He sees flaws in his own work that myself or any other layman would never see and is never satisfied until he gets it the way he wants it. People in our area come to him to get "original" design work created and then produced. The Baja that you lay claim to is an excellent example. The design for the bow was drawn in 3 different versions, and the customer decided he liked one of the other renderings better so the bow graphics are entirely different today from what was initially pictured.

You may have done something similar, I don't know, and could care less.

What I do know is that from an early age my son exhibited a natural artistic talent and that he started drawing as soon as he could hold a pencil. By age 14 he opened his own sign business, drew logos and lettered vehicles, race cars, go karts, etc. Instead of playing sports he came home from school and made decals and did graphic design for racers every night til bed time. When he graduated from high school he went to college and studied art, while still operating his sign business and after college he operated a full blown design and graphic art business that grew and prospered and he was doing developing and doing wraps when it was in its infancy. He did so well at it that at age 27 he was bought out by a major company. He had a 3 year no compete clause which he honored. When his contractual obligation expired he bought more equipment and started a new company. During his 3 year vacation, when he did work, it all revolved on designing new graphic schemes for boats and race cars.

That you did something similar is commendable and given that my son's work dates back to longer than your business has existed (according to any info I can find about your company), now that you have become a prominent figure in my life, I wonder where you got your inspiration from.

I don't apologize for telling the truth.
    Last edited by Ratickle; 06-27-2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: fixed quote bars

4. Collapse Details

Looks good would he like to buy anymore of our designs ?
    dont feel bad i was the first one ever to paint the chevy heart beat i think aways lol and then we were the first to paint ribbons etc
    with these wrap printers these days anyone can do it and they look awsome till you get really close and see the the skin and the glue holding the edges on
    these wraps killed the free style painters and the art of hand painting and masking is becoming a lost art i hated seeing it come about and the only reason the wrap,s even took off was the cheap prices over hand painting

but in all they look nice from a distance and in pictures

no offence (heavyhauler) your son is just keep pace with the times even nascar is using wraps now put my buddy out of work @ petty motorsport with 25 years in

5. Collapse Details

boat called spot light that was Bajas poker run boat
    This boat?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 72079c4_20.jpg  
    Run until it sounds expensive

6. Collapse Details

Some similarities, but to say it's a copy is a stretch..

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    I just called Lance & emailed him some pics to see about doing a wrap for my Jet Ski. I'd love to have it done to match my boat, so I hope he can do it

I think the ski would look great with a wrap that matches my boats' paint design:

8. Collapse Details

bet the ski is faster..

9. Collapse Details

As I was reading this thread on page 2, I was just about to post something about yet another Spotlight copy. The wrap looks nice (from the pictures) but its clearly the bastard child of Spotlight.
    Custom Boat Interiors & More............Check Out www.xt-innovations.com

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL LEE View Post
    I just called Lance & emailed him some pics to see about doing a wrap for my Jet Ski. I'd love to have it done to match my boat, so I hope he can do it

I think the ski would look great with a wrap that matches my boats' paint design:

That would look good.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

11. Collapse Details

I'm sorry but this is stupid. Every single day, boat owners take photos of other boats to painters and say "I want something that looks like that, but with this added or that removed." If you don't like it, tough ****.

Go try to trademark a "paint job" and let us all know how that goes......
    I'd rather be on the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with my boat on the rocks.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom1 View Post
    I'm sorry but this is stupid. Every single day, boat owners take photos of other boats to painters and say "I want something that looks like that, but with this added or that removed." If you don't like it, tough ****.

Bingo!
    Parabellum FJ²B

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by afr View Post
    dont feel bad i was the first one ever to paint the chevy heart beat i think aways lol and then we were the first to paint ribbons etc
    with these wrap printers these days anyone can do it and they look awsome till you get really close and see the the skin and the glue holding the edges on
    these wraps killed the free style painters and the art of hand painting and masking is becoming a lost art i hated seeing it come about and the only reason the wrap,s even took off was the cheap prices over hand painting

but in all they look nice from a distance and in pictures

no offence (heavyhauler) your son is just keep pace with the times even nascar is using wraps now put my buddy out of work @ petty motorsport with 25 years in
    i was right beside this boat Saturday and i could not tell it was a wrap and i have never liked them, to me they just don't shine, but this one does and it is smooth, hell i could not even tell where it is put on

14. Collapse Details

Looks good would he like to buy anymore of our designs ?
    i would say maybe you should be the one to apologize. Mr mod are you happy now.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom1 View Post

unfortunately you are correct and we have had people do the same thing I talked with Lance today its all good. Vinyl is the future from a cost point people want more for less and if you get tired of the design pull it off and put another design on.

I think he's doing a good job and if vinyl is what you want I wouldn't hesitate to call him.

as painters we are becoming obsolete with modern technology

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 03darkshadow View Post
    bet the ski is faster..

lol, the ski definitely burns through it's gas faster by comparison!

So far, it's exactly 102mph slower than the boat, but will smoke it off the line!

17. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So far, it's exactly 102mph slower than the boat,
    Better add some more HP.........

When it beats the boat, will it be the world's fastest stand-up ski??????
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    When it beats the boat, will it be the world's fastest stand-up ski??????

Hahaha, if for some reason it didn't take the worlds fastest stand up title with those numbers ..... I could at least take comfort in knowing I'd probably secure the worlds LONGEST wipeout distance, while attempting the speed record

19. Collapse Details

Oh, and just fyi to anyone considering using Lance for anything:

As I posted previously, I spoke with Lance yesterday about doing a wrap for the Jet Ski that would match my boat. After reviewing the pics I sent, he didn't feel confident that the wrap would install easily & correctly without having the ski there for him to do it himself.

While I'm bummed that I won't be able to do the project with him, I thought it was really cool of him to be honest about what his concerns were, and that he'd rather not charge & send me something that he isn't 100% positive will look perfect.

We all know, there are probably MANY other graphic shops out there that would have gladly taken my money, & sent their product anyway, regardless of whether it was going to fit properly or not. I could have ended up with a real mess on my hands, but Lance takes enough pride in his work to have turned down the job, instead of trying to make a quick buck by putting out a less than perfect product.

So, thanks a LOT Lance, and this post is my promise I made to you, that I would put the word out regarding the appreciative way you do business!

20. Collapse Details

lol, the ski definitely burns through it's gas faster by comparison!

So far, it's exactly 102mph slower than the boat, but will smoke it off the line!

haha. mine goes through gas like its free.