Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Drain plugs and karma
    So... I have this boat project. It is getting near splash time, so among a bunch of other things... I ordered a spare (garboard style) drain plug. It was like 3 bucks from one of the internet boat stores. I opened my mailbox yesterday and there was the plug.

Or so I thought.

I opened the outer box and inside was a smaller box of SIX drain plugs.

So I thought, "what do I do?" I just didn't feel like I could keep them. I would never know which plug was "really" mine. 5 out of 6 of those plugs were bad karma plugs.
    I mean, it's really easy to talk about integrity and talk about the integrity of others on the internet... but when it's just you and the mirror...hmmm.
    Nobody would have ever known if I kept them. But I would. And really... it's how I feel about myself that is more important than what others know or think. You can't put a price on the good feeling that you did the right thing.
    And...you just can't put anything bad karma on the boat. Especially a drain plug.

So... I called the company and explained what happened. They thanked me for my honesty, thanked me for letting them know about the mistake so they could check their process (they think that I am not the first one....) and told me to enjoy my 5 free drain plugs. Now, my bad karma drain plugs are good karma drain plugs.

If you would like a free "good karma" drain plug... pm me. I don't need six. Offer valid while supplies last.

2. Collapse Details

That was quick.

I have one left.

I'll return the pms and figure out how to get them to you later today. I have meetings soon. They will mail cheap. They weigh almost nothing.

Thanks for the pms.

3. Collapse Details

That sounds like you pay shipping. No.

I got the shipping.

4. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Honesty is always the best policy
    ________

5. Collapse Details

Good Karma is always best!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

6. Collapse Details

If nobody wants the last one, I will give it to a local.

7. Collapse Details

Do yourself a favor and put it somewhere safe- and where you don't forget it. There's nothing worse than getting to the ramp with every detail nailed down and ready to go and your drain plug is nowhere to be found.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Do yourself a favor and put it somewhere safe- and where you don't forget it. There's nothing worse than getting to the ramp with every detail nailed down and ready to go and your drain plug is nowhere to be found.
    So true.

I have 3 on the boat and 2 in the truck. I sure as hell am not missing a day on the water brcause of a drain plug
    SOS NINJA dancing on the boundaries of hell.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I saved three for me.

10. Collapse Details

Put a key ring on it, and put it on your truck keychain.

11. Collapse Details

Registered
    Just wait 'till you have all of them with you....

but you forget to put one in the drain hole.

12. Collapse Details

keep them in the door pocket of your truck.

13. Collapse Details

Keep them in the glove box on your boat.
    ________

14. Collapse Details

In a truck it's called a glove box....what do you call it on a boat?
    ________

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    In a truck it's called a glove box....what do you call it on a boat?
    condom, sunscreen, and beer coozie box.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    condom, sunscreen, and beer coozie box.
    After thinking whats in mine, YUP!
    ________

17. Collapse Details

Registered
    Question..
    I'm curious.Do that many of you really pull the plug every time you leave water?
    With all the things one needs to remember and worry about prior to a launch to ensure a successful day out, that is one thing I don't want to forget. Between loading the boat, gas, food, ice, beverages, toys for kids, personal items, music, safety, novice passengers, mechanical pre-checks, playing ramp ballet, etc... I don't want to forget that plug. Forgetting my sunglasses is about as much tragedy as I am willing to accept.
    Whenever I pull out I always run the pump, and maybe a quart or so is left behind at most. I'm ok with that. I don't want to be that guy, running down the ramp towards his boat after he just parked his rig, because people in the boat are yelling that his boat is taking on water. Which way do you go.. Take a chance that the plug is easily found, or hustle back to get that trailer.
    You know, after re-reading,{ "Whenever I pull out I always run the pump, and maybe a quart or so is left behind at most. I'm ok with that."}, that could make a nice signature..

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Question..
    I'm curious.Do that many of you really pull the plug every time you leave water?
    With all the things one needs to remember and worry about prior to a launch to ensure a successful day out, that is one thing I don't want to forget. Between loading the boat, gas, food, ice, beverages, toys for kids, personal items, music, safety, novice passengers, mechanical pre-checks, playing ramp ballet, etc... I don't want to forget that plug. Forgetting my sunglasses is about as much tragedy as I am willing to accept.
    Whenever I pull out I always run the pump, and maybe a quart or so is left behind at most. I'm ok with that. I don't want to be that guy, running down the ramp towards his boat after he just parked his rig, because people in the boat are yelling that his boat is taking on water. Which way do you go.. Take a chance that the plug is easily found, or hustle back to get that trailer.
    You know, after re-reading,{ "Whenever I pull out I always run the pump, and maybe a quart or so is left behind at most. I'm ok with that."}, that could make a nice signature..
    I pull the plug when I pull the boat. But historically... I have left boats in the water longer than I plan to leave this one. So... they have had more of a chance to take on rain, etc in the past. The plug is one of my items that I check before I leave the house with the boat. (I also run my engines before I leave the house also) I plan to leave one in the tow vehicle as well, and one with my tools. Just in case. I wouldn't back down a ramp without double checking my plug first.

And that would make a nice sig line.

19. Collapse Details

only one time have I had to jump into the water after not putting in a plug. took about 20 sec to remember....will never do it again

20. Collapse Details

The only time I pull the drain plug is during my winterizing process. The oil pan drain hose is tethered to it
    ________