Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS View Post
    1200 buses? Is that for an entire state?
    uhhh, no... one county... and i'm probably low at that number, and that doesn't include the police cars and service vehicles that serve over 500++ enrolled schools, again, this is in ONE county..... like I said, this isn't little league...
    Amsoil is a good product, I have used it for years, use it in my '07 Harley too, but going out to oil change intervals that you state, is.... well, uhhhh, <fill in the blanks>
    if your so confident that Ford will buy into your theory, get us an official statement from Ford, and get back to us... surely, Amsoil would have that if your SALES HYPE IS TELLING CUSTOMERS THAT, wouldn't they?
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer22 View Post
    OASIS MESSAGE :
    MULTIPLE VEHICLE LINES WITH 4.6L OR 5.4L ENGINE MAY EXPERIENCE AN ENGINE TICKING
    OR RATTLE NOISE THAT SOUNDS LIKE A STUCK TAPPET (HLA). THIS MAY BE DUE TO THE
    DETERIORATION OF AN AFTERMARKET OIL FILTER. VEHICLES WITH THIS CONDITION HAVE
    LOW OIL PRESSURE AT ONE CYLINDER HEAD ONLY, WHILE MAIN PRESSURES ARE NORMAL.
    DISLODGED MATERIAL FROM THE AFTERMARKET OIL FILTER BLOCKS THE CAM CAP OIL
    PASSAGE, EITHER AT CYLINDER #4 (RIGHT BANK REAR) OR CYLINDER #5 (LEFT BANK
    FRONT). FOR VCT EQUIPPED ENGINES, INSPECT THE VCT VALVE BODY AND THE OIL
    PASSAGES UNDER THE FIRST CAM CAP. DAMAGE TO ENGINES CAUSED BY AFTERMARKET OIL
    FILTERS ARE NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.

APPLICABLE SYMPTOM CODES :
    400000 ENGINE
    401000 ENGINE OIL SYSTEM CONCERNS
    497000 ENGINE NOISE CONCERNS
    499000 ENGINE BASIC ENGINE
    actually, this is a good support system for what I have to say now.... oil filters is a dirty word(s), literally... unlike oil(s), filter manufacturers do not have an SAE or API or any other spec they must adhere to in construction materials, media, filtration quality, absorption, or contaminant separation... it's a free for all to make the absolute cheapest filter for the marketing shelf stock... which is why most all car manufacturers aren't sticklers to oil brands as they are to oil filter usage. I am a HUGE fan of OEM quality oil filters, especially Ford. Cummins uses Fleetguard, GM uses AC Delco, yada yada... Most every filter builder has had degenerate days... Donaldson and Baldwin included... the absolute worst I have seen lately, actually for a longggg while now, has been Fram. Junk, pure junk.. CAT uses Donaldson, and for good reason, excellent product, i've NEVER seen a CAT branded filter EVER fail in 40 years of my turning screws.. I can't stress enough about filter and oil brand use in a HEUI engine... if you could spend 20 minutes in my shop and watch testing of HEUI injectors you would CLEARLY understand my sentiment... the school system we do work for uses CAT filters and NAPA Fleet 15W40 oil, which is Valvoline (same blend as Cummins Blue without the blue dye) in EVERY 3126 and C7, all are HEUI and also Navistar DT466 and, T444E, both HEUI. In the last 3 years since I convinced them to switch from Rotella T they have had virtually zero injector failures due to oil, previous to that they had at least 20-30 a month due to oil failure alone... turbo failures were 15-20 a month and now it's about 4-5... all they did was get rid of Rotella T oil. They do use NAPA Gold Series (Wix) filters in the gas engines and Cummins ISB's in the box delivery trucks. Once again, zero engine failures. Timed out wear outs, yes, oil related failures, no. Oil service is at 7500 for diesels or every 90 days, and 5,000 for gas. Fla D.O.T. has STRICT guidelines for school buses, every single school bus in this state gets inspected every 28 days, no if's, ands, or buts about it, and they have a zero tolerance policy for vehicle engine manufacturer guideline policys to be broken.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    uhhh, no... one county... and i'm probably low at that number, and that doesn't include the police cars and service vehicles that serve over 500++ enrolled schools, again, this is in ONE county..... like I said, this isn't little league...
    Amsoil is a good product, I have used it for years, use it in my '07 Harley too, but going out to oil change intervals that you state, is.... well, uhhhh, <fill in the blanks>
    if your so confident that Ford will buy into your theory, get us an official statement from Ford, and get back to us... surely, Amsoil would have that if your SALES HYPE IS TELLING CUSTOMERS THAT, wouldn't they?
    Ok well, I'm talking one city, not County, of 600+pieces of equipment. Now, if you'd like me to get into MACOMB County Road Commission, that also uses AMSOIL, we can definitely get in the neighborhood of 1200+ pieces of equipment, probably more! Now how would you like to hear of a battery truck fleet, who used to change oil every 3-5000 miles, now change oil every 100K miles?! Oh yeah, and have been doing so, also for nearly 17 years! That doesn't even factor in idle time! I can go on and on. Now you must realize that these companies/municipalities use oil analysis. They don't just drive that long on oil changes. There has been numerous tests done on their equipment over the years, and when all is said and done, these are the miles they have been able to get out of oil changes. I'm glad to hear you use it in your Harley, and hopefully you use the gearlube in the trans on that Harley, that is a noticeable difference. I wasn't trying to start any holy wars here, but, just provide some field experience that I have with the AMSOIL products.

I just noticed your post on filters, and yes you are absolutely correct on FRAM being complete junk!!! FYI, our EAO oil filters, use the same Donaldson Nanofiber media that is used in their Endurance line, in them. So as you say, Donaldson filters are very very good, which, not to put words in your mouth, must mean our EAO filters, are very very good also.
    Last edited by 07DominatorSS; 05-20-2010 at 09:21 PM.

4. Collapse Details

I like your outlook Bill. You have a great attitude! Sorry to be negative on your thread.

Thanks!! I ask you becasue you know!! I see no negativity from you at all!!!

5. Collapse Details

Did somebody say Apache?!?!?!? lmao

6. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    I do want to chime in on oil analysis. Ford (using Navistar engines) has no spec for what is contained in your oil. And no spec for gas engines. What do you use to compare known good oil from a vehicle at 3k on its oil.
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS View Post
    I just noticed your post on filters, and yes you are absolutely correct on FRAM being complete junk!!! FYI, our EAO oil filters, use the same Donaldson Nanofiber media that is used in their Endurance line, in them. So as you say, Donaldson filters are very very good, which, not to put words in your mouth, must mean our EAO filters, are very very good also.
    The Amsoil filters are, indeed, good, sometimes too good, any extra media stackup tends to lower the oil volume through them, so the industry is not a fan of stacked media filters that supposedly offer more protection.. this can be a bad thing... what the industry has a HUGE problem with is the syn. oil blenders bragging on extended intervals outside the engine manuf. guidelines, then walking away if there is a problem.. rest assured, the clamps are on, and the party is over, industrywide for that posturing... as far as my Street Glide, changing from the Harley syn oil to Amsoil was an oustanding difference in oil temp reduction. engine noise, and overall performance, I just can't brag enough on how good the Amsoil Harley oil is, the bike was miserably hot with the factory oil and HD syn oil, so much so I didn't ride it at all for the first 3 months after I bought it, until I added another oil cooler and the Amsoil, which lowered the oil temp about 50*, even more after the Race Tuner was installed...i'm talking from 256* on delivery day to below 200* most times now... but that doesn't mean it's staying in there for 20,000 miles LOL

carry on.....

8. Collapse Details

I do want to chime in on oil analysis. Ford (using Navistar engines) has no spec for what is contained in your oil. And no spec for gas engines. What do you use to compare known good oil from a vehicle at 3k on its oil.
    The lab compares the used oil to the same oil being new. I wish I could post a pic of a report from the lab that I personally use, The Oil Analysis Lab in Spokane, WA, but I can't. What the lab report shows is numerous things. Anything from water, antifreeze, viscosity, wear metal, and additives in the oil. They know what specs all these categories should be in, and then grade each category A,B,C,D or X. Obviously X being the worst. If these categories are within range of being new, then why change it, it would be just like putting new oil in. I wish I had the reports handy from the battery truck fleet I had mentioned. They used to use Rotella, and then switched to the AMSOIL 15w-40 Marine Diesel. At 100k they did an analysis of the 100K AMSOIL and one of the Rotella straight out of the bottle. Believe it or not, the AMSOIL with 100k on it, was still cleaner and stronger than the Rotella out of the bottle.

9. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    Example of what that special service message is saying. this is in my bay right now. he bought it used from us. dont know its previous maintinence history. but it can be assumed from another filter. it is getting two heads, cams, phazers, vct actuators, and vct housings. i have to get the engine out of it now and do all that work. it is covered by ford warranty. the truck is an 07. they do understand that this gentelman did not buy the truck new and they do know it is from a lack of maintinence.

So, on the other side of the coin.... If this was the first owner and he brought it in with the engine noise this is currently making. and it had a fram flilter on it and it was one of those days that they decided to send and inspector. he would be screwed.

the worse part of it all is the fact that this guy has the material from the scored cam bearings and worn cams in his oil. he does not get a long block or approval to tear it all down and have it cleaned and fixed. all he gets is heads. if it were mine i would want more done. but that is all i can do with old henry paying the bill. look at the staining in that engine. look at the staining on that cam. it sucks ya know.... so ... run the ford filters if it can save you all this hassle just run them. the 6.8 is this engine with 2 more cylinders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0521001301.jpg   0521001303.jpg  
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

10. Collapse Details

Registered
    My fleet is bigger than your fleet.... LOL