1. Collapse Details
    DON ARONOW MEMORIAL MARATHON RACE AROUND LONG ISLAND 9-18-10
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtWD...&feature=email

May 13, 2010
    Hi,
    This is the boat I "terrorized" with in 1981...Reggie's 1st boat...Kevlar hull with Merc 454's, twin turbocharged/Gale Banks set-up with Speedie II's...ran 86 MPH!
    As I am "setting up" for the DON ARONOW MEMORIAL MARATHON RACE AROUND LONG ISLAND... this is the run.
    On Sept 18th, 2010:
    We are starting at LaMotta's Restaurant/Manhasset Bay Marina in Port Washington, NY, heading North and going around Orient Pt Litehouse, then around Montauk Pt Litehouse, south around the Rockaways, up the Hudson River, up the East River and back to LaMotta's Restaurant.

Distance: 271 miles total. You can stop for fuel where ever you want.
    Stu Hayim in his 32 Skater, "RECOVERY" set the record for this course at 3 hours and 6 minutes in 1989 with Joey Impresscia on the throttles.
    Past Winners:
    1959: Jim Lacy 17' HUNTER w/70 HP Merc O/B 8 hrs and 30 min
    avg: 34.2 mph 280 miles
    1960: Chuck Mercereau 17' POWER CAT w/2-80 HP Merc O/B's 6 hrs
    avg: 46.7 mph 280 miles
    1961: Sam Griffith 31'Bertram GlASS MOPPIE 2-330 HP Chryslers 6 hrs 22 min
    avg: 44 mph 280 miles
    1962: Jim Wynne 19' Glastron GULFSTREAM 2-100 HP Volvos 6 hrs and 2 min
    avg: 42.9 mph 258.8 miles
    1963: Gene Bianco 19'ELTRO 2-100 HP Merc O/B's 5 hrs and 26 min
    avg: 44.2 mph 240 miles
    1964: Odell Lewis 25' Bertram MONA LOU 2-310 HP MerCruisers 5 hrs and 6 min
    avg: 48 mph 245 miles
    1965: Stanley Humes 20' OWENS 225 HP MerCruiser 7 hrs and 45 min
    avg: 30.2 mph 234 miles
    1966: Alan Brown 28'Donzi BROAD JUMPER 2-530HP Holman& Moodys 4 hrs & 42 min
    avg: 53.8 mph 253 miles
    1967: Dick Genth 28'Formula THUNDERBIRD IV 450 HP MerCruiser 5 hrs & 23 min
    avg: 47 mph 253 miles
    1968: Bill Sirois 31'Bertram SIDEWINDER 2-475 HP MerCruisers 3 hrs & 59 min
    avg: 63.5 mph 253 miles
    1969:Peter Rittmaster 31'Bertram AMERICAN MOPPIE 2-475HP MerCs 4 HRS& 33 min
    avg: 48.9 mph 222.5 miles
    ...and then the event moved to Point Pleasant, New Jersey in 1970.
    I am not sure why the distances around Long Island change/are different some years.

All interested parties in participating or being a Safety Boat, please contact me.
    This run is endorsed by Michael Aronow, Charlie McCarthy's "Historic Offshore Raceboat Association", and Guy LaMotta and his "Dry Martini" Race Team. Also, Guy's Manhasset Bay Marina and LaMotta's Restaurant, Port Washington, NY on Long Island Sound, are hosting this event
    ...Home of the Manhasset Bay "Gold Cup" Perpetual Trophy.
    Regards,
    Billy Frenz
    NATIONAL POWERBOAT ASSOCIATION
    Tel: 203-532-1312
    Direct e-mail: frenzyyy@optonline.net
    www.nationalpowerboat.com

PS: July 24th: Old Saybrook Poker Run
    Sept 4th: Buzzard's Bay Poker Run
    Sept 25th: Long Island Sound Poker Run

2. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Time to ........"Just do it!!!!!"

This is going to be one real open ocean race...just like the good old days.

If you have said........."I wish I could have raced back then, when the speeds were slower and the distances were longer"......this is your chance.

Get off the beach and come out and play with the big dogs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HORBA Flyer0001.jpg  
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

3. Collapse Details

Billy,

Is the fuel stop is at your own discretion, or is there a timed fuel stop for everybody?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by animalhouse View Post
    Billy,

Is the fuel stop is at your own discretion, or is there a timed fuel stop for everybody?
    The lead boats will probably run non-stop. How much fuel do you need to carry for a 3 plus hour run?
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

5. Collapse Details

As a teen ager sitting in a Power Cat I watched this boat come by!!!

That had me "hooked" on cats!!!

What a great event this will be.....Maybe I should save up for some gas money!!!!!

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nthdegree View Post

As a teen ager sitting in a Power Cat I watched this boat come by!!!

That had me "hooked" on cats!!!

What a great event this will be.....Maybe I should save up for some gas money!!!!!
    That hull (a modified Power Cat with a plywood deck called a "Bubble cat")sat in Port Washington at the Power Cat dealer and basically rotted away. We got both of our hulls, a 14C and a 15C, from that same dealer....and I should have grabbed the Bubble cat at the same time.
    Allergic to Nonsense

7. Collapse Details
    Fuel Stops
    Fuel Stops are at your own discretion...wherever you want/plan to stop.

8. Collapse Details

Rich......How is the gathering of former participant's in the Around Long Island Marathon coming?

That is a neat idea and a great warmup for the October meeting in Florida. If some of the guys who still have some of those old style boats, could bring them for display in the dry pits.......neat old Power Cats.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    That hull (a modified Power Cat with a plywood deck called a "Bubble cat")sat in Port Washington at the Power Cat dealer and basically rotted away. We got both of our hulls, a 14C and a 15C, from that same dealer....and I should have grabbed the Bubble cat at the same time.
    I worked for a doctor and convinced him to buy a Power Cat from that dealer!

We used to go to Louies's for lunch from New Rochelle and walked up the street one day, saw the "cat", he bought a cat and then a tri-hull the next year!!!

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    Rich......How is the gathering of former participant's in the Around Long Island Marathon coming?

That is a neat idea and a great warmup for the October meeting in Florida. If some of the guys who still have some of those old style boats, could bring them for display in the dry pits.......neat old Power Cats.
    I spoke to the Kalibats and they will come. George Linder is coming and so is Gene Bianco. So we have at least one former winner.

I would love to put together something for George, Gene and me to run in the event, but that is a stretch at this point as old Eltros are hard to find.
    Allergic to Nonsense

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nthdegree View Post
    I worked for a doctor and convinced him to buy a Power Cat from that dealer!

We used to go to Louies's for lunch from New Rochelle and walked up the street one day, saw the "cat", he bought a cat and then a tri-hull the next year!!!
    Louie's was the first restaurant I ever went to as a baby in 1947.....and my family still goes there from time to time just for the memories....sadly not the food.

I believe the Power Cat dealership was called Port Washington Marine, but I am having a senior moment so I am not sure.

We used the 14c as pleasure boat with a single Merc 850 on it and, of course, raced the 15c with a pair of 100's. Great boats.... and the 15c was a rocketship, probably the fastest boat in the region at that time outside of a couple of inboard hydros.

I hope my current 15c is ready for display at the this year's event. If not I will bring the wing...maybe both?
    Allergic to Nonsense

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by animalhouse View Post
    Billy,

Fuel stop?????? Fuel stop??????

We don't need no stinking fuel stops....... or beverage breaks....or splints or bandages or any of that sissy stuff !!!

Allergic to Nonsense

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Fuel stop?????? Fuel stop??????

We don't need no stinking fuel stops....... or beverage breaks....or splints or bandages or any of that sissy stuff !!!

And just to keep it old school tough, no one is allowed to sleep in a bed for two days before the race.

In the old days, we towed to a race site and then slept in the car to save money.

Hey...these days it is tough just getting into a car to drive. LOL

14. Collapse Details
    1st Entry into the "AROUND LONG ISLAND MARATHON"
    ------
    JOHN RUGGIERI, The 'King of Long Island Sound', with the Trophy to prove it, has entered his 40' Activator V-Bottom, "WHITE LIGHTNING", powered by twin-turbocharged CHIEF Engines and #6 Merc speedmasters, into the Don Aronow Memorial Marathon Race Around Long Island.
    The boat is capable of running 119 mph, but speed is not the only factor...navigation and endurance will play a big part in placing in this 271 mile event.
    Guy LaMotta's Manhasset Bay Marina and Restaurant will host the event and many NPBA Hall of Famer's plan on attending and even competing once again.
    Some of the past winners also will be attending...This will be the "OFFSHORE" PLACE TO BE for this Sept 18th event...and reactivate the Perpetual MANHASSET BAY GOLD CUP TROPHY
    www.nationalpowerboat.com