Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Is the up hill exhaust that big of an issue? So im getting the consensus that the best thing to do is probably get bravos on the boat?

2. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by baja931 View Post
    Is the up hill exhaust that big of an issue? So im getting the consensus that the best thing to do is probably get bravos on the boat?
    YES & YES !!!!!!!

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Whether it is salt water or not the engines look original. I suspect they made be near the end of their life. Boats have a way of $1000ing you to death. I would budget for engines too. So I will guess you will throw 15k at it real quick. You could easily spend twice that depending on the choices you make.. I agree it is a good looking boat sitting on a nice trailer. What is it? The Hull id number will say. The 1st three letters are the manufacturer code.

4. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Whether it is salt water or not the engines look original. I suspect they made be near the end of their life. Boats have a way of $1000ing you to death. I would budget for engines too. So I will guess you will throw 15k at it real quick. You could easily spend twice that depending on the choices you make.. I agree it is a good looking boat sitting on a nice trailer. What is it? The Hull id number will say. The 1st three letters are the manufacturer code.
    He said earlyer K&K Industries...pop of from excalibur i bet !
    been a lot of them done in the early 80's..

K&K was a boat manufactor in Michigan in the 80's Hull ID should start with KNK !!!!!!

5. Collapse Details

From the hull id it says it was made by K&K industries, i have never heard of them. I believe they went out of business a while ago. But yes it is a very nice trailer and the boat itself looks quite nice. SO bravos is the recomendation then. No we just need to get a set and get them put in. Will probably be coming back here for more help on that. What do you guys think should be done abotu steerign and the exhaust? Im not sure if my dad is going to want to throw in new engines into it right now or not. But its up to him.

6. Collapse Details

There are a number of ways to go . Used 496 exhaust would be my first choice. Change the steering cylinders again there is used stuff around, I suggest you add electronic ignition to the list too.

7. Collapse Details

and yes it does start with KNK. So one more time also what was your guy's recomendations to go about putting a bravo in the boat. How would you do it

8. Collapse Details

Banned
    From the hull id it says it was made by K&K industries, i have never heard of them. I believe they went out of business a while ago. But yes it is a very nice trailer and the boat itself looks quite nice. SO bravos is the recomendation then. No we just need to get a set and get them put in. Will probably be coming back here for more help on that. What do you guys think should be done abotu steerign and the exhaust? Im not sure if my dad is going to want to throw in new engines into it right now or not. But its up to him.
    The exhaust, i would leave for now...on the steering i would buy a add on steering system from Hardin marine ( and just change everything on the transom ),, the inside and the helm i bet are fine !!!!!
    U can get a add on system for about 2500 Bucks NEW !!!
    Or search used,,,plenty around....only thing u need are transom mounts,rams and wingplates or steering back plates for bravos and then just set them up the way they should be , hoses u can get made in a hydraulic shop !!!

9. Collapse Details

Briefly,,Pull engines, fill transom, change bellhousings. Relocate engines if you don't add boxes. It is labor intensive.

I am out. Best of luck

10. Collapse Details

Ok i was just making sure that you were recomending filling the hull and then starting fresh pretty much. I know earlier someone had mentioned maybe not filling the hull i just wanted to see what the thought was on that

11. Collapse Details

Banned
    Ok i was just making sure that you were recomending filling the hull and then starting fresh pretty much. I know earlier someone had mentioned maybe not filling the hull i just wanted to see what the thought was on that
    I mentioned that if u go boxes there is a way around all that...is it proffesional..maybe not , will it work ...100% , did i do it .YES and still running today..!

12. Collapse Details

So you really think this would work not filling the hull just using the plates?

13. Collapse Details

Banned
    So you really think this would work not filling the hull just using the plates?
    YES !!!!!!, the drive shaft does not care if its 10 or 10.5 inches long..so u can leave the engines at the place where they at and only would need to change the driveplate and get rit of the trannys !!!!

14. Collapse Details

You will still need to add a rear engine plate mount. A motor with a drive line needs to be carried on four corners. Not filling the transom allows you to skip one of the many steps. If it were me I would fill it. You can weight your own options.

I would suggest you make a list to add up estimated cost. Then compare to what you can buy running for that. Many times when you piece things together you end up spending more or you could end up with a mess. In the end you want to be able to enjoy it and be proud of it. This is a lot of work for some one who has the means and experience to do it. If you haven't done this before or you need to pay to have it done I suggest you give it a lot of thought before diving in your bilge and wallet.
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 05-10-2010 at 08:33 AM.

15. Collapse Details

You can also consider a pair of outboards.

16. Collapse Details

Well we got a really good deal on this boat, espcialy with how nice of a trailer it came with. Even if we put 10 to 12 thousand into it i think he would still be money ahead on it.

17. Collapse Details

Banned
    Well we got a really good deal on this boat, espcialy with how nice of a trailer it came with. Even if we put 10 to 12 thousand into it i think he would still be money ahead on it.
    i did a little research on your boat...its poped from a cobra 32 not excalibur !

So the hull is the exact same thing as in my picture !!!!! Nice boat ...get-r-done

18. Collapse Details

The boat was located here in holland mich at one time were it spent most of its lifetime here on lake Mac and Mich right down the street & in fact orginally the boat's color was a reddish orange jell coat before it got painted which when ordered new came with the biggest stern Power drives that were made at the time . I looked at the boat a few years back to purchase it because it was going for an unbeliievable price and as it turned out if you snooze you loose and could please post pics of the deck and sides to be sure if that is the same boat . Just curious where is your location ?

19. Collapse Details

Maybe.

Boats have a habit of being alot more expensive that you originally think they'll be. I really wouldn't just dive in. I'd make an effort to identify everything that's going to need to be done. And make a list with a realistic budget attached

For example, it's likely got the original wiring and fuel tanks in it. They don't last forever. In fact, they last about as long as that boat is old. A re-rig and tanks is not cheap or easy. If it's got rot in a stringer or bulkhead, you're looking at some significant work- assuming you have the ability to do it yourself. On the engines, I'd get them running and do a leakdown on them. That will tell you where you're at condition-wise. To a degree. These aren't car engines loping along at 30% load at 1400 rpm. They're running at 70-80% power at 4500 almost all the time with blasts to 100% at 5500 pretty regularly. If they've got 3-400 hours on them, a refresh is probably in order. And that's cheaper than rods thru the blocks.

Back to your list- there are alot of parts on a boat. None of it lasts forever. And parts for this boat cost the same as the identical parts on a new $250K boat. And if you find yourself replacing them all piecemeal, you can find yourself accidentally owning a $60,000 boat that's worth $25K. Lastly, being an off-brand, it's never going to be worth whatever you put into it. Dumping money into a 25-year-old Cigarette is a losing proposition. When you're doing it on a Brand X boat, it's way worse.

None of this is intended to discourage you. It's to help you think ahead and make an informed choice.

20. Collapse Details

and yes it does start with KNK. So one more time also what was your guy's recomendations to go about putting a bravo in the boat. How would you do it
    Yes it is a Clem Gem well known here in Michigan. Jim made boats by many names, Lancer, Marine Dynamic Marine, Preditor, Aero, & Awesome Marine. If you look these names up on the net [ this site & others] you will find all you need to know about his boats.